• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rev3n4nt

Faithful Doom mod (APR 2021)

RmDonRQ.png

Glitch report, you probably avare of these but just making sure:
Chainsaw can make bullet holes.

Plasma rifle is not shooting from its middle.

You cant create bullet holes on the grould if you shoot too close to your feet.

Chainsaw does some movement when fired that normal chainsaw doesn't do.

Rocket launcher is located a bit lower than the normal one.

Hey! Sorry, still can't get reporting on time.
I'm working on monsters appearance and fixing some issues.
Also I'm going to put together HD & normal version, so there will be no more jiggle around to run mod right-way. Also it will include Neural-Upscale2X weapon sprites v.0.95, as well as my own neural-upscaled sprites & few fixed ones.

Shotgun - I'll try to find better sounds for it.
Sparks can be putted in pair with tracers.

Holly sound was taken from Beautiful Doom mod, I just found it well fitting to Doom atmosphere. Alternative for it was quake 'secret' sound. Original IMHO is a bit off. There might be optional way to put sounds as vanilla & alternative - I'll check.

About shooting very top of the wall makes 2 holes on both surfaces - it's a 'bug' that goes with zdoom, and it came right from where it took it - Brutal Doom :) For now I don't know how to fix it.

Additional thing to be added soon: Punching wall sound & cracks on wall; Chainsaw marks on wall instead of bullet marks;

The things that are 'wrong' in vanilla Doom: Chainsaw can make bullet holes; Wall weapons are not centered & a bit crooked for 1-5 pixels to the side.
So - Plasma Rifle is not shooting from middle, Rockets are shooting from eyes, Rocket Launcher's muzzle-flash glitch, Super Shotgun muzzle-flash light.

Also about bugs: monsters - you probably noticed that shotgunners apper big on some frames, so I'm fixing it now. As well as other minor fixes with sizes & centering, that occur in vanilla doom as well.

Attaching gifs with Plasma Riffle & Rocket Launcher from various versions:

Plasma Riffle (Vanilla):

plasma2-doom2.gif.21bb3dc6b690b77fbee074332d3c1b87.gif

Plasma Riffle (Smooth Doom):

plasma2-smooth.gif.852e8688b3054632dc2842fa663024d3.gif

Plasma Riffle (Beautiful Doom):

plasma-beautiful.gif.557719cbabcd01aade8150ed371e44fe.gif

Plasma Riffle (Faithful Doom):

plasma-faithful.gif.a303adf57db813c64adbf712ba11daf3.gif

Rocket Launcher (Vanilla Doom):

rocket2-doom2.gif.9641783c6b7f850813897c7b40e3cc44.gif

Rocket Launcher (Smooth Doom):

rocket-smooth.gif.649abe44f8c86299d93bba86974c7b6b.gif

Rocket Launcher (Beautiful Doom):

rocket-beautiful.gif.00539a0060a51d57788deb78c5082ffb.gif

Rocket Launcher (Faithful Doom):

rocket-faithful.gif.701f0c2f60482a766d1b092d1a62a8f0.gif

Edited by Rev3n4nt : upload images gifs

Lovely! Im so glad that you are still on the project, its really not about how long it takes but well the final product is :p just look at bd, gets the full updates once a year but every version is better than the last one.

Funnily enough i actually didn't noticed shotgun man, i was mostly looking at the guns in an empty room :p

Glad you make a big list of what to do in the upcoming versions, one thing i should add, since we have this knuckle thingy on our hands hitting walls probably do metal sound instead of bone crushing.

Ah yeah also i said "Chainsaw does some movement when fired that normal chainsaw doesn't do." before thats probably about where you got the sprites from (assuming beautiful doom?) do you have plans on making that more like the original or are you going to leave as is?

On 8/15/2019 at 3:55 AM, xanrer said:

Lovely! Im so glad that you are still on the project, its really not about how long it takes but well the final product is :p just look at bd, gets the full updates once a year but every version is better than the last one.

Funnily enough i actually didn't noticed shotgun man, i was mostly looking at the guns in an empty room :p

Glad you make a big list of what to do in the upcoming versions, one thing i should add, since we have this knuckle thingy on our hands hitting walls probably do metal sound instead of bone crushing.

Ah yeah also i said "Chainsaw does some movement when fired that normal chainsaw doesn't do." before thats probably about where you got the sprites from (assuming beautiful doom?) do you have plans on making that more like the original or are you going to leave as is?

So yeah, I'll try to fix first frames for guns to make them centered.

For shotgun I'll probably add muzzle into weapons sprites.

