Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which other Doom 1-on-1 maps should be canonized? There are the 10 or so eternal favourites of course which are still played all the time. And not without reason, these are of exceptional quality. But sometimes fear is creeping up on me that there are actually other maps out there which are just as awesome if not more awesome in the unfathomable deep sea of Doom dm maps. What do you think, is this fear legitimized? 

What maps are you considering eternal favourites? I’m sure I know which ones but Just asking so I can actually provide recommendations that aren’t all maps you already know!

here’s a good place to start a journey of hunting for good DM wads: https://doomshack.org/recommended.html

There are a lot of great duel maps I’d love to see canonised in the official releases, but most of the classics are off the table since the authors aren’t around anymore to give permissions. Sadly!

Map 19 - Demon Scape

m5ds.png.a52c46ebe3a7c4b38893465d8e294528.png

In mega5.wad should work well as a dual map, there are others in the mega of course.

There are probably only a select few that will work in vanilla Doom2 though, because of VPO limits.

mega5.zip

I’m talking about these ones: d5m1, ssl2, judas, king1, dweller2m11, map01, map07, moo2d, boo, pobla8, lazarus1j. Also the ones in the zddl4 pack. I can actually see why these are ‘canon’.  Since these are perfectly executed maps which actually add to eachother in which element of doomplay they emphasise. Superfast shotgun aiming, verticality, warpfest, lineair, hide and seek, tricks..

However I played the pyrrhic maps (not sure yet what’s my favourite one out of the pack) and I would nominate these as I can not find a reason why these should not stand in the same line of recognised ultimate 1-on-1 maps. I would say these are ‘recent’ maps which are the culmination of doom duel knowledge.

But I am curious to know if I might not be missing some, and what the opinion of others is.

Thanks for the suggestion and, haven’t seen Mega before and will check it out! Have seen your site Doomkid, great compilations, not done with it all yet!

Ah I see, and there are several others on the side of old school classics.

Since you have dweller2 in the list, there are a few more levels in it that work well for 1 on 1 DM's, dweller2 map05 is a fun one for example.

I suggest looking through dweller2 a bit.

Others that ring a bell:

Dwango6.wad map01

There's a few in Danzig2.wad

Toke had some nice 1 on 1 DM maps.

Exec.wad at least the first 4 maps

There's a few in Tntblood.wad

And a few in Darken2, the later levels have DM maps. ~ if I recall only a couple are suited for 1 on 1 though.

Oh! basically the beginning of CTF. The Mountain King levels in DethTag, levels 26 and 27 if I recall.

The above are all of course for Doom2.

The only DM wad I can think of atm for Ultimate Doom is Ledges.wad.

I'm not looking through archives btw, just going by what I remember.

If I think of some others I'll let ya know.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Cool, played through it. I think I like the dweller ones best of above, although it does make you feel you’re warping to an age bygone ;) I can really appreciate well designed stuff so cheers for the input!

Dwango12 Map12 is a killer map in duel, surprisingly well placed spawns and weapons. An under appreciated gem, probably mostly forgotten due to being in a late slot and so late in the Dwango lineage, which is mostly crappy anyway and takes a general nose dive in quality after 7.

These answers are a bit lamer since almost every dueler already knows them, but fuloser and oblivx are two of the most well designed duel arenas imo. Far less annoying to play than SSL2, for instance. (Ever since I heard Rustking call it “Shit Spawn Luck 2”, that’s all I can ever think of it as!)

Ok Guys, I have enough and my fear has quieted down. I have to confess that I am a somewhat obsessive perfectionist who was looking for the perfect duel map. There was that possibility that the perfect map somehow escaped me, by playing just the tried and trusted classics handed over from generation to generation of doom players. After the completeness check here, I now have sufficient comfort that I have all the notable duel maps on the radar. The perfect maps are... (drumroll) ..... judas23, d5m1, king1 and the pyrrhics. Thanks for your contribution to my peace of mind, now that is cleared up I can return to enjoy playing mp doom again!!

Oh and Dweller2m11 also pretty perfect, all in my personal expert judgement. Others mentioned in above posts hugely fun as well (still have to check out dwango 12).