Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

The "Ask a Simple DOOM Question" Thread

@sluggard I think what they mean is that you aren't technically falling, the screen could be changing so it gives the appearance of falling or jumping, when in fact, Doomguy is doing neither. I'm not sure, though. It might just be a mistake. 

4 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I'm not sure, though. It might just be a mistake. 

Yeah probably, It's ResetEra so it's possible lol

1 minute ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

You can't jump without weapons or enemies? Duke can.

Nope, unless you decide to use a sourceport, but then you'd be cheating if you use it in levels where it's not intended to be used.

Just now, sluggard said:

Yeah probably, It's ResetEra so it's possible lol

Nope, unless you decide to use a sourceport, but then you'd be cheating if you use it in levels where it's not intended to be used.

So why was it so in the first place?

I wish I could tell you but that's all I know Haha

If you can fall, why can't opposite happen?

it wasn't programmed into the game. I think that's really the simplest answer you can get. It might be the same reason why you can't look up or down. 

Hey, off topic, but in a bit, I'm going to make a new topic in Everything Else titled, The "Ask a Simple Question" Thread. There, people can ask questions about DOOM-clones and other topics sort of related to DOOM. 

Doom is 3D, no matter how hard people try to prove it 2D. But what prevents it from having a room over room?

37 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

Doom is 3D, no matter how hard people try to prove it 2D. But what prevents it from having a room over room?

the way the levels work, levels in doom are 2D or 2.5D and you can't put 2 rooms one above the other without glithy behaviour... and colison errors "you can do cool stuff if you know what you are doing... like deep water in vanilla", advanced sorce ports like gzdoom have tricks to make one room below/above the other... like plataforms "3dfloors" and teleports... "sorry for that english, i don't have auto-correct in my phone"

13 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

The best thing I could tell you is to learn about source ports themselves, they add features catering towards various types of players - jumping and crouching are just one of these.

Since countless level packs (like Scythe 2) were made before the existence of source ports (or jumping/crounching, in case you are confused), areas that feature extensive verticality for those features were not taken in mind, and thus you may sequence break if you choose to jump and/or crouch

For example, in MAP03 of Doom 2, you could basically skip the whole map by jumping to the medkit near start.

8 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Does anyone believe that there was a Saturn port of the PC Doom that ran at 60 FPS at fullscreen like it's claimed? Most PCs of that era probably couldn't run the game at the framerate even if it wasn't locked to 35.

No such hope to ever see that prototype, though. Jim Bagley lost the source code, as has been said sometime ago.

22 hours ago, Doomsdλy1993 said:

Are the Lost Souls like the souls of people who have been sent to hell? Or are they baby Pain Elementals.

lost souls are evil spirits, and pain elementals eat lost souls for lunch! ^.=.^

22 hours ago, Doomsdλy1993 said:

Are the Lost Souls like the souls of people who have been sent to hell? Or are they baby Pain Elementals.

I think they're wandering spirits that were eaten and tormented by the pain elementals, until they became, twisted into monster.

22 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

In the commandline (So a commandline prompt). This is assuming Chocolate Doom and not a launcher (You didn't specify one)

The actual launcher. I play all my PWADige by typing the name in the 'Add Wads' box, for example I type 'requiem.wad' for Requiem, or I can type 'reqmus.wad' and I'll get the default Doom II with Requiem's music. I just wanna have both at the same time (I'm a fool when it comes to stuff like this)

6 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

The actual launcher. I play all my PWADige by typing the name in the 'Add Wads' box, for example I type 'requiem.wad' for Requiem, or I can type 'reqmus.wad' and I'll get the default Doom II with Requiem's music. I just wanna have both at the same time (I'm a fool when it comes to stuff like this)

With that, you mean the Chocolate Doom launcher or a third party one?

9 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Does anyone believe that there was a Saturn port of the PC Doom that ran at 60 FPS at fullscreen like it's claimed? Most PCs of that era probably couldn't run the game at the framerate even if it wasn't locked to 35.

https://lostmediawiki.com/Doom_(lost_prototype_of_Sega_Saturn_port_of_first-person_shooter;_1996-1997)

It probably did but I have no verification of this!

Back then all “serious” gaming was done on consoles as their hardware was custom built to play games where as PC’s were still built mainly as word processors.

