Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

The "Ask a Simple DOOM Question" Thread

44 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

I have no idea.

So you ask a question if other people have the same issue (Which is unlikely: This is such a general issue that if more users had issues with this, it would have been reported and fixed already) without describing what you did or how your folder looks like, then when asked how that happened, you don't know.

I know you don't know, but at the same time, it makes reporting this extremely difficult to solve. Because what you are essentially saying is this:

• ''I have a problem with Doom.''
  • ''What seems to be the problem?''
  • ''I have no idea''.
  • ''Are ya winning son?''

Nowhere in this example conversation is there a detail other people can pick up upon to provide a semblance of help.
IF you really want a solution, then we need either a screenshot, a message of the error code that is possibly generated, a copy of the log, and so on.

In order to do that, knowing your past issues with GZ, you likely need your friend or brother to do this for you.

25 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

We know.

tumblr_m9x2g5UlAd1r5va4eo1_r2_400.gif

EDIT:

14 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

It may be about PC. It is a cheap one.

It IS about your PC since that's where you have GZDoom installed upon. That's not the issue.

The issue is that you provide the most rudimentary description of your problem without any details for others to help you out with.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:53 PM, kalaeth said:

I do. But I also use auto-aim so the crosshair isn't even pointing at whatever it is I'm shooting at most times :D

if you're running gzdoom, there's a mod called precise crosshair that fixes this.

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

So you ask a question if other people have the same issue (Which is unlikely: This is such a general issue that if more users had issues with this, it would have been reported and fixed already) without describing what you did or how your folder looks like, then when asked how that happened, you don't know.

I know you don't know, but at the same time, it makes reporting this extremely difficult to solve. Because what you are essentially saying is this:

• ''I have a problem with Doom.''
  • ''What seems to be the problem?''
  • ''I have no idea''.
  • ''Are ya winning son?''

Nowhere in this example conversation is there a detail other people can pick up upon to provide a semblance of help.
IF you really want a solution, then we need either a screenshot, a message of the error code that is possibly generated, a copy of the log, and so on.

In order to do that, knowing your past issues with GZ, you likely need your friend or brother to do this for you.

tumblr_m9x2g5UlAd1r5va4eo1_r2_400.gif

EDIT:

It IS about your PC since that's where you have GZDoom installed upon. That's not the issue.

The issue is that you provide the most rudimentary description of your problem without any details for others to help you out with.

See the time 3:24 on the video

At 3:24

1 hour ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

See the time 3:24 on the video

At 3:24

I see you do a save at 3.19 in File 7 (From the top down, called ''nightmare''), followed by another save in the same file at 3.22. That's (barely) 3 seconds inbetween saves.

If i remember correctly, you aren't running a cutting edge computer but a rather old one, so with a mechnical hard drive. It seems to me that the time GZDoom is given to save the 3.19 one takes longer than the barely 3 seconds you are giving it before you save over the file again. As a result, GZDoom locks up and is followed by a crash to desktop, it seems.

I don't think this is a GZDoom issue perse, but rather either a hard drive issue or a personal issue. Why save after every 2 or so second?*

*Contrary to your display name you play on Nightmare here. I reckon that more frequent saves are needed here, but i cannot tell if it is considered normal for Nightmare playthroughs to save every 2-3 seconds, or after every 2-3 monsters killed. That kind of writing operation to disk constantly may have an effect on your hard drive, which i believe is a more likely reason as to why GZDoom crashes this way.

21 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I see you do a save at 3.19 in File 7 (From the top down, called ''nightmare''), followed by another save in the same file at 3.22. That's (barely) 3 seconds inbetween saves.

If i remember correctly, you aren't running a cutting edge computer but a rather old one, so with a mechnical hard drive. It seems to me that the time GZDoom is given to save the 3.19 one takes longer than the barely 3 seconds you are giving it before you save over the file again. As a result, GZDoom locks up and is followed by a crash to desktop, it seems.

I don't think this is a GZDoom issue perse, but rather either a hard drive issue or a personal issue. Why save after every 2 or so second?*

*Contrary to your display name you play on Nightmare here. I reckon that more frequent saves are needed here, but i cannot tell if it is considered normal for Nightmare playthroughs to save every 2-3 seconds, or after every 2-3 monsters killed. That kind of writing operation to disk constantly may have an effect on your hard drive, which i believe is a more likely reason as to why GZDoom crashes this way.

Pc is new but cheap.

It is a new, cheap pc. It was bought in 2020.

This problem only happens with GZDoom on my pc.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

21 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Pc is new but cheap.

It is a new, cheap pc. It was bought in 2020.

This problem only happens with GZDoom on my pc.

Well, then we need specific save logs and what not. But i feel that's best reserved for a seperate thread.

21 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

I think your edit or your post ran faulty, as it is now empty. :O

If you tried to do multiple quotes, press space a few times. The forum software will automatically break each sentence apart in a new sub quote.

4 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I think your edit or your post ran faulty, as it is now empty. :O

If you tried to do multiple quotes, press space a few times. The forum software will automatically break each sentence apart in a new sub quote.

