Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

The "Ask a Simple DOOM Question" Thread

20 hours ago, sluggard said:

I'd say it's at least worth a shot, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, plus he's not the only reviewer out there. Having played it myself I don't understand / can't relate to most of his criticism about it.

Gman put Doom 3 above Doom II in his rankings. His opinion is worth pretty much nothing to me between that and the Sigil fiasco, not to mention his hatred for Plutonia.

15 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Gman put Doom 3 above Doom II in his rankings. His opinion is worth pretty much nothing to me between that and the Sigil fiasco, not to mention his hatred for Plutonia.

Hehehehe agree :-P

I still watch his videos as they are interesting and informative but I always take his ratings with a grain of salt :-P

Is there any simple way to search for maps designed specifically with jumping in mind? Any particular search terms? I normally prefer the vanilla experience, but having maps ready for more acrobatic gameplay mods might make for a nice change of pace.

Edited by Trueblade

On 8/3/2020 at 8:18 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

GMan also said that Sigil was one of the worst WADs made, while I believe that it is. It's all based on opinion. if you like what Sluggard said, then you might like it.

What Gman did with the SIGIL review is measure it against most current-day WADS out there, and it has to be said: SIGIL will fall a little flat compared to that. Unlike many, GMan does not buy into the Romero Nostalgia to conclude that SIGIL as a level set is good.

Which is a stylistic choice of opinion, really. SIGIL is Romero's style and perhaps a direct comparison against the Community's best is thus not in order. Does that make it the worst WAD ever? I do not remember GMan actually saying that.

It does, however, make SIGIL a levelset that will not best the community's top offerings but i feel it should be considered solid level design. Romero's earlier WAD's proved that, at the very least.

On 8/4/2020 at 3:17 PM, Faceman2000 said:

That sounds a bit like hyperbole to me. ''This reviewer put what i and many consider the worser version of Doom above a classic, therefore his opinion is bunk.''. That's why its an opinion in the first place. You don't have to agree with it. In fact, i like that GMan takes a different direction with many of his reviews, and elaborates on it decently enough.

To call that opinion worthless simply because its contrary to what you (And many others considering its Doom 3) think is a bit iffy in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Trueblade said:

Is there any simple way to search for maps designed specifically with jumping in mind? Any particular search terms? I normally prefer the vanilla experience, but having maps ready for more acrobatic gameplay mods might make for a nice change of pace.

I highly recommend rjumpin2.wad, which is a mapset designed specifically with rocket jumping in mind.

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Wall of text

I didn’t say his opinion was worthless, just that it wasn’t worth much to me - not because it’s different than mine, but because what he’s looking for in his Doom content varies so fundamentally from what I’m looking for that there’s very little benefit in me watching his stuff. I still do from time to time, but I take it with a grain of salt large enough crush a small cat.

As far as “Romero nostalgia” goes, I only really got into the game in 2018 so there wasn’t a ton of nostalgia for me when Sigil came out a year later. Rather, it emphasized aspects of Doom that I love and that most modern level sets I’ve played miss (in my humble opinion, of course.) I do think it’s unlikely he was comparing Sigil against current megawads, though, due to the extreme influence of Plutonia in everything and his hatred for it.

4 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

I didn’t say his opinion was worthless, just that it wasn’t worth much to me

''Worth pretty much nothing'' - I dunno, but that does say Worthless pretty heavily in a general sense.

Besides, the response to you was hardly a wall of text, was it now?

Having said that, GMan covers a crapton of FPS, so i don't think his Doom stuff is that omni-present. If anything, i am quite surprised its a turndown for you when the GMan looks for Doom interests opposite to you. That to me actually interests me than the other way around.

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

More text

Just trying to keep from spamming the thread with overly long quotes haha. Pet peeve of mine when people leave the entire quote if it consists of multiple paragraphs.

”Worth pretty much nothing” means that something is worth very little. “Worth nothing” means worthless. I chose my words intentionally to convey exactly what I meant. Perhaps I should’ve been clearer. Furthermore, just because it is of little worth to me doesn’t mean it’s worthless - many others love his reviews and so they clearly have worth to others.

I look to reviews to find out A) what I can expect from a something, and B) whether or not I will find it enjoyable. Gman’s reviews barely satisfy the first point, because he highlights different things than I would and his concept of “too dark,” “too hard,” and “too grindy” are clearly wildly different from mine, as he says Sigil was all three (I felt it was none of those), whereas Doom, which he loves, is too dark and too grindy in my opinion. So we’re clearly coming from a different headspace. As for whether or not I’ll find something fun, he doesn’t give me a good indication of that at all. Some things he loves, I love, and some things he hates I love, and some things I love he hates. There’s no consistency there. He gives me very, very little of what I look for in a review.

