Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lazer

Scripted Marines

I keep hearing about "scripted marines" but after trying to do a little research on them I have found nothing. How do I insert and use them into a level?

"Added a ScriptedMarine actor. It looks just like the player but wears indigo and acts like a monster (except its attacks don't actually do anything). Doomednum 9100, spawnable #151."

That's from one of Randy Heit's posts on zdoom forums. I just went to the forums and did a search on "scripted marines" and got lots of hits. Have you looked there? Check this search result:

http://notgod.com/phorum/search.php?f=12&search=scripted+marines&globalsearch=1&match=1&date=0&fldsubject=1&fldbody=1

In the thread titled "Scripted Helpers" on notgod

http://notgod.com/phorum/read.php?f=3&i=8439&t=8439

Edit: Ack! See, what I do, when I arrive at the DoomWorld fora is open all the threads I haven't read in a new window (plenty of memory, slow modem), then go away and get a drink or something. When I come back, all the threads are waiting for me, but people have nipped in and provided answers too. :-\

Lazer said:

I keep hearing about "scripted marines" but after trying to do a little research on them I have found nothing. How do I insert and use them into a level?

If you're using WA, they're in the Start thing category. (I don't know about other editors, but all ZDoom editors should have them in somewhere)

They're mainly used for cutscenes, as you can change the colour of them (using the translation feature). That's how LTSD's 'Black Knight' was created.

Make sure they're dormant of course, or they'll wander around like a monster - unless you send them along a certain path like in Space Station Omega.

Ok, now I have a room where a player goes down an elevator thing and stops looking through a glass widnow. I have a monster and a 9100 marine. I call the thing hate on them, but it only works if one of them see me first... So how do I make the monsters "activate" and start walking around without seeing me first? No, Thing_Activate doesn't work.

Ultimate DooMer said:

If you're using WA, they're in the Start thing category. (I don't know about other editors, but all ZDoom editors should have them in somewhere)

The original one may be there, but I'd be surprised if the newest ones, only added to Zdoom in the last week or so are. They are in the latest DeePsea, under the player start/teleport category. Or you could easily add them to an opt file your self. (Check the linked threads for details.)

These new marines can actually shoot, and there is one that simulates each doom player weapon type - what's more you can use scripting to change their weapon and an enhanced thing_hate function allows you to send them after monsters, perform specific tasks, have them fight alongside you, etc etc