Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MLGari

Mario 64 levels and textures have a Descent feeling to them

Ok, this may be me but Mario 64 levels have a weird Descent feel to them at least to me (and visually...kind of).

Like if you were able to convert the levels to the Descent level format and tweaked some of them plus give most of the levels ceilings instead of skyboxes they wouldn't be that bad.

That also might have to do with the N64's 4 WHOLE KILOBYTES of texture ram and Descent textures being the same quality except without being filtered plus the size

of the textures being the same size 32x32

Mario 64 textures seen here (bad example something like the ghost house would be better)

Mario-64-PC-1024x508.jpg 

Descent textures without filtering

maxresdefault.jpg

Descent textures with filtering

d1xr-scrn22.jpg

Edited by MLGari

48 minutes ago, MLGari said:

Ok, this may be me but

It's definitely you.

N64 applies filtering to its textures through its RDP/RSP. Because the texture cache is so limited (The aforementioned 4 KB), textures will look incredibly washed out.

Descent, being an older game, appears to apply mipmapping. Its a software rendered title (Back in the day atleast) so it runs on VGA cards.

Mario 64 does have a very “lonely and dreary” feeling at moments, but I think that’s about the extent of it, for me anyway.

Wow, that game is a mind fuck. It’s like Descent, Heretic, Mario 64 and 8 different games got put into a blender, although this is older than the 64!

26 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Wow, that game is a mind fuck. It’s like Descent, Heretic, Mario 64 and 8 different games got put into a blender, although this is older than the 64!

The controls also remind me of Quarantine (1994).

37 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

The eight other games could be Witchhaven, Doom, Ken's Labyrinth, Quarantine mentioned above, Hexen, H.U.R.L, Carmageddon, and the Build engine demos.

You guys must be joking. Aside from being 3D and having random medieval textures, Hover is unlike any of those games except maybe Quarantine.

I also don't see the similarity between Mario 64 and Descent, again, other than both being 3D and maybe having some very low detail environments. But that's like saying two games are similar because they both run on computers. So what?

Descent's wall textures are 64x64, not 32x32. Also that port you're using has a GL renderer that is very different from the way the game originally looked.