Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

@kwc That's neat! Are you using the model as a normal/heightmap to overlay onto a "base" texture, or are you exporting the model as-is and then colorizing it?

Some fun, weird-looking textures I made real quick while messing around this morning. Unlike my recent stuff these are actually tilable and ready to drop in-game. Enjoy!

untitled.png

untitled.png

Edited by Gifty

19 minutes ago, Gifty said:

@kwc That's neat! Are you using the model as a normal/heightmap to overlay onto a "base" texture, or are you exporting the model as-is and then colorizing it?

This was an initial test, so I would frame and light the existing model, pose the camera and render the image at a high resolution. 
I made sure to crop it to a power of 2 and then I took it into Pixatool and did things like: index it to the doom pallet, colour/lighting/sharpness and general destructive effects, and crushed it down to 256x256. From there I dropped it into Aesprite to pixel-push the edges in order to get it to x tile.
Workflow was all over the place with this one, but the result had me very excited.

I've thought about overlaying normals/heightmaps before, I have a whole variety of them sitting in my folder ready to be used, but haven't quite committed to it yet, although I have a pretty good idea of how to do it. What do you use, do you have any pointers about that method?

Also, bonus:

Spoiler

Some cool news, I reached out to New Blood and asked if they were alright with folks ripping their games in order to reuse/remix texture assets for (noncommercial) mods. Got this response:

image0.png.19883bd16408d59e804e4c66d82c273d.png

:)

10 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I decided to do what TNT did and mark my crates with letters HF to represent them being belonging to Hell Frontier project. But I can't make them look decent, no matter what variation I try to use. What's the secret?

CRATE3.png

I think it's worth looking up some typeface design principles even if you're just doing little pixel letters. The only thing sticking out to me is the midbar of the F is thicker than in the H and it tapers weirdly at the end

On 7/16/2020 at 1:53 AM, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Took your base and added the standard grout from BIGBRIK2. No smoothing or shading, just wanted to see how it looked.

Took your edit and edited it further. I used the good old nearest-neighbors trick to add lighting smoothly. I also sprinkled some slight highlights, one in bland white (for colored sectors), another in blue, and a few more with other such colours. I even have a variant with strong yellow for big  daddy Ribbiks~

image.png.cdd96752b0db8854437e79a1e286c1b2.pngimage.png.81bd9ac709f36fdb7a2afa292e9f9a37.pngimage.png.5b1c47d92194f8f4cbb802a92cf9ca8e.pngimage.png.984f2411b284bc029fc0a17800a5644b.png

image.png.688844255ea1b8d6935fa75ec136e69f.pngimage.png.5346e37aed631ba30bf1c0fd5ba44a0f.pngimage.png.399b1889182e0257107bf7971d20bce3.pngimage.png.a15d0ac5021a3462d3e301c7ac89c097.png

...*coff*...a-anyway.

To change the highlight colour is simple and easy if you already have GIMP installed. Grab this file, extract it, and open it in GIMP, then use the bucket fill tool to change the colour of the entire "Colour" layer (within the "Highlights" layer group). Then, merge all layers (Ctrl+M), downscale to 256x256 setting the interpolation to Cubic¹, and set it to be the Doom palette² using Image -> Mode -> Indexed. From there you can export to PNG, or select all (Ctrl+A), copy (Ctrl+C), and then in Doomworld or Imgur etc, paste as an image buffer (Ctrl+V).

¹ Downscale interpolation never blurs, and it'll smooth many potentially distracting straggler pixels that way too

² More info on the Doom palette in GIMP here.

The issue with Doom's regular grout is that it is too grid-like, real grout tends to be irregular and thick, because it is what joins the bricks together; it's not very easy to explain, but hopefully it'll be easier with this--

[ Brick Wall: Behind the Scenes!! ]

image.png.f7819ab5f03e3df8423a291d9072baf0.png

Edited by Gustavo6046 : Oh, oops! I forgot to post the GIMP file. Here you go!