For brass knuckles there is a sound hitting metal in Brutal Doom I think.

Chainsaw - I'll probably add 2 versions - the one that shakes will be in "enchanced", and one that is still in vanilla.

The hardest part now is monsters - some sprites are not looking well in upscaled version.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, Rev3n4nt said:

The hardest part now is monsters - some sprites are not looking well in upscaled version.

Hmm that might be problematic, maybe you should wait for them to fix for the time being.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:27 PM, xanrer said:

Hmm that might be problematic, maybe you should wait for them to fix for the time being.

Monsters are not a problem, it's just too many sprites to work with :)

New version is available in google drive. Latest dev. build version is updated to master branch.

Spoiler

Added:
cvar for sparcles;
explosive barrel;
hires soulsphere & computermap;
items stimpack, medikit, allmap, infrared, yellowcard;
items smooth animation;
monster cacodemon;
monster chaingunner;
monster demon;
monster imp sprites;
monster sarge/see more sprites & offset fix;
monster spider mastermind with tracers & casings;
monsters zscript & sprites from smooth doom: imp, zombieman, sarge;
more frames for soulsphere;
rocket explosion smooth animation;
sounds for items & weapon pickups;
ssg hd frames;
tracers for monsters: shotgunguy, zombie, chaingunner;
weapons hd sprites;

Changed:
converted & moved original sprites lmp into png;
converted & replaced sprites & hd for plasmagun & ssg;
converted all monster sprites into png;
monsters sarge code gib health;
restructured folders for sounds, sprites & hd;

Patched:
chaingun flash hd sprites;
code for weapon animation and sounds;
fists sprites hd edges;
hd sprite bfg, chaingun, pistol, shotgun, plasma;
hd sprites fire for bfg, chaingun, plasma;
item sounds code;
monsters caco, zombie, imp;
monsters imp explosion;
monsters sarge & zombie xdeth frames;
monsters sarge/see frames misplacement;
chaingun & chainsaw code;
monsters zombie, commando;
plasmagun center offset;
player weapons with bullets did not use ammo without tracers on;
players rocketlauncher sounds;
players shotgun muzzle;
shotgun & chaingun code anim seq;
shotgun hd sprite frames;

Removed:
unused hd sprites & frames;
Hd pk3 pack - merged with main PaithfulDoom;

Not much feedback I can give this time. Everything looks like coming along steadily. One thing I noticed, sarge disappears in one frame, either on cocking or walking. Also, you may want to check this. In the end it was a good excuse to play episode 1 again after some time XD

On 10/3/2019 at 7:00 PM, xanrer said:

One thing I noticed, sarge disappears in one frame, either on cocking or walking.

Thanks! Found issue: sarge 1 walking sprite frames had missing offset - now fixed & re-uploaded;

On 10/3/2019 at 7:00 PM, xanrer said:

Also, you may want to check this

I'll check that hud add-on. There are many hud improvements, so i think I'll make like this one but with smooth  hd mugshot animations & maybe with no bar at all, in one of options for hud;

Also about sarge: I'm working on up-scaled smooth version,

1st is upscale with smooth edges, 2nd is from neural upscale 2x mod, 3rd is plane upscale, 4th is improved with face partially from doomguy's mugshot;

Which one look better as improved original and why? Or what part of it is better?

SPOSC1.png.a8a178dc00a4f4acbe08fc2d6e86831b.png0SPOSA1.png.dbbda9ac0bb0256e433532c983abd29d.pngSPOSA1.png.f7cab6d91a0a57db9d481b8559d60763.pngSPOSA1.png.103d047c16518f6d80d38bfd87ef97e8.png

Hmm, well I'd say the first one as overall, however in first ones face the yellowish color looks like a golden ring around his mouth rather than just vomit over his chin, I believe that is an error that happened while upscaling:
SPOSC1.png.380eb205427f6b8a4cb504f8a8766ecf.png
gfdhdgh.png.9bf9664ff4f4cc272fababe8a1f134f0.png

The second one could be an option too, however the mouth looks a lot like a hitler mustache than an open mouth, i always imagined in this specific way (+green stuff on his chin):
2166253-shotgun_guy.png.c4ae5562fb2048eb118d5fdfe20dc337.png
Another thing on the second one, you may want to do a tiny bit of shadowy outline around the outer skin parts of the image, doom levels are usually dark themed and the second and forth pic looks like there is a light source behind the shootgunguy, that's mostly why most of the original doom sprites has a little darker outlines that the other parts of the sprite.

