Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danidf96

Do you ever take breaks from Doom?

I mean i know this is a doom related forum but i am curious if any of you guys ever get burntout. In my case i usually take 2 months of break until i get the urge to play some doom again.

Maybe... a day or two? I think I went about a week or so before I got bored of more "modern" games and just needed some Wads.

I recently took almost a whole year off from playing and mapping just to do other things. Hyperfixation is a PITA, lemme tell ya. Well, that and working retail makes it hard for me to avoid burning out on some hobbies quicker than I'd like.

Coming back afterward, I feel a lot more ready to stick with Doom-ing. You need to do other things with what little time you've got on this big rock hurtling through space, but the Doom scene's just too active and productive to let go of.

Of course. Like I also take breaks from gaming in general.

I just have my periods, few weeks I just wanna play games, other weeks I am more focused on something else I am doing (like creative hobbies, coding, etc) and don't feel like going back to gaming. And then back. Recently, I was feeling very down with doing anything else and I must have had 2 months I was playing every Doom wad that came in my mind, from old classic ones, to others I've haven't heard before. Was doing videos too. I had plan to go back to other things besides gaming, but couldn't get myself to. Like start working on OptiDoom port again, I am back by 1-2 months with this one. Now I am more into it, I only occasionally play Doom, two or three evenings per week.

Intentionally? Not really.

On this moment I would have been playing DooM, specifically GZDoom or Zandronum with some mods, and also working on the TCTOA Mod.

But well, I can't and I don't know how much time is left until I can actually go back to it.

2-3 days and i try playing again. Burnout usually happens when i finish some 32-level difficult megawad.

All the time. Sometimes it's related to real life like if I'm more busy with work or stuff like that but sometimes it can be because I'm more into my other favorite games. Also there are times when I'm getting frustrated by a certain aspect in one of my maps or a lack of imagination or motivation then I'll actively step back and give things a rest, it's what usually gets me out of those corners.

Yes, I get burned out on it. This year in particular I haven't played a lot, though I've been getting back in the mood again.

As flexible as wads and mods are, it all still eventually gets repetitive for me and it gets to the point where I just can't play Doom with enthusiasm anymore. I'll then take a break, come back months later and my interest will be reinvigorated. Rinse and repeat.

Same thing happens with any other game or genre I play too much of. I need real variety in my gaming, and only playing Doom is the opposite of that.

I've been away from the game for quite some time, especially 2018 which was virtually inactive. In my case, the ''burnout'' was caused by a clear lack of motivation to keep going. I loved the game, but I felt there wasn't much I could do, I didn't feel in my essence. I felt off because I wasnt doing anything more than just play the same things over and over. There was no diversity on the path I was going.

A year later, I returned to the game but this time I decided to do it differently, this time I decided to dive into every corner to find every opportunity there is. Then I realized that part of my burnout came from the simple fact that I was doing the exact activity over and over again. I wasn't playing with many Mods, I wasn't looking for WADs, I wasn't participating in events, I wasn't following community activity, I wasn't trying to be part of a group, etc. I isolated myself in a game that offers thousands of doors to set you free. Now I have found more than enough motivation to play, but Doom is no longer just about playing, it provides me with much, much more than just that. It provides me a home.

Usually when I get something new on Steam or something, I'll play that for like a month.  But once I'm finished with that, I go back to classic Doom.  I'm still looking at maps and new releases and such in the meantime, so when I come back to it, there's new stuff for me to try out.

Not from playing, but I do sometimes play mostly SP and other times mostly DM. I do take long breaks from making levels and WADs of my own, which has caused me to not really have much to release due to not finishing any WADs. 

I can take a break for a couple months, I usually cycle through Doom, Warframe, and Halo anymore. I probably have more hours in doom then all games in my steam library combined.

Not really, hard to have a Doom burnout when it's not the only game you're playing.

All the time. Doom is usually my background game that I play occasionally when I'm bored of whichever game I'm actively playing. I do go through periods of a few months where I focus on Doom heavily and that's usually mapping/modding rather than playing. That being said when sick new releases drop I do usually play them.

Sort of. Over the last few months of lockdown and furlough it's been a life saver. Getting into mapping in particular has helped keep me sane. It's been cool applying my programming knowledge to ACS.

Don't get me wrong it's also been great spending lots of time with my wife and kids as well but being able to apply my brain to something I love massively helps.

Before COVID? Yeah, I will branch out and play other games and play them to death but will always come back to Doom. It's very Zen for me. I'll relax in the evening by slaughtering some demons... 😁

The only game that has come close to comparing for longevity is Half-Life2.

From 1994 until 2009'ish no, I rarely took more than a few days away from Doom.

However after that period I did have a long break, there was simply too much going on in my life. I missed about a decade until the end of 2019 when I returned. I have been playing it almost every day since. So far I haven't felt the urge to give it up. I haven't logged into steam or gog in months.

Keep in mind though, I have had a decades worth of content to chew through so retention isn't really an issue.

I will more than likely fall into a routine where I do have a break now and then.... but not for awhile yet.

I have, several times. But they're because I'm busy with real-life responsibility, not because of burnout of any kind.

i do. but the breaks don't last long. the nice thing about doom is how quickly you can fire it up and play a map or two, even just for warming up. 

@smeghammerhalf-life 2: picked up black mesa during the steam summer sale and it's a very entertaining remake.

doom eternal was another example for a break from, uh, doom.

If I'm not playing Doom, I'm probably not gaming at all- most games bore me to tears actually.

Only really played a handful of wads over the last decade- but at least that means there's a lot of great releases to catch up on now that I'm playing frequently again.

I've unfortunately been sort of forced into taking a rather long break recently, mainly from mapping. I had a slew of technical problems that I still have not fully resolved because I don't know what's wrong. This in turn pushed me away from my PC quite a bit and I replayed a lot of other games on my Xbox. I don't have the money or knowledge to fix my problem yet. I fear a full rebuild might be needed but before I can do that I'll also need a new job. In addition, I've had a couple health problems that are still unexplained but seem to have gone away. So yea, I've taken a break but not because I wanted to. It sucks.

I play Doom in one form or another almost every single day. I mostly play on a laptop in bed at night but I recently got Doom 64 for PS4 so I was using my PS4 again. It's ironic as I got my PS4 pro at the start of 2017 and I'm using it to play Doom 64, a game from 1997. I also have PSX Doom on my PSP.

Since I started mapping I haven't taken a break from it... until the Coronavirus quarantined me at home and I got a bit bummed out. As soon as it got better, I got swamped with some illustration work and am doing this for the moment. I am itching to get back into mapping.

Since I played Doom for the first time, I took a ton of breaks. The first re-discovery of Doom happened after the source port was released and source ports for the Amiga came out. After that, I re-discovered it at some point, when I noticed that I could play online with modern source ports on the PC. That did not last very long, though. After that, BTSX brought me back into Doom for a very short moment and it was only after a pause and Blade of Agony, that I started actually mapping. Wish I would have started way, way earlier.

I'll get fatigued when playing it for too long in one sitting or when certain levels come up on the iwads, but otherwise I don't think I've gone longer than a month where I didnt at least play one of the Dooms