49 minutes ago, TheHambourgeois said:

I think it's worth looking up some typeface design principles even if you're just doing little pixel letters. The only thing sticking out to me is the midbar of the F is thicker than in the H and it tapers weirdly at the end

I was trying to make it triangular (Sort of like Doom logo itself, but the middle is lower) but there wasn't enough space to make it work.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I was trying to make it triangular (Sort of like Doom logo itself, but the middle is lower) but there wasn't enough space to make it work.

If you look at the other text/graphics on the crate, there is some pretty heavy anti-aliasing going on: 

Spoiler

example.png.cc59127a4e7e7b5e4510240ccb512a36.png

If you follow that principle with your own text graphic, you may be able to get more out of the limited real estate that you have to work with.

I threw together an imperfect example, which you are free to use/mess with if you would like. 
687720824_example2.png.5c638f67bfc10c620bef3372eb5f0bce.png

3 hours ago, kwc said:

This was an initial test, so I would frame and light the existing model, pose the camera and render the image at a high resolution. 
I made sure to crop it to a power of 2 and then I took it into Pixatool and did things like: index it to the doom pallet, colour/lighting/sharpness and general destructive effects, and crushed it down to 256x256. From there I dropped it into Aesprite to pixel-push the edges in order to get it to x tile.
Workflow was all over the place with this one, but the result had me very excited.

I've thought about overlaying normals/heightmaps before, I have a whole variety of them sitting in my folder ready to be used, but haven't quite committed to it yet, although I have a pretty good idea of how to do it. What do you use, do you have any pointers about that method?

Nice! This workflow excites me, too. It's more complicated than your average texture creation pipeline, but the possibilities are limitless. I'm still kind of experimenting myself, but the method I'm settling on is using Blender not to output the texture itself but to create heightmaps and lighting passes which I can throw onto any base texture I want.

With some help from a friend I've set up a scene where I can create a 3D brick pattern, and use the shader editor to create different lighting styles which will bake and export as "ambient occlusion", "depth", and "highlights" (there's lots of different baking options out there, those are just the barebones ones I'm using right now). When I throw these all into GIMP, I blend these lighting passes on just a plain base texture; usually "linear burn" for AO+depth and "additive" for highlights (antialiasing or noise reduction can smooth out the jagged edges of the lighting maps). For extra craggliness or grunginess, I often use the Emboss tool in Gimp to create sort of a fake cavity/height map on top of the final image. If you have any preexisting heightmaps or alpha maps sitting around, obviously this works for them too, but I like making my own.

Screengrab from my Blender setup: (top left panel is the wall mesh + a black square which defines the "capture" area to get baked -- top right is a preview of the bake -- bottom is the shader editor, where you define the different lighting properties to bake out)

Spoiler

Untitled.jpg.2713bfc376582de85d74ae6cc14d3236.jpg

This gif shows it in a little more detail:

lightbake.gif

Something really awesome in Blender is there's an addon called "wall builder" which generates wall patterns and gothic arches like this procedurally, so you don't even have to model the wall yourself if you don't want to--you can just make window/door patterns on the fly and start baking them out right away. Getting the bake set up just right is kind of a fiddly process, but once it's all properly dialed in, you can save it and keep it that way so you don't have to set it up again. Most of this is courtesy of my friend who baby-stepped me through all this stuff, so hats off to him for showing me this method. Sorry to hijack the thread, this stuff is fuckin fascinating to me.

Edited by Gifty

Some black wall textures I made. The black wall itself is from a real life photo I took a while back. NOTE: The color of the black isn't the best in the Doom palette but its not that bad either.

SEPRCOMP.png

SEPRON1.png

SW1SEPR.png

SW2SEPR.png

15 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I decided to do what TNT did and mark my crates with letters HF to represent them being belonging to Hell Frontier project. But I can't make them look decent, no matter what variation I try to use. What's the secret?