In original Doom sprites there are many mistakes, which are mostly fixed by fans community) But I want to make up-scaled sprites closer to original as possible. The one that you send is not quite right I think - eyes should be big & red, not white. About mouth - it's not quite obvious what is it, since from different angle its half-shut:

image.png.1c0dc2a9f10a0b5455c6553e0809c8bd.png

I was thinking about those versions, but scale to 2x only.

image.png.c7fe2eb0fb2b8654a43e91ff8a4ed29f.pngimage.png.eb1a8a6cd4a0fef6aa572fbc8dbbdea2.png

I'll try alter it, so that scaled to 1x will be almost same as original :)

13 hours ago, Rev3n4nt said:

image.png.c7fe2eb0fb2b8654a43e91ff8a4ed29f.png

Hmm, id say eyes has to glow or bleed a bit more, or at least should be a really distinctive red, and also skin color but you probably realized that part, aside from that i always though those sprites (the one on the first picture's left side) always looked a bit too realistic with their faces, I think doom kind of stays in a rather cartoonish style compare to that style, it may fit into doom64's models but a bit off-putting for doom1 if you ask me. The body is quite fine but may want some lower contrast, especially between legs it kind of looks like he is liquefying there. One more thing; the shotgun is a completely different model, you may want to use that part from another model.

And for the closing mouth thing, man gonna dry his mouth if he doesn't close it now and then i guess XD

If you want to go easy however you can just rescale the True zombie model to 0.25 and all the realistic detail will be gone.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:31 PM, sweety80 said:

Existing doom neural upscale will not be applied.
Texture is applied but sprites is not.

Of course not. "Doom Neural Upscale 2x" is made from original Doom1/2 sprites & textures, so frames of sprites are not same as in "Smooth Doom" or "Beautiful Doom" mods. Later I'll add more stuff. For hud wea[pns only you can use "Doom Neural Upscale 2x" addon, that came later. You can check posts for who did when and what, but probably nobody cares for that stuff :)

As for updates: 

Added HIRES sprites for monsters: Spider Mastermind, Chaingun zombie, Pinky Demon, Imp,Shotgun zombie, Pistol Zombie 
Added sprites for monsters: Cacodemon;

Later I'll add the rest of monsters and some lights for items as well as fixes.

Since kcghost created: Doom Wadsnip Hi-Res v1.0

So I don't have to upscale by hands, but there will be some fixes.

Also I have made a python3 script for "cleaning" sprites, keeping only offsets, so only Hires versions will be kept visible for size reasons.

Updates by: Jan 27, 2020
changed: HIRES items/ inisibility & megahealth +bk;
changed: HIRES items/ hazard suit & invulnerability;
added: zscript codem sprites & HIRES monsters/:
arachnotron, chaingunner,
cyberdemon, mancubus,
hellknight, pain elemental,
revenant, archvile, lost soul;

Jan 26, 2020:
added: code, sprites & HIRES monsters/ Hell Knight & Baron of Hell;
changed: fixed HIRES items/blue armor;
changed: monsters/sarge & imp code;
removed: unused sprites monsters/imp & sarge;
changed: folder names monsters/imp & sarge;

Jan 25, 2020:
changed: monsters/ cacodemon & pinky demon code;
renamed: frame monsters/ cacodemon;
removed: unused frames monsters/ cacodemon;
removed: old unused monsters sprites; 
added: HIRES monsters/ cacodemon;
fixed: HIRES monsters/ chaingunner, pinky demon;

some monsters "see" sprites need rework;

soon I'll start adding glowing animated projectiles;

later I'll add animated decorations;

Haven't noticed any bugs except for baron of hell switching between high and low resolution constantly in its walk animation. Good job as always ;)

14 hours ago, xanrer said:

Haven't noticed any bugs except for baron of hell switching between high and low resolution constantly in its walk animation. Good job as always ;)

Ok, thanks for notice :) Later I'll fix frames for HIRES version of monsters & weapons.

Great mod!

It works very good, thanks for your work.

Only requests I would make --

1. options to have different wall particles would be good for choice e.g. none, vanilla, upgraded wall flash

2. options to increase shell casings number and lifetime? maybe 9999 max and 9999 lifetime max

3. options to choose audio type e.g. vanilla audio, upgraded weapons audio, etc. for both player and enemies

4. options for decals on walls e.g. off/on

Really like the animation and texture quality, very good, and the new pictures of the HD models are amazing :) can't wait to see those in-game!

On 3/15/2020 at 10:19 PM, curryking3 said:

Great mod!

It works very good, thanks for your work.

