Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Quake

Some people felt it was a pretty lame game, and that id half-assed it just to make a quick buck. Some, like myself, thought that the game was fun and atmospheric.
What do you think of Quake?

Always liked Quake. I started online deathmatch with Quake, and it got me into 3d models/skins. Another game that featured many firsts for the FPS genre.

I loved playing multi in Quake with the Reaperbot...now my comp is dead. :(

loloLoloLOlOLoloLoloLOloloLOlOLOlOLOLoloLOlololololOLOLOLolOlOLoLOLOLoloLOlololoLOlOloLoLoLOlolOLOLOLOlOLOLoloLOLoLoLoloLoLoLOLOlololOlOlOLoloLOlOlOLOlolOlOLoloLolololOLoloLoloLolOLololoLOlololOloLOl

Quake was good for the first three months after it came out. A novelty. Then it got old very fast. The moral of the story is: It's better to have good sprites than bad polygons.

lament said:

Quake was good for the first three months after it came out. A novelty. Then it got old very fast. The moral of the story is: It's better to have good sprites than bad polygons.

I felt this way too at first, I was against the polys, but you've got to start somewhere. You wouldn't have good polygons without having bad ones at some point.

Right, exactly, USE3D. The tech was new at the time. No one had ever seen a fully 3d floor over floor gaming world before, and because of that it was kind of easy to forgive the blockiness and stuff of the polygons used in game.

EDIT: Damn DOOM Anomaly :)

What sucks is that polygons really aren't getting much better anymore. They've almost been optimally rounded out... Imagine the days when characters will have 50 million polygons. People will still consider them to be 10 times better than the 5 million polygon models even when there is no visual difference whatsoever.

No, that's ridiculous. That can't happen. Something is going to have to change. This silly, ridiculous, pointless endeavor toward more and more polygons cannot continue indefinitely. It really is time for games to start looking good, instead of being high-tech.

AndrewB said:

What sucks is that polygons really aren't getting much better anymore. They've almost been optimally rounded out... Imagine the days when characters will have 50 million polygons. People will still consider them to be 10 times better than the 5 million polygon models even when there is no visual difference whatsoever.

No, that's ridiculous. That can't happen. Something is going to have to change. This silly, ridiculous, pointless endeavor toward more and more polygons cannot continue indefinitely. It really is time for games to start looking good, instead of being high-tech.

And again you show yourself to be a fucking moron. Granted we don't know what's over the horizon, the next new way to think of these matters, but we're still nowhere near the upper limit of what properly executed polygons on a screen can accomplish.

Fuck Quake

Quake 3 > Quake 2 > Quake 1

Gameplay is always over graphics, gg noobs

When I first saw Quake, I was impressed. Nowadays its more of a novelty,but it's fun to play every once in a while. Quake 2 is about 10x better though.

Quake 1 was the best out of the whole quake series. I don't know, it's not saying much, but it's still a good game. I liked it better than Heretic or Hexen.

What Quake lacks in single player, it more than makes up for it in multiplayer, especially Team Fortress. Many months have I spent killing people, breaking their things, getting the flag, killing more people, capturing the flag, and doing it all over again.

To this day, the sniper is still far too powerful, and will always be the most annoying class there is.

I've got more multiplayer out of Quake than any other PC game, except for Duke3D. The game just had a sense of solidity and efficiency to it. I think it was fun because of the unearthly atmosphere. The howling winds, the echoing waterdrops, the powerup items... More like something from a weird dream.

When games are too much like Earth life and "realistic", they're also quite familiar, leaving few thought-provoking artistic elements. Let me think of two opposite examples in that sense.... Hexen on one end, Half-Life on the other end.

DooMBoy said:

Right, exactly, USE3D. The tech was new at the time. No one had ever seen a fully 3d floor over floor gaming world before, and because of that it was kind of easy to forgive the blockiness and stuff of the polygons used in game.

Descent. True 3D and models. Way before its time.

Ichor said:

To this day, the sniper is still far too powerful, and will always be the most annoying class there is.

EMP in the old snipers nest! :P

/me == Engineer fanatic

Actualy, it is my secret shame that I've never played the original TF. I could never get the bastard to work.

ZarcyB said:

Descent. True 3D and models. Way before its time.

What about Stunts, the 1990 (Canadian) race-against-the-clock game? Also true 3D and models. (You can download if you want...)

