Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

ZDoomGL 0.73 is up!

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=63545

Pretty much just bugfixes and minor optimizations. Also updated to ZDoom 2.0.38 and added that texture image processing stuff (see readmegl.txt in the package).

SinCity 2 works pretty good with this and I seem to have the crashing issues worked out now.

Things planned for 0.74:

- major rewrite to the rendering code: sorting polygons based on texture id to avoid any redundant texture binds. Hopefully this will net a large increase in framerate in large maps (to get an idea of what I'm hoping it'll be like, set gl_texture to 0).
- keep updating to new versions of ZDoom (hopefully 2.1 will "go gold" soon, though!)
- change the particle to use a texture instead of just a patch for its image so it can be animated and stuff (and be hires and the other benefits of textures)...
- suggestions (besides stuff like md2 models and dynamic lighting, since I've already outlined when that stuff will happen...)???

Linguica said:

For some reason all the reds are black and the game runs at about 1 FPS.

Whoa, wtf is up with that? What kind of video card do you have? Maybe try installing it to a new directory?

GeForce 2 MX, it's nothing particularly weird. It's like the game is running in software GL for some reason. Installing to a new dir doesn't help.

Bizarre.

I have a Geforce2 and it works fine, SlayeR has a GF2MX and it works fine for him, too. Enjay has a Voodoo3 and it even works for him!

Maybe try installing the latest Detonators for the GF2MX? Set gl_texture_format to "GL_RGB5_A1"? Make sure Photoshop isn't open (OpenGL programs get all messed up on this machine when Photoshop is open for some reason, but not at home...)?

If you're running in fullscreen mode, try setting gl_vid_refresh to 60. Maybe it's getting a bad refresh rate or something =/

Never mind heh, I installed XP last week and I never updated my drivers. I guess this was the first GL game I tried since then.

That'd probably be it :)

How is XP, anyway? I'm on the fence about getting it. Seems like it's all flash, but doesn't offer much more than Win2k... But on the other hand most people seem to like it so far...

If you like win2k stick with it, you really dont gain a lot with XP as far as I can tell. Plug and play finally seems to work smoothly and i've yet to have the OS crash.

Ok tested map20 of AV, took a while to enter the map but once in it ran fine @1024x768.

Tried RTC-3057 demo which runs really slow even at 640x480, looks nice tho :). I'll see if I can speed it up with different settings.

Hmm, so long as the flat is the same format as normal flats it should be ok. I'll check it out when I get home (I don't have any IWAD's except the Shareware one at work)...

You can set the scaling factor for the sector to undo the resizing to 64*64. I can't for the life of me remember how to do that, though :)

Sector_SetFLoorScale (x, 10, 10, 10, 10);

hackey hackey hack hack

Maybe this works?

It's in BMP format, not in RAW format (i.e. it got it's own palette, but it put it in with Doom's palette).
Do you mean using ACS to scale the flat?

Hmm, well, it should be interesting to see if it works then. The flat loading just reads the entire lump and just assumes it's all color indexes (I guess that's in RAW format)...

Ed said:

Sector_SetFLoorScale (x, 10, 10, 10, 10);

That'd rather totally fuck up the scaling (I guess) :) Better use something like
Sector_SetFloorScale(1, 2, 0, 2, 0);
which will scale the flat from 64x64 to 128x128.

Heh, I just tried it out.. it does work. I'm gonna make an oscilating scrips to zoom in/zoom out with a switch.. see how that works.. maybe display the current scale it's at?

Well, the lump is 4195382 bytes big, but a raw 2048x2048 flat should only be 4194304, so there are 1078 too much. Oh yeah, something I forgot: the flat is mirrored on the x-axis in the game.

Cool, so it does work, then! It wouldn't surprise me if the flats were flipped in the game. There aren't many flats that have a specific orientation, so I probably just never noticed...

But yeah, it should be in RAW format after all, I guess.

timmie said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the flats were flipped in the game. There aren't many flats that have a specific orientation, so I probably just never noticed...

I just tried out Doom1 E1M8 and the demon face flats at the end are fine (i.e. not flipped). Maybe it's because BMPs are stored upside down (they are, aren't they?). I'll try to put in a .jpg.

[edit]
I played around a bit and that's what I found out:

- .jpg resulted in randomly colored pixels as a flat
- hi-color .bmp resulted in a black flat (took ages to load though, 16mb as a single flat is pretty big ;)
- non-Doom paletted 8-bit .bmp resulted in image with wrong colors

Here is a screenshot I took from a wallpaper (by zarcyb) I converted to a flat. Very nice, except that it's limited to Doom's palette.

Ok, I just saved the image as a raw file (without the palette) and now it's not flipped.

Sweet. Less work for me :)

How big is it? Think you could email that to me (zdoomgl@shaw.ca), or upload it somewhere? I gotta check that out...

Szymanski said:

Ok tested map20 of AV, took a while to enter the map but once in it ran fine @1024x768.

Tried RTC-3057 demo which runs really slow even at 640x480, looks nice tho :). I'll see if I can speed it up with different settings.

Thats most likely due to the way the fonts are done right now. RTC-3057 always has some text visible on screen and that's painfully slow right now :(

I'm going to be revisiting that stuff for 0.74 now that decals are loading fine...

timmie said:

Sweet. Just flip it in an imaging program before adding it to the wad, I guess...

You can use the shareware version of DeePsea to import the BMP, make the large FLAT and avoid all of the hacking and conversions and save yourself a lot of time. There are no restrictions on any of the F7 PWAD import/export tools.

Cool, I'll have to check that out. I wasn't sure if those features were available in the Shareware version, and not being a mapper I didn't have it handy :)

But yeah, there's no theoretical limit to the size of the flats in ZDoomGL (0.73, of course) other than the amount of memory you have and the maximum texture size for your card... 2048*2048 is about the highest I'd recommend, though, since that's the upper limit for Geforce4 class cards (I think, anyway).

A size max of 2048 is a pretty good practical limit - that's the max DeePsea supports for now. Beyond that (for a single stretched tile) can be be done anyway by just splitting it up into multiples as before.

The supported import formats are BMP or PCX. Color depth doesn't matter and the colors are auto-mapped to the DOOM palette. Usually what people do is use PSP though and map the image to the DOOM palette to make sure ahead of time that the colors come out ok.