2 hours ago, kwc said:

If you look at the other text/graphics on the crate, there is some pretty heavy anti-aliasing going on:...

lol i also threw together an example, hth

HF_BCRATE.png.baf1804f718a55b98e369dd69aa125b6.png

e: what the hell, the antialias was the same color for both so heres the gray one too, feel free to use them i dont really give a shit about attribution or whatever

HF_GCRATE.png.b7d051cbfc33e461d3dab4e560c32836.png

On 7/19/2020 at 7:30 PM, Faceman2000 said:

Made some traditional Doom style recreations of Doom 64 textures. I hope to do more in the future but here's these for the time being. Feel free to use, just credit me.

64Walls.png

And here's the originals for comparison's sake:

64WallsOriginals.png

OMG nice work those looks really really nice. hope someday someone do the otherway around i mean Doom texture in Doom64 Style

wow those are good ones i hope someday they continue with those texture sets. will be useful if bethesda patch remaster for custom textures ;) thanks guys

@Nootrac4571 Daaaaamn! Those look great. You can tell textures are good when they immediately make you want to boot up Doombuilder and throw them in a map.

The red brick ones make me think "fire station in Hell." Which I mean I guess you'd want that, on account of all the fire everywhere.

Had a dumb idea for spooky texture. This Has an issue with tiling, it does tile but it has a mirrored spot on edges because I'm bad at image editing.

SCREAMR.png

@Nootrac4571 Those are the absolute bomb, I will almost certainly find a use for these. The second BRICK12 edit is missing its pipe, though! (@DooMAD's edits miss it out too, as it happens.)

31 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

@Nootrac4571 Those are the absolute bomb, I will almost certainly find a use for these. The second BRICK12 edit is missing its pipe, though! (@DooMAD's edits miss it out too, as it happens.)

So it is! I've fixed and updated the original post now. Good spot!

On 8/1/2020 at 9:29 PM, Gifty said:

Some fun, weird-looking textures I made real quick while messing around this morning. Unlike my recent stuff these are actually tilable and ready to drop in-game. Enjoy!

untitled.png

untitled.png

Do they actually tile vertically? I've been distraught by lack of rocks sutable for tall walls in vanilla set as of recent.

That's easy enough to check:

untitled.pnguntitled.png

untitled.pnguntitled.png

untitled.pnguntitled.png

untitled.pnguntitled.png

Tiles just fine, mostly. The second texture's vertical tiling isn't perfect, though.

16 minutes ago, Gez said:

Tiles just fine, mostly. The second texture's vertical tiling isn't perfect, though.

More like non-existent. But that's OK, I don't think those curves would look good tiled vertically anyway. A single-row would look great.

Lol i've been wanting to make almost those exact same textures with the bigger brick border for a while now. set looks great.

anyway heres a bunch of 128x128 skinmetal:

skmet1.png.a402763fd344ff87ee59f55161bff30c.pngskmet2.png.1374439c4f85be3409168cdd4fd6b8ac.pngskmet3.png.a7148dd9b60de77778593af23e0d8b0c.pngskmet4.png.2bb3eb6c5efd98ab3f1601e1c0ee17ef.pngskmet8.png.42825e9b3752a1a11d9f88284afe52a5.png

I was a little quick and dirty with it, ill see if i can't make the red ones not so smooth in the middle

e:

heres a rougher red variant skmet5.png.a6db201a78477cdf9cab8f3528cfaa7e.pngskmet6.png.503fe07d1869f1a8773cf415a91d1857.pngskmet7.png.e411973fb11f28d7fd36c576f2f3cfdc.png

e the second:
what the hell starting a skinmet warehouse over here got rid of the first set, both of these are much better. these should keep the highlights of the cutting and not wash out the middle as much
skmet5alt.png.0a09aac0004808c9c6f4a99a6dfc2092.pngskmet6alt.png.0a61676c5dada74f83b3aed86084b5e0.pngskmet7alt.png.1e29609a087d1eaa38552c7238798fb8.png

Edited by TheHambourgeois

55 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

More like non-existent. But that's OK, I don't think those curves would look good tiled vertically anyway. A single-row would look great.

Yeah, I should have specified: both tile horizontally, only first one tiles vert.

1 minute ago, nue said:

I needed these. Am I good to use these?

I'd say credit Nootrac4571, as I barely did anything, heh.