Civvie, on the other hand, enjoys much the same things about Doom that I do, and while we differ in opinions from time to time, they line up enough that his reviews let me know more or less what to expect and how likely I am to enjoy something.

Again, doesn’t apply to everyone. Just me. And honestly I don’t get why this is such a big deal to you. 😂

What I don't like about GMan's Sigil review is that he obviously got his shit kicked in, was still salty about it while he was making the review, and tried to blame bad mapping for his struggles (watching the gameplay footage in his review reveals the real reason.)

The most bizarre thing is the wads he recommends as an alternative, specifically Alien Vendetta and especially Hell Revealed. To be clear, I do like Alien Vendetta and a few maps from Hell Revealed, but if your main complaints about Sigil are regarding difficulty and grindy gameplay, you're not gonna have a good time with Hell Revealed on UV. Maybe he played those wads years ago and was a better player back then, I dunno, but I definitely don't believe he has played them recently.

how could people make IWADs and PWADs before DOOM's source code was released. I know literally nothing about what it all means, but I still wonder how it was possible.

7 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

how could people make IWADs and PWADs before DOOM's source code was released. I know literally nothing about what it all means, but I still wonder how it was possible.

Because editors of various kinds existed long before the source code was released.

My very first editor was Renegade Graphics Doom Editor (1995) along with NewWadTool.

6 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Just trying to keep from spamming the thread with overly long quotes haha. Pet peeve of mine when people leave the entire quote if it consists of multiple paragraphs.

”Worth pretty much nothing” means that something is worth very little. “Worth nothing” means worthless. I chose my words intentionally to convey exactly what I meant. Perhaps I should’ve been clearer.

In my experience how people convey words usually has a double meaning or an implication rather than a exact definition.

I look to reviews to find out A) what I can expect from a something, and B) whether or not I will find it enjoyable. Gman’s reviews barely satisfy the first point, because he highlights different things than I would and his concept of “too dark,” “too hard,” and “too grindy” are clearly wildly different from mine, as he says Sigil was all three (I felt it was none of those), whereas Doom, which he loves, is too dark and too grindy in my opinion.

Highlighting the first part, that's exactly why i would enjoy his content. He points out things that you would not come up with or things that aren't your cup of tea. But that's just a matter of taste, i realize.

Again, doesn’t apply to everyone. Just me. And honestly I don’t get why this is such a big deal to you. 😂

But then you write a wall of text yourself to explain your point, haha. But i think its carried enough now. Thanks for elaborating. :)

A few questions about the DOOM Comic 

Is the comic canonical, because it could have still happened despite not being seen in the games. 

Are there any WADs based off of the DOOM Comics location? seems like an interesting place to make in a WAD, considering its Slaughtermap amount of demons in a single panel. 

Was there ever plan for a sequel comic, because if you look in the bottom corner of the first page, it says vol. 1 No. 1, so were the authors thinking it would be a big success and it bombed, or was it just supposed to be a one-shot?

does anybody know how I can get a copy of it? when I search up DOOM comic, it comes up as Doctor Doom, when I specify game, it comes up as doctor Doom, when I write every other keyword, it comes up as you guessed it... Doctor Doom! I just want to see if I can get my hands on one, and it never appears. 

If you can buy it, is it expensive? I don't want to spend 200 bucks on a comic I can find online, but I'd be fine for like $20-$50 or possibly more, depending on its condition. 

@LiT_gam3r There are two prints of the comic. Both are pretty expensive to buy these days. It's an interesting piece of memorabilia but unless you're a collector it's not usually worth the hassle trying to get an actual physical copy of it. The comic itself is available on this site.

https://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/ 

Doom Wiki: 

There are two known printings of the comic. The first is the original giveaway printing, and the second is a set that was produced for the id Anthology collection. When compared to the better-known id Anthology version, the giveaway printing features the following differences:

The original edition is printed on whiter paper than the id Anthology copy, which gives it more contrast.

The original edition's front cover looks somewhat paler.

On the original edition, the issue number on the front cover is italicized, while the warning text at the top is not. These are opposite on the reprint, with a normal issue number and italicized warning text.

The advertisements are different. In the original edition, there are ads for Hexen for Sony PlayStation on the inside front cover, PlayStation Plus on the inside back cover, and Final Doom for PlayStation on the back cover. The id Anthology reprint has ads for Final Doom for PC, Hexen for PC, and various Windows 95 versions of id Software games in the same respective locations.

Mike Wilson states that there were 50,000 copies of the original E3 version produced, and 100,000 copies of the id Anthology version.[2]

On 8/6/2020 at 5:46 AM, Pseudonaut said:

What I don't like about GMan's Sigil review is that he obviously got his shit kicked in, was still salty about it while he was making the review, and tried to blame bad mapping for his struggles (watching the gameplay footage in his review reveals the real reason.)