Only requests I would make --

1. options to have different wall particles would be good for choice e.g. none, vanilla, upgraded wall flash

2. options to increase shell casings number and lifetime? maybe 9999 max and 9999 lifetime max

3. options to choose audio type e.g. vanilla audio, upgraded weapons audio, etc. for both player and enemies

4. options for decals on walls e.g. off/on

Really like the animation and texture quality, very good, and the new pictures of the HD models are amazing :) can't wait to see those in-game!

Thanks)
For all requests in here - I'll try to make them implemented soon with options in mod menu;
The mod's main point is to increase animation frames & image quality x2, while trying keep close to original style & minor additions missed in vanilla;

On 4/17/2020 at 4:00 PM, Rev3n4nt said:

The mod's main point is to increase animation frames & image quality x2, while trying keep close to original style & minor additions missed in vanilla;

Hi, @Rev3n4nt, nice mod, thank you very much for your work!

One question: Is there any reason you are storing some monster sprites -like the chaingunner, for example- distributed among DOOM and DOOM.DOOM2 filter folders? Shouldn't all of them be on DOOM.DOOM2?

On 4/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, r6d2 said:

Hi, @Rev3n4nt, nice mod, thank you very much for your work!

One question: Is there any reason you are storing some monster sprites -like the chaingunner, for example- distributed among DOOM and DOOM.DOOM2 filter folders? Shouldn't all of them be on DOOM.DOOM2?

Hello! Thank you)

Yes, for GZdoom there is FILTER folder, for high res. versions of sprites & textures & other resources. Inside FILTER are folders for version of Doom you are running (maybe even Heretic).

There is folder: DOOM - commonly shared for all Doom versions (i.e Doom Ultimate, Doom 2, Plutonia e.t.c.); For more specific destination other folder are included: DOOM.DOOM2 is where only Doom2 resources, and DOOM.DOOM1 is where only Doom resources. In some cases sprites & textures may contradict, like Doom2 texture in Doom1 & getting SSG by cheats from Doom2 in Doom1 may not occur or with glitches;

As for updates - I fixed weapon raise bug for pistol & SSG;

Added some new lights & effects for Plasmagun & Rocket Launcher(if you noticed in previous  version);

Soon I'll try to add updated effects, bug fixes and so on.

Known bugs for now:

muzzleflash for chaingun,

barrel sprite size shrinked for explosion;

powerups\items hires missing frames;

If there are other bugs that you see - please notify me about them)

Also I was thinking about adding:

Walls animated textures with smooth animations(such as fountains and leakage of nukage/blood e.t.c);

Pistol semi-auto mode, activated from options menu;

For animated monitors you can use quake's monitors. They where quite nice, at least in my memory.

Updated git repository files:

Commits on 2020-08-10:

sprites:

fix barrel sprite size shrinked for explosion;

light:

barrel explode had no lights;

bullet tracer had no lights;

anims:

water, blood & nukage is wave effect(for now);

added: menu skull animation;

Commits on 2020-06-17:

sprites:

fix monsters/lostsoul frames 

lostsoul - stick remove

barrel frame sprite size shrinked for explosion

fixed: git ignore

Have been working on a fork of Wadsnip, by making it easier to use.

https://github.com/Rev3n4nt/wadsnip

Instead of:

Using only arguments to launch python script - Executable is available in Release section, can be used with arguments and without;

Converting first original Doom sprites & textures, then additional sprites - Straight to files in folder that user placed;

Requirement of files from GzDoom, WAD files of original Doom - No such requirement;

Compiling executable by Make file and then using XbrzScale - Download executable release version;

Complete working app is available from Release section:

https://github.com/Rev3n4nt/wadsnip/releases/tag/1.1

bug report: changing internal weapon names breaks mod compatibility with nc hud, and can crash the game into console.

Example:

Pick up shotgun, does not register as recognized shotgun in inventory, game does not let you switch BACK to the shotgun.

Player types IDKFA in Doom1 wad. Cheat code gives player everything including Super Shotgun, player switches to regular shotgun, which player now has 2 of. Gzdoom crashes into console. Actually, this can just happen by picking up the shotgun with nc hud by itself, the first method works with other mods loaded.

Please keep compatibility so that it doesn't break mods like nc hud.

Also, this mod can't be technically called "Faithful" when you change sound effects, especially with ripped sounds from painkiller that isn't even an id game, and may be legally questionable. (secret noise) That stuff should be kept optional and default off.

Also, if you want to include some decent weapon graphics, check out:

That said, this mod needs work to fix some glitches.

