Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just realized that in my SID demo I had 2-rocket arachnotron kill... three times in a row!! And there is no splash damage involved, they are far away from each other.

-trace_thingshealth 140 141 143 -trace_givendamage 0 -skipsec 150

is it possible to kill with 3SSG an archvile? if im right I got it, but its like after 28min of run... too lazy to check and forgot how to skip to a certain frame... can someone remember me?

Btw, it is 14 frames faster to shoot the 2nd bullet out of the chaingun then switch to ssg and shoot twice instead of shooting 3 times with the ssg, for example:
prefire with the chaingun, only 2nd bullet has the time to barely hit an arachnotron for 15 damage, *switch to ssg* then 245 and 245 dmg = 505 damage = arachnotron dead.

The calculation was made so that the 2nd bullet comes out of the chaingun the same frame as the first ssg shot.

And of course each chaingun bullet costs 4 frames time, so you could potentially do it like this:

Chaingun for: 10+10+10+10 = 40 damage, switch to ssg for 230+230 = 500 dmg and it's still 2 frames faster than just using the ssg :-D

Could be useful in a TAS or maybe in very rare cases for non-tas.

@Looper I can tell you from my tiny UV-Max TAS experience that getting 230 damage from a single SSG shot is already a big luck, let alone 2 quick shots. I'll never use that tactic because I'm pretty sure my manual brute-forcing wouldn't give me anything. 3 SSG shots is still more practical

6 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

@Looper I can tell you from my tiny UV-Max TAS experience that getting 230 damage from a single SSG shot is already a big luck, let alone 2 quick shots.

Depends on what one sees as big luck. I don't personally think so.

10 hours ago, blob1024 said:

is it possible to kill with 3SSG an archvile? if im right I got it, but its like after 28min of run... too lazy to check and forgot how to skip to a certain frame... can someone remember me?

i'm not sure if it happened. because I totally (?) miss one shot and then it dies in 3 SSG. or at least it seems so.

around minute 25:10~

ps:delete in case its not the rare kills hoped :) run is a playthrough, I've already improved largely the time in the map.

akeldama map30

ak30-av2510.zip

1 hour ago, blob1024 said:

i'm not sure if it happened. because I totally (?) miss one shot and then it dies in 3 SSG. or at least it seems so.

around minute 25:10~

ps:delete in case its not the rare kills hoped :) run is a playthrough, I've already improved largely the time in the map.

akeldama map30

ak30-av2510.zip

I've watched the relevant part of the demo with -trace_thingshealth 579 and it checks out, first shot all the pellets miss and then the following shots deal 220/245/240 damage.

basically the SSG itself went nuts for the shit aim I had first time and fixed the math. AV = 4 blast FFS!

hello! dear experts, is 3 rocket-kill unusual for an arch vile or rather common? (alas, was I always unlucky in my dooming so far)

ps: can't this thread be sticked?

@blob1024, pretty usual. Sometimes 1, 2 or even 3 rockets in a row deal low direct damage (20, 40 or 60) which results in such unlucky kills. 

While running Plutonia map 25 I encountered this really sturdy baron, who took 7 rockets to the face and still survived (SSG to finish him off)

Interestingly, one of the rockets, the third one, only dealt 20 damage, which I assume means it was a minimum roll with no splash damage dealt. Not the first time something like this is mentioned in this thread but I believe this was very rare.

Happens about 30 seconds into the demo

pl25-sponge.zip

2 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

@blob1024, pretty usual. Sometimes 1, 2 or even 3 rockets in a row deal low direct damage (20, 40 or 60) which results in such unlucky kills. 

thanks a lot!

7 hours ago, NightTerror said:

While running Plutonia map 25 I encountered this really sturdy baron, who took 7 rockets to the face and still survived (SSG to finish him off)

Interestingly, one of the rockets, the third one, only dealt 20 damage, which I assume means it was a minimum roll with no splash damage dealt. Not the first time something like this is mentioned in this thread but I believe this was very rare.

Happens about 30 seconds into the demo

pl25-sponge.zip

Interesting, I thought a direct hit was always supposed to deal the full blast damage. Any idea why it doesn't on the third rocket? The only thing that seems suspicious to me is that the baron's right on the edge of the stairs when the rocket hits, but I'm not sure if that would affect the line of sight check.

12 hours ago, blob1024 said:

ps: can't this thread be sticked?