For me, I was MIGHTILY dissappointed with Quake. my exact analasys after playing 4 levels of ep 1 were " Ok. Lemme get this straight. they basically Take Doom, make unappealing monsters look like cheap origami, make the graphics worse (I saw them as blockier than Doom) The gameplay boring, take out the presence of a story, smear brown everyhere as far as the player can see, make the weapons unbleivable
( A ssg shouldn't reload in .5 seconds with a single click ) and then, top it off with some of the most irritating music (IMHO) to be used in an fps, and call it a game? I think not.
Quake II, however kicked ass.

EMPs? I was always the medic. I (or another Nerd) thought up a lot of the more bizarre concussion grenade jumps. I could use one in the water on 2fort4 and later versions, and be on the sniper deck before they can see me. Then with a whack or two of my trusty medikit, they die a slow, painful death, hahaaaa.

I was also a demoman, but that was mainly for setting detpacks. In rock1 and rock2, I would get in the front entrance and just stand there with a primed grenade. The enemies see me and naturally try to shoot me, but before they can, the grenade goes off and I soar up to the high platform, and continue on to annihilate their defenses from the inside out.

Then there's the good ol' detpack. I have had so much fun setting a 255 second detpack in a dark or easily ignored place, only to have it wipe out the entire enemy defense when they least expect it.

Oh yeah, as a soldier on CustomTF, I am the engineer's worst nightmare, heheh.

I'm stunned.
Quake is a fantastic game.... shame how much you guys miss out on stuff sometimes.
and how much most of the advanced ports try so hard to BE quake or quake2, I'm surprised they aren't liked more.
oh well.
lastly, there is little to no reason any of you would EVER want to play DOOM3, because it is a quake-generation game -- soo far away from DOOM.
again, oh well.

DEMOn said:

I'm stunned.
Quake is a fantastic game.... shame how much you guys miss out on stuff sometimes.
and how much most of the advanced ports try so hard to BE quake or quake2, I'm surprised they aren't liked more.
oh well.
lastly, there is little to no reason any of you would EVER want to play DOOM3, because it is a quake-generation game -- soo far away from DOOM.
again, oh well.

There's a misconception. There's a difference between Quake the game, and Quake the engine. True that almost all games today had some beginning with such engine. The game, well. It coulda been better.

Too brown, too dark, but a very good game.

For me, it was always going to have to be very good, no awesomely good, to live up to Doom, and though it made a good attempt, it didn't quite get there.

Still one of the best games ever made though.

The first feeling quake inspired in me was utter disappointment in every department.

I admit though that technologically, I was impressed, but my judgment of the game as a piece of entertainment is very negative. I agree with John Romero: Too much focus on tech, far too little focus on gameplay and creativity.

Visuals: I didn't like the graphics, mostly because of the excessive use of brown and I didn't like the boxyness of the character models. The fact that the clouds in the sky were moving was somewhat interesting, but again, I liked Doom's skies better, because they gave a far better impression of the world outside than the blue and purple skies of Quake.

Gameplay: Mostly teh suck! It's not even on par with Doom's gameplay. Yes, you can look up and down and jump, but many other shooters had these features at that time so nothing new there and the weapons were a bunch of pea shooters for the most part, incapable of throwing the enemies off their feet like a good shotgun blast was able to in Doom. The monsters are cool though (it's an id game - all id games, even Q2, have cool enemies).

Atmosphere: Pretty cool and moody - only really positive thing I have to say about Quake as a game.

Music: Most of you know my take on the Quake music, but for those who somehow don't know: I consider Quake's music the worst game soundtrack I've heard to date.

Story: Gah, I'm not even gonna bother with this.

Multiplayer: Since I'm not interested in mp games, I couldn't care less if Quake was officially awarded as the best MP game of all time - I'd still consider it a lousy game.

dsm said:

Multiplayer: Since I'm not interested in mp games, I couldn't care less if Quake was officially awarded as the best MP game of all time - I'd still consider it a lousy game.

Just as well, since the DM inevitably turns into a rocket spamfest in every level with a rocket launcher, and the other weapons without exception are utterly powerless in comparison except when combined with the quad damage.

dsm said:

Heartily agreed. That's why to me, Q3 is not a game. It's a freaking 80$ botfest. WOW. I wanna buy me one of those! :P