I was able to get the mod working by disabling all the weapons, barrels, doomguy, and removing the FDoomPlayer class. The shotgun is what crashes the mod, but I don't know how to fix it. The FDoomPlayer class is also non-standard and must be removed to load. Barrels must be also disabled to fix voxel support. Anything that is generally non-standard had to be turned off.

I don't see why this can't just be a graphical improvement mod that doesn't break other mods.

Edited by DefectiveByDesign

Sorry for taking so long to answer. Is hard to be on time on these days.

On 10/7/2020 at 12:31 AM, DefectiveByDesign said:

bug report: changing internal weapon names breaks mod compatibility with nc hud, and can crash the game into console.

Example:

Pick up shotgun, does not register as recognized shotgun in inventory, game does not let you switch BACK to the shotgun.

Player types IDKFA in Doom1 wad. Cheat code gives player everything including Super Shotgun, player switches to regular shotgun, which player now has 2 of. Gzdoom crashes into console. Actually, this can just happen by picking up the shotgun with nc hud by itself, the first method works with other mods loaded.

Please keep compatibility so that it doesn't break mods like nc hud.

Also, this mod can't be technically called "Faithful" when you change sound effects, especially with ripped sounds from painkiller that isn't even an id game, and may be legally questionable. (secret noise) That stuff should be kept optional and default off.

Also, if you want to include some decent weapon graphics, check out:

That said, this mod needs work to fix some glitches.

I was able to get the mod working by disabling all the weapons, barrels, doomguy, and removing the FDoomPlayer class. The shotgun is what crashes the mod, but I don't know how to fix it. The FDoomPlayer class is also non-standard and must be removed to load. Barrels must be also disabled to fix voxel support. Anything that is generally non-standard had to be turned off.

I don't see why this can't just be a graphical improvement mod that doesn't break other mods.

Nc hud? Faithful Doom was not made to be compatible with every other mod :) Same goes for Beautiful Doom - try to launch it with Nc hud and type idkfa and change for shotgun, see what will happen :) For Nc hud - it works with Smooth Doom, because author of mod have in mind that it should work with it. It even have patches for Brutal Doom and other mods. Nc hud custom scripts conflict with Faithful Doom scripts as well as with Beautiful Doom. I'll see what I can do, and answer here.
The sound that you mentioned I took from Beautiful doom :) I'll change it for that from new Unity port if it's ok. About legal stuff - many things in other mods for Doom are questionable too.

I probably should update in description, what idea stands behind this mod: it was made as mod that doubles sprites size and frames. 2x for sprites are enough, as mentioned in Doom Neural Upscale 2X, looked best without really noticing difference and making better at the same time. Bigger upscale makes it weird looking sometimes. Plus making it all by hand is a lot of work, so I used freely available sprites from Perkristian's pack (used in Smooth and Beautiful Doom) and AI Neural Networks Waifu2x + Topaz's AI gigaPixel + manual fix in obvious failures. First I simply added new frames for guns for Vanilla Doom. But Doom sprites are not precise and so I changed many sprites instead existing, not only adding new. Later Added projectiles and other stuff like sounds.
About standard - how can you add new frames without changing standard?) There are mods for Smooth Doom that add 2x, 4x, 8x sprites (Doom Wadsnip Hi-Res by kcghost) and mods that add extra frames for 2x sprites(check page for Doom Neural Upscale 2X & addon Smooth weapons decorate).

But overall I agree - mod needs rework to be more flexible with more options to choose what to turn on or off, and be simpler towards graphic improvement - more like Smooth Doom, and less like Beautiful I guess :)

P.S

If you have problems with finding mods that I mentioned:

Doom Wadsnip Hi-Res by kcghost (2x,4x, 8x sprites for Smooth Doom)

Doom Neural Upscale 2X by hidfan (AI NeuralNetworks upscales textures + Smooth weapons decorate addon)

Beautiful Doom by Jekyll Grim Payne (the one that also used improved sprites & frames):

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=50004

On 12/1/2020 at 6:14 AM, Rev3n4nt said:

Sorry for taking so long to answer. Is hard to be on time on these days.

Hi, @Rev3n4nt! I hope you're doing OK.

I wonder... What's the status of this mod? I see it's not been updated on GitHub for a while now.

Are you still working on it? Do you need help with some specific features?

Hi, @r6d2! I'm fine, mostly.
Currently mod is still WIP, was in hiatus for some time due to increased working hours at my job.
I'm still working on some fixes for sprites, probably need to make refactoring.
I'll try to release something along this week.