Nope, i just erased what i wrote because i certainly don't properly know if what i said was right on technical level.
So i delete my own inneficiency, but well, it still left marks...

Look like a Harddrive issue. Remember that it's like rewriting a single demo every 3 seconds, the same time of recording, the same time it's playing on gzdoom. Will not say it's a SDD becuase you say it's a PC Cheap.

So my take if the system softlocked and crashed to desktop to deny any garbage memory to write.

28 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Nope, i just erased what i wrote because i certainly don't properly know if what i said was right on technical level.

Then you can report your own post and delete it under the disguise of an oopsie :)

No harm done. It happens to everyone.

4 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Then you can report your own post and delete it under the disguise of an oopsie :)

No harm done. It happens to everyone.

Probably i should do that.

But well, i don't like to bother people.

Thanks anyway, i really forget about that option, and this also may help another people reading this.

:D

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

This is quite literally a question that has been asked often enough to search first.

2 things... I searched this for an hour and got nowhere. I don't know what you're using to search, but I haven't seen the answer anywhere except from this thread. also, the point of this thread is so you can ask a quick question and get a quick response (also to cut down on unnecessary threads), searching it up can (as it did with me) take hours to find the answer, so if somebody has that answer on them, it is easier for them to give you it instead of you wasting a part of your day on finding it. 

Another thing that might just be personal, I like when somebody specifically answers my question, it makes me feel good. Don't know why.

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I do not quite understand how a week absence affects your current capability to write posts.

I know, right?

32 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Probably i should do that.

But well, i don't like to bother people.

Thanks anyway, i really forget about that option, and this also may help another people reading this.

:D

It gets the job done if its a clumsy mistake. Works also well on threads if you want to stop participation: Just report your OP and request a lock.

26 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

2 things... I searched this for an hour and got nowhere. I don't know what you're using to search, but I haven't seen the answer anywhere except from this thread.

Doom Search: ''First Ever Megawad'', sorted by Relevancy, 13th hit. Its this thread.

searching it up can (as it did with me) take hours to find the answer, so if somebody has that answer on them, it is easier for them to give you it instead of you wasting a part of your day on finding it. 

I reckon its more that you are using the wrong search terms to get where you want.

I know, right?

Then why mention it? It bears no relevancy to your question.

EDIT:

5 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Which gun kills stupidity and where can I get one?

image.png.26264716201c8c057ad1d33fd11e50ba.png

Come on now, that's a bit harsh. Lit is one of the younger Doomers out there.

2 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Oh nonononono, I was just having a NIGHTMARE...

And you do not have pmanswering much as i...
Just accept it...

You can't escape this Nightmare.

10 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Archiving, documentation, playtesting, and so on.

A lot of ports are rather source modifications, adding in specific features that aren't elaborate enough to be a new port, but subtle enough that it would not end up in the main port.

THANK YOU! The only other answer(s) I got just said "different ports do different things" which I literally said I understood in my question. Thanks a ton @Redneckerz. Also, no offense meant to the other people who responded. I probably should have been clearer.

Okay, I got one - how do you run PWADs in Chocolate Doom with their corresponding music wads?  I'm currently playing Requiem, and I wanna hear that original MIDI goodness

1 hour ago, Maximum Matt said:

Okay, I got one - how do you run PWADs in Chocolate Doom with their corresponding music wads?  I'm currently playing Requiem, and I wanna hear that original MIDI goodness

You add it after the pwad.

So Doom2 -file av.wad avmus.wad.

And perhaps this helps.

15 hours ago, P41R47 said:

I thought you were just taking the piss by quoting nothing because nothing (constructive) was there to quote! :P haha...

5 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

I thought you were just taking the piss by quoting nothing because nothing (constructive) was there to quote! :P haha...

There is always a way to help the other or lend a hand, pal!

And joking all the time on the same subject its not funny, either.
Its just that i don't know much of the technical side of things, specifically, save problems.

I don't remember having a HD break or failure.

So, instead of made asumptions, i delete myself.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:22 AM, Redneckerz said:

You add it after the pwad.

So Doom2 -file av.wad avmus.wad.

And perhaps this helps.

Do I write that in the 'Add Wads' box?  In the 'F1 = Warp' options screen? Or somewhere else?

48 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Do I write that in the 'Add Wads' box?  In the 'F1 = Warp' options screen? Or somewhere else?

Here you go.

In the commandline (So a commandline prompt). This is assuming Chocolate Doom and not a launcher (You didn't specify one)

Are the Lost Souls like the souls of people who have been sent to hell? Or are they baby Pain Elementals.

Edited by Doomsdλy1993

8 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Why can't Doom guy jump like Duke?

From www.resetera.com,

The original Doom is technically a 2D game with a 3D-projection perspective view. All verticality you see in the game is an illusion, so as a result you can't actually jump or 'fall' in the game, since everything from a game-logic perspective takes place in 2D.

I guess Duke was 3d, or it was also an illusion.