Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

Doom -1: A Doomworld Experiment

Reserving MAP18.

@CaptainToenail: I agree on all those weapons (plus the single barrel shotgun I suggested earlier). Amuscaria quality, but they haven't been used in a million previous mods :)

Also, since the Plasma Gun already has a different projectile and BFG 9000 has completely different behaviour, we really need to find some new sprites for those. There are some fitting ones on R667 if we can't find anything else.

1 hour ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Also, since the Plasma Gun already has a different projectile and BFG 9000 has completely different behaviour, we really need to find some new sprites for those. There are some fitting ones on R667 if we can't find anything else.

Fair enough I'm sure you guys can find something better

Spoiler

I wonder if is possible to convert the plasma into a flamethrower?

13 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

If you *really* don't want to use either the fork or GZDoom, you do have other options: why not give Eternity and Doom Retro a try? The latter in particular is quite similar to PRBoom+.

I already haz all the ports, that's not my issue. I just think it's bad to disregard the original designated format only because some people didn't bother to read and just can't help themselves from dumping all sorts of random stuff into the wad.

First of all, it's kinda insulting to Attic, whose only rule was originally that it stays vanilla ... Then it became limit removing (fine) and then suddenly it was boom. Personally I wish Attic would put the foot down and stop people from disobeying what little rules there are.

Why do I wish that? Because secondly, I think the infinite features of gzdoom will only further confuse an already haphazard experiment. It's not because I'm a purist, it's because I understand how much work is needed to make an ultra-modern mod actually good. It's a lot more work than just throwing maps together and calling it a day. I just don't think it will turn out good if we introduce an extra thousand options for mappers to consider.

This is an all inclusive wad, meaning super noob mappers are able to contribute. That's great! But since they don't know how to use advanced features, it's much harder to edit the wad. And let's face it, we think we know how to use a feature, until something breaks. Having all the UDMF features to worry about means a lot more breaking. There's already enough fixing to do with basic map format!

@CaptainToenail: I agree on all those weapons (plus the single barrel shotgun I suggested earlier). Amuscaria quality, but they haven't been used in a million previous mods :)

i added, but the someone replaced it or the version got buried... i think i will add it again!

12 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

...Personally I wish Attic would put the foot down and stop people from disobeying what little rules there are.

Maybe I should actually, I've been thinking about doing this, but then it would force people to have to fix some things.

Whatever.

Doom -1 is now going to aim for as much compatibility as possible, and that will be it. Also, it has to work with the original Boom source port, so no ACS and ZScript. Features are going to be obviously cut, such as DEHEXTRA, so you all are going to have to find new ways to make features. I didn't want to have to write this, but I guess it had to happen.

6 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Doom -1 is now going to aim for as much compatibility as possible, and that will be it. Also, it has to work with the original Boom source port, so no ACS and ZScript. Features are going to be obviously cut, such as DEHEXTRA, so you all are going to have to find new ways to make features. I didn't want to have to write this, but I guess it had to happen

Boom format with basic Dehacked seems like an excellent compromise to me, I'm all for that. That will help us avoid a lot of compatibility headaches in the future and keep things manageable.

The current format (Boom) is perfectly fine by me. It gives you a few more options than traditional doom but in general it's still pretty vanilla. I am pretty much against adding ZDoom features for similar reasons as magicsofa.

2 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

Weapon update

• Better red gloves for the uzi
  • Uzi pickup sprite better matches weapon and now faces correct direction
  • New uzi ammo clips
  • Also as a bonus, a chrome plasma rifle that shoots green plasma balls

i think that the vibrant red gloves are better. -.=.-

20 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Maybe I should actually, I've been thinking about doing this, but then it would force people to have to fix some things.

Whatever.

Doom -1 is now going to aim for as much compatibility as possible, and that will be it. Also, it has to work with the original Boom source port, so no ACS and ZScript. Features are going to be obviously cut, such as DEHEXTRA, so you all are going to have to find new ways to make features. I didn't want to have to write this, but I guess it had to happen.

when i asked to obsidian plague for "advanced dehacked" i meant "BEX" not "DEHEXTRA", i didn't know that "DEHEXTRA" even existed! and majorly of source-ports don't support it! i didn't research it!

all this confusion is my fault! >.=.<"

Reserving MAP 03 once more for a short time.

I am re-arranging the rooms north of the crate maze into another (hopefully also better) configuration. I have rotated the computer trap room 90 degrees and will make it again an (optional?) trap room. I am keeping all the rooms, just re-arranging them differently.

14 minutes ago, dragon's influence said:

all this confusion is my fault! >.=.<"

It was just an accident, it's not really your fault.

I'm going to see what BEX is and see if it's good.

edit: Ok, BEX seems like a cool thing, I approve of it's usage.

MAP 03 update.