Not sure when when the switch happened (making PC’s outperform consoles for gaming - at a guess, probably around the original X-box era) but all that to say I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Saturn did actually run at 60 FPS :-P

Just now, Can't play on Nightmare said:

What does TAS mean?

Tool-assisted speedrun. This means you can slow down the game, or make yourself do things much slower. This is used to show what a "perfect" run could look like if one ever existed. These don't compete with human players.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, Redneckerz said:

you mean the Chocolate Doom launcher or a third party one?

I believe it's legit Chocolate Doom (version 2.0.0), I could be wrong - 

cd1.png.8b4e9e27fdc690e915502c5c3e8b8b2a.png

To play PWADs, I go into the Level Warp menu - 

cd2.png.cf3b21b4e6863a6b489f2ba93ed3486d.png

And in the Add Wads box, I type in the PWAD I want - 

cd3.png.0c314df7ff7d17e5637fcfb942512a47.png

I just wanna know if I'm able to play the Requiem PWAD and its' music WAD at the same time.  I'm not sure if this is the most popular version of Chocolate Doom, it's just the one I've been using for years (mainly for plowing through the Maximum Doom WADs).  If I'm on the wrong track, any suggestions would be really appreciated.  I'm just gettin' real sick of the O.G. Doom II score these days :-)

what the hell happened to the other 10 Cacowards? when clicking the first Cacoward on Doomworld (2004) it says the 11th annual. Well, where are the others! 

16 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

I'm not sure if this is the most popular version of Chocolate Doom, it's just the one I've been using for years (mainly for plowing through the Maximum Doom WADs). 

You're on the right track, but there are much more recent versions of Chocolate Doom.

15 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

what the hell happened to the other 10 Cacowards? when clicking the first Cacoward on Doomworld (2004) it says the 11th annual. Well, where are the others! 

The original idea was from 2003 celebrating 10 years of Doom, so they carried the idea over into 2004 with the "11th Annual" awards.

7 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Why aren't you using 3.0.0?

7 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

I just wanna know if I'm able to play the Requiem PWAD and its' music WAD at the same time.  I'm not sure if this is the most popular version of Chocolate Doom, it's just the one I've been using for years (mainly for plowing through the Maximum Doom WADs).  If I'm on the wrong track, any suggestions would be really appreciated.  I'm just gettin' real sick of the O.G. Doom II score these days :-)

Since you selected requiem.wad, if you add in a break and add reqmus.wad to it, so it says requiem.wad reqmus.wad, does that do anything?

7 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Look further than your nose. The first cacowards celebrated a decade of Doom.

Was about to start a new thread but figured I’d post it here in case it is an overwhelming yes / no answer :-P

Question is, is DooM 3: Resurrection of Evil worth playing?

I didn’t really like DooM 3 too much when it came out so never bought the DLC back then but do you all think I should give it a go now or is it a case of “if you didn’t like DooM 3 you won’t like RoE”?

41 minutes ago, DooM Bear said:

Yes, it leans more towards the action side, has some fun boss fights with some puzzle elements to them, and The Grabber and Hell Heart artifact are fun to mess around with. It's short, but the levels feel a bit more diverse and likely will retain interest for longer than base Doom 3.

6 hours ago, DooM Bear said:

Was about to start a new thread but figured I’d post it here in case it is an overwhelming yes / no answer :-P

I didn’t really like DooM 3 too much when it came out so never bought the DLC back then but do you all think I should give it a go now or is it a case of “if you didn’t like DooM 3 you won’t like RoE”?

I haven't played Doom 3 RoE but if i remember correctly, in GManLives's "Doom Game From Worst to Best." He put it at 2nd worst place. He says it's lack of light and some other stuffs. So i think it's actually bad after all

8 hours ago, DooM Bear said:

is DooM 3: Resurrection of Evil worth playing?

1 hour ago, Dranyan said:

GManLives's ..... So i think it's actually bad after all

I'd say it's at least worth a shot, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, plus he's not the only reviewer out there. Having played it myself I don't understand / can't relate to most of his criticism about it.

Edited by sluggard

2 hours ago, Dranyan said:

I haven't played Doom 3 RoE but if i remember correctly, in GManLives's "Doom Game From Worst to Best." He put it at 2nd worst place. He says it's lack of light and some other stuffs. So i think it's actually bad after all

GMan also said that Sigil was one of the worst WADs made, while I believe that it is. It's all based on opinion. if you like what Sluggard said, then you might like it.