Haha no, I think there was an agreement recently that we have too many sticky threads... However, there is no 100% agreement about what to remove /unsticky, so there's a status quo

2 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Interesting, I thought a direct hit was always supposed to deal the full blast damage. Any idea why it doesn't on the third rocket? The only thing that seems suspicious to me is that the baron's right on the edge of the stairs when the rocket hits, but I'm not sure if that would affect the line of sight check.

It's related to the blockmap afaik. It's possible to one rocket revs too for similar reasons.

https://clips.twitch.tv/TiredTriumphantCatRiPepperonis

The blast damage is applied twice due to geometrical anomaly with blockmap. Or something. I actually got it to happen in current sl04 max.

sadly it wasn't recorded, but in my practice runs in cydonia I had 3 chaingunners killed with a single SSG shoot, I didnt think it was possible.

is it a rare killing?

3 chaingunners: 70 Hit points * 3 = 210 ponits

One shot's damage of SSG is around 200, so it is not impossible. 

It is certainly rare becasue you must almost all pellets in a shot to them without coming off. 

I already saw a spider mastermind scratched to death by an imp that cornered it (maybe it was in a 10 sectors map, I remember the level but not the WAD).

4 hours ago, blob1024 said:

sadly it wasn't recorded, but in my practice runs in cydonia I had 3 chaingunners killed with a single SSG shoot, I didnt think it was possible.

is it a rare killing?

There are examples in this very thread... 

Forgot this thread existed, here's one I was saving. Cacodemon dies to 1 Cyberdemon rocket in Speed of Doom. I knew why it happened when I recorded it but still think it's cool, this hasn't happened to me before or since then

sd28p1rocketcaco.zip

On 2/26/2022 at 5:05 PM, Billa said:

Cacodemon dies to 1 Cyberdemon rocket in Speed of Doom.

This is, remarkably, a triple splash damage, along with two other double splashes, from a single rocket.

Thing 880 is hit directly by the rocket for a relatively meagre, below-average, 60 damage. Then the fun starts as the rocket explodes. First, thing 1076 takes 16 points. Then 882 takes 70, and 880, the original target, closest to the explosion, takes 119. Then 884 takes 47 damage, and 880 takes a second dose of splash damage, another 119, same as the first (I am quite certain that repeated splashes are always equal). Then 883 takes 47 damage, 884 takes a second dose of 47, and 880 takes a remarkable third dose, another 119. Finally, 881 takes 70 splash damage, 879 takes 111, 878 takes 57, and 879 becomes the third to take multiple doses, a second of 111. Summarising this in a table:

thing  rckt  splsh  mult  total
  880    60    119     3    417
  879     0    111     2    222
  884     0     47     2     94
  881     0     70     1     70
  882     0     70     1     70
  878     0     57     1     57
  883     0     47     1     47
 1076     0     16     1     16

So a single rocket did nearly a thousand points of damage in total. That is BFG-tier.

(BTW I suspect the fact that all the monsters involved were cacodemons is significant. Cacodemons do not do the "two-step dance": when asleep they are always in the first (and only) of their looking-for-an-enemy states. This means they are always eligible to be woken up in P_DamageMobj, and thus act as a catalyst for repeated splash damages, instead of only half the time like most other monsters.)

Anyway as you can probably tell, I love these. I depressed myself by proving the 300 damage super shotgun revenant one-shot was impossible with Boom's RNG. So the existence of a bug that enables it with rockets -- which otherwise could not exceed 288 damage -- is my solace. And now you have proved a rocket one-shot is also achievable with cacodemons! Now I wonder if one could one-shot an archvile or a baron by stuffing a large enough number of other sleeping monsters into the blockmap square around it.

So please keep them coming. I think this one is the fourth now? IIRC all the previous instances of limit-breaking rocket one-shots were only of a single monster getting a double dose.

We seem to be averaging one per page :).

20 minutes ago, RjY said:

I am not sure if it's in this thread, but there's also perdgate map 15 from me in some movie run or attempt. :p And IIRC Ancalagon had some insane blast damage on a Cybercontrol map? But I forget which one.

On 2/28/2022 at 12:29 PM, 4shockblast said:

And IIRC Ancalagon had some insane blast damage on a Cybercontrol map? But I forget which one.

It's cybercontrol map32, best part is this one happens 100% of the time.