Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EllipsusD

A stupid question.

I'm sure this has been discussed a number of times before, but I don't remember having seen it. By the time I got into PC gaming both Doom and Doom 2 were already out, and I had seen both of them so they weren't really anything new to me by the time I got my own copies of them. I was just curious, though, for those of you who started out with or before the first Doom, what was it like when Doom 2 came out? I mean, what were your first impressions of it and everything?

I remember when my dad beat Doom and they had that scene at the end of the game where you see the city burning, and he was like "yeah, I heard there is a Doom 2 out now". So like a few weeks later he got Doom 2 and I watched him play that. After a while I noticed there were new enemies and a new weapon. I thought the boss at the end was pretty threatening too.

the_Danarchist said:

I thought the boss at the end was pretty threatening too.

Dude, its a fucking wall.

fraggle said:

Yes, but this was back in like 95 or something, and I was like 12. And that voice is pretty cool sounding too. Also, anything that continuoulsy spawns monsters is pretty threatening if you ask me. o_O

fraggle said:

that 'wall' scared the bejesus out of me when I first saw it. I didn't know how Doom worked back then, all I knew is this big goat faced motherfucker is talkin satan at me and spewing monsters out of his freakin' forehead!

Yeah. When I saw that end boss for the first time when my brother was playing, I was pretty unnerved. Though I loved the voice of that thing -- my mom made me leave the room because she thought it was too satanic for me.

It all seems hazy now but I was playing Doom 1 back in 1993 and this was before the big internet explosion and I didn't know anybody else beside my own small circle of friends who were even remotely interested in computer games much less Doom so we didn't know that there was going to be a Doom 2 out until like 1995 when it was already out.

Heh.

Use3D said:

that 'wall' scared the bejesus out of me when I first saw it. I didn't know how Doom worked back then, all I knew is this big goat faced motherfucker is talkin satan at me and spewing monsters out of his freakin' forehead!

This is true. The first time I saw it, I didnt know what was going to happen. All I saw was this big freakin goat head. I didnt hear the sounds though, no speakers.

I remember being disapointed with the maps and the textures. The only thing I liked were the monsters, and the new weapon. I feel the same way today.

Little Faith said:

Ditto, but my dissapointment with the soundtrack were even bigger.

I don't like most of the tracks either. So I when I got Doom 2 back in '94 I replaced them with music from Doom 1 and the game was twice as much fun!

Doom2 was as much fun as the original one the first time I played it through, the new monsters and ssg was a lot of fun, and boy was the monster teleport on map16 the best thing ever or what? After I while I got tired of doom2 though and deleted it from my HD (installed it again when I got internet access (in 95/96, don't remember exactly) so I could play pwads I found on the internet).

btw, 1000 posts. /me celebrates.

I loved the new stuff that was in Doom II but I preferred the style and flavor of Doom I.

Use3D said:

I suppose everyone knows by now that if you play the "satan talk!" backwards it says "To win the game you must kill me John Romero!" hence why Romero's head is on a stick. Go to Romero's website for proof (only applies to you if you're a newbie).

I dunno if i've said this before but i've never thought doom was a crap game.

When i heard that doom 2 was out i thought cool! Never saw any screenshots that revealed the new monsters though. Methinks reading doom64 in a official nintendo magazine (that's what it's called) is what got me into Doom. I remember playing doom64 (an import from USA, 4 months before it came out over here) for a view moments, killed a zombie. So when i heard my buddy had doom on snes i asked him if i could see the manual. i saw the manual and began comparing the doom64 designs to the old designs. Then i played it a few weeks later.

5 years on i'm a doom nut. Doom will live forever. Nuff said.

I remember that I first heard that there was a Doom 2 out there and I started asking questions like mad.

Before I got to see even one screenshot of the actual game, I learned a few things that made me oh-so excited.

Things like, double-barreled shotgun, a demon that could conjure up fire to burn you (Archvile of course, though the guy who told me this mixed it up with a revenant, because he described its movements as the way the revenant moves).

And I heard that all the old enemies and the face in the hud were still there, so naturally I was pleased.
When I finally saw a screenshot I was horribly disappointed. All this time of asking questions about it, I had envisioned something with even more realistic and less crispy graphics and with new gameplay features - and then it turned out to be Doom 1 with a db shotty and a few new enemies.