The most bizarre thing is the wads he recommends as an alternative, specifically Alien Vendetta and especially Hell Revealed. To be clear, I do like Alien Vendetta and a few maps from Hell Revealed, but if your main complaints about Sigil are regarding difficulty and grindy gameplay, you're not gonna have a good time with Hell Revealed on UV. Maybe he played those wads years ago and was a better player back then, I dunno, but I definitely don't believe he has played them recently.

Not to mention he also rubbed people the wrong way already with stuff like his Blood FS review, where he spent more time talking about the game and not the port itself, and barely mentioned any of the multitude of issues it had at launch, which Civvie did, in comparison.

To me, it looks like GMan is missing the point quite a bit - so does Civvie sometimes though, as seen in his Doom 3 video -, and tends to have much stronger bias in his reviews than others. His Sigil review was essentially disgraceful IMO, not because I don't agree with him - as a matter of fact, no I don't, but that's entirely besides the point I'm trying to make here -, but because of his personal bias. Watching his footage clearly revealed he was salty about something else regarding Sigil, and that was the fact that he didn't know how to beat its maps efficiently and was "brutally deceased" (that's a reference to a song) as a result.

And personally, I'm sorry if I come off as an insufferable elitistic douchebag for saying this, but I absolutely cannot stand hearing people bitch about something mainly because they suck at it. Criticizing something because you suck at it is simply pathetic and beyond childish, and not just video games, that's the least of my "concern". It's like saying "bicycles suck" because you keep falling off/crashing or just can't ride the damn thing adequately, or "building stuff sucks" because you keep hitting your fingers with the hammer.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, Faceman2000 said:

That's fine, you don't have to watch him or agree with him, I was just stating the obvious.

Edited by sluggard

Why does the end of the MIDI from MM2 MAP 04 abruptly change tone to a weird and completely different direction?

On 8/3/2020 at 5:49 AM, DooM Bear said:

Question is, is DooM 3: Resurrection of Evil worth playing?

Personally I liked it better than the main game, I like doom 3 but it can really be a slog at times, RoE has better pacing, interesting new monsters and some fun weapons.

I would say that is at least worth trying.

does anybody know how to download the American version of DOOM 2D, because I have no idea how to find it. All the links on the Wiki are dead ones. 

simple question here but very important to me:

how can i make a monster "bigger"? I would like to create a huge cacodemon of some sorts, how to that? do i simply change some numbers or do i need to create the sprites? Thanks!

17 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:

simple question here but very important to me:

how can i make a monster "bigger"? I would like to create a huge cacodemon of some sorts, how to that? do i simply change some numbers or do i need to create the sprites? Thanks!

Depends on what source port you’re working with. If you’ve got GZDoom or another ZDoom variant, you can create a decorate file, make a monster based off the caco, and then use the scale feature to make it as large as you want. That’d be the simplest method I am aware of.

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

Depends on what source port you’re working with. If you’ve got GZDoom or another ZDoom variant, you can create a decorate file, make a monster based off the caco, and then use the scale feature to make it as large as you want. That’d be the simplest method I am aware of.

hey thanks!

yes i m workng on gz, what is the scale feature? do i have to write something like "scale x" on the decorate?

On 8/3/2020 at 11:18 PM, Dranyan said:

I haven't played Doom 3 RoE but if i remember correctly, in GManLives's "Doom Game From Worst to Best." He put it at 2nd worst place. He says it's lack of light and some other stuffs. So i think it's actually bad after all

GMan's review is purely his opinion.

RoE is just fine, even if you're playing vanilla or BFG.

On 8/9/2020 at 11:31 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

does anybody know how to download the American version of DOOM 2D, because I have no idea how to find it. All the links on the Wiki are dead ones. 

This seems to work fine, it gives you the option to play in English: Link

Why does the shotgun sound more beefy on zdoom 2.3.1??  I deleted somany files and downloaded that my computer is running slow, but I'm glad i found my port of choice.

ZDOOM 2.3.1 FMOD 0.4.22.6 Sound Fx On 10 Linear, Default sample rate.  I guess it's the FMOD version. 

4 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Why can DOOM not have rooms on top of another room? 

3 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

(doomwiki article)

To put it simply, the automap would be really clunky to function back in the 90s (or Carmack would have to spend more time coding true 3d features).

The coder team only implement features that other mappers required during the development of both games (resulting in many unused linedef actions and many mapping improvements by the community that made some wonder why didn't id thought of these back then).

Spoiler

Sometimes I wish you would just jump to PC or at least use Android apps like Delta Touch and see the backend of Doom for yourself.

You can kinda have, though, with the use of portals, to fake it more or less successfully.

This is similar to how Build achieves that effect as well, which didn't originally support TROR.