I rotated the computer room 90 degrees and it is now again some sort of trap room, like it was in the beginning. It is completely optional so I suggest adding some kind of important weapon here (why not the super shotgun and some green armor?). And replace the current super shotgun with the berserk? Lots of possibilities. I also suggest connecting the teleporters to one another by adding another set of rooms. Making the way to the red key longer.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4wz0smxrro7dop8/NEGATIVEONE_v2.67.rar/file

Edited by PinkFlamingo

To be honest, it was a nice idea, but it lost all interest since it became a megawad.

I think in the end it would have been more interesting to work on one map. Now I have the impression that it's more of a community project where a few people participate in turn.  (Dragon influence, Nightmare, Captain Toenail and few others). 

The maps look nice though.

Finished for the evening :)

kbwqzr4.png

vYitg0u.png

Changelog:

MAP18:

- Added curbs, road markings, manholes, etc to the roads and pavements. The road markings and manholes haven't yet been applied everywhere, but the curbs are complete except for the edges of the map.

- The above required significantly widening the space between the buildings, and this ended up freeing quite a lot of space south of Doom Burger. I started turning it into a park, with a couple of Captain Toenail's trees shamelessly copy'n'pasted from MAP19.

- Changed the hedges to use CT's new textures.

- Added a alleyway between two of the buildings.

- Added a dumpster to the alleyway, and another outside of Doom Burger.

(Oh and yes, the map does need a better flat than FLAT1 for the pavements)

MAP25:

- Added some more WOODMET beams to the upper level.

- A few other misc. changes and fixes.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h0cv67cz90phyrm/NEGATIVEONE_v2.68.rar/file

BTW I don't recall anyone ever trying to add any of the "infinite GZDoom features" such as ACS or ZScript to this project? If you're referring to DEHEXTRA, it's actually from Doom Retro originally.

Edited by NiGHTMARE

59 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

BTW I don't recall anyone ever trying to add any of the "infinite GZDoom features" such as ACS or ZScript to this project? If you're referring to DEHEXTRA, it's actually from Doom Retro originally.

Perhaps not, but there was talk:

12 hours ago, CBM said:

next version of this should target gzdoom directly. it will allow for so many cool things in the levels

I think CBM was talking about a potential future sequel or spin-off of Negative One, rather than the current project.

Something that could be interesting for Negative Two would be to start off with a set number a room of levels (maybe 16) with one or two rooms each. These are used as the basis for not one but two wads: one limit-removing and the other Boom+ or GZDoom. They would then be run as separate projects, a bit like with MAYHem 2018's Purple and Orange editions.

Other stipulations could be that no additional levels can be added, and the existing ones can't be moved around. Oh, and no use of copyrighted resources ;).

MAP18:

Very cool!

Added a self-contained arena battle to map25 to get a yellow skull key. The entrance telepad to the southwest is just a placeholder. I had to cut and paste from a previous version of the map so hopefully I didn't screw up any sector tags.

Red sky transfer added to map07.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wiq16b14kfjk6lw/NEGATIVEONE_v2.69.wad.7z/file

7 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Can someone replace the DEHEXTRA thing with the DEX thing? I mean, you guys probably used it to make that weird BFG Negative 9000 thing.

That will hopefully solve the issue of BFG deleting entire arsenal of weapons from player's inventory on ZDaemon... right? :|

I will, in the meanwhile, merge my edits of map26 into the latest version tomorrow evening at the latest - I'm not 100% the best with detailing open spaces and ofc I felt like putting one because I love torturing myself :)

4 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

Should we have some sort of DoomWiki page? Maybe get a wad reviewer to notice it? Work on the lore?

1) DoomWiki page should be after the relase of the WAD, but it's a good idea

2) I know a Twitch streamer that reviews and criticises WADS constructively and accepts WAD requests, he has a thread here in DW and also for channelpoints he'll try a WAD, i'll make sure of requesting the WAD to him after we finish the WAD. Link: www.twitch.tv/Austinado_

3) Well, i can give a small idea on what could be a nice lore, what about: "You're a detective, you're given the task to investigate a satellite in Titan, wich has suddenly lost connection to the Earth Station, but you soon find it's been invaded by Satan's minions"

8 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Oh, those are ZDoom 3D bridge things. It used to be a ZDoom/Hexen format level, and it seems I forgot to remove them when I converted it to Doom format.

I might try playing around with self-referencing sectors on this bridge, unless you have any plans for it.

Don't change it, only if it's necessary, but you'd have to also change a bit my changes then, since the red key was placed to lure the player into falling with the enemies

SSG_smaller.png.63bfd8acea5cbb3259826180b092ed1b.png

im editing the SSG, the normal sprite is too big so i based this edit on the original SSG, the black dots are for perspective!

7 hours ago, Rosh Fragger said:

That will hopefully solve the issue of BFG deleting entire arsenal of weapons from player's inventory on ZDaemon... right? :|

The current BFG uses frames and codepointers from MBF, and this is what's causing the ZDaemon issue. To restore it to vanilla behaviour, I believe you just need to delete the following two lines from the DEHACKED lump:

Weapon 6 (F.U. Cannon)
Shooting frame = 999