Nonetheless, I wanted it so badly that I thought I was gonna explode, so I did get it at last and played it. The first couple of months I was hooked, for it was new levels for Doom (and I didn't have an internet back then so downloading an editor to make your own wads or downloading levels was out of the question) with new monsters and all. But then I grew tired of it and went back to good ol' Doom 1, 'cause I liked the atmosphere, the music and the levels in Doom 1 better.

I actually owned Doom 2 before I could get my hands on Doom 1, other than shareware. My first Doom experience is playing Map02 in Radio Shack, and not knowing how to open the doors because the fucker before me remapped the keys. :P

I remember playing DooM2 on a friend's computer without knowing it was another version... Until I picked up a shotgun that looked a bit different... I remember thinking 'is this all?', but that was ofcourse before I found a Hellknight etc...

BlueSonnet said:

I suppose everyone knows by now that if you play the "satan talk!" backwards it says "To win the game you must kill me John Romero!" hence why Romero's head is on a stick. Go to Romero's website for proof (only applies to you if you're a newbie).

Yeah, there was a thread on this not too long ago, I think. I always wondered what language it was speaking in until someone suggested extracting it to .wav format and listening to it backwards. It was funny. It's amazing how good it sounds played backwards with that speed and echo; it sounds pretty demonic. It's a cute easter egg anyway.

Anyone that's never heard it backwards should do so right away.

Well, being new to the internet (and not being too interested in newsgroups, I think I might have actually posted in alt.doom once or twice after I got DOOM ][) I didn't know that DOOM 2 was in development until I got a DOOM strategy guide (kinda stupid, since I only had shareware) that mentioned it. Then I got it for my birthday, which really surprised me (my parents thought I spent way too much time on DOOM).

Then I got DOOM ][. Always thought that the atmosphere was kinda drab, and it wasn't until around 98 that I played Ultimate DOOM over at my friends house and finally played episodes 2 and 3.

I played Doom in 1994 but didn't get to play Doom2 until 1996 or so and I found it to be totally awesome, especially the chaingunner.

Nowadays though I find myself harping over that retro E1-goodness :)

pritch said:

I played Doom in 1994 but didn't get to play Doom2 until 1996 or so and I found it to be totally awesome, especially the chaingunner.

Nowadays though I find myself harping over that retro E1-goodness :)

Seems like out of everything in Doom, all the levels/mods/custom wads and such, everyone ends up going right back to the beginning, good ol' E1. Why? Cause it's the best fucking episode design ever devised in FPS. What else ya want me to say?

Anyway, I actually never played D2, except for the PSX version, which is totally different after the intro levels, until I bought the collectors edition. I remember sayin I was gonna play the game in chronological order, and it seemed like it took forever to complete Ultimate Doom and then I was FINALLY able to play Doom II.
It wasn't as good as I expected but it was still great, I was kinda disappointed at the final level, but then again I'd played through Final Doom so I guess I wrongfully expected somethin new.

^I'd love to see the PSX version on PC, some of its D2 levels were really kool, especially the end seemed better than the PC D2's last level.

I didn't even know when Doom II came out. I went to a friends house and he was playing it. I was like, "Whoa, a double barrel shotgun!!"

You think that was bad? I first played DOOM 2 on a friends computer who somehow got his music setup, but was using the PC speaker for SFX. I showed him how to change it, and he was amazed....until he heard the chainsaw, at which point he called his dad into the room to demonstrate it. Heh heh heh...

(I also remember that I only knew 3 DOOM cheat codes at the time (IDDQD, IDKFA, IDSPISPOPD), from the friend who loaned me his Shareware diskettes, and I was pissed off when I got stuck in the outside lava pit in The Crusher, and couldn't figure out why IDSPISPOPD didn't work. So I was stuck and never got to see the insanity that was Dead Simple until I owned the game.)

*memories*

Dude...... when doom2 finally came out I played it for months, every day, for as much time as I could...! And then I seen all the new stuff it gave us level builder's to work with, and was like kick ass...!!! Plus when I first saw the Pain Elemental I was like... What the fuck is that floating ball of shit, and its spittin out skull's!!!

I got the fist week it was out.There was alot of talk about it in school. I thought that it was a sweet game intel the icon of sin.To this day I think the icon of sin is thwe wrost boss in game history.What a load of crap!

The_Aeromaster said:

I'd love to see the PSX version on PC, some of its D2 levels were really kool, especially the end seemed better than the PC D2's last level.

Check out consoledoom.wad for some of the best (or most changed) PSX maps and few N64 maps.

lethal_chicken said:

Boo Fucking Hoo

Alright, Mantrain. Now your pics aren't even making any sense.