1. 1. How many maps have you made?

• None
    • 1-10
    • 11-20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • More than 50

Time for another level editing poll, this time it's 'how many' instead of 'how often'. This is for DooM, DooM 2, Heretic and Hexen maps including source ports, DM maps and the ones that you never released - but not ones you made just to test certain features etc.

As for myself, I have made 68 (!) maps (including 3 unreleased maps and 4 maps for community megawads), which will become 100 when I finish my new project.

I've started many maps for Doom, Doom II, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Half-Life and the Doom III alpha; but I only ever finished about 4 or 5 of those. And I only have one left on my HD: a somewhat crappy deathmatch map for Q3. Too bad I don't have any of my Duke3D maps left... I was pretty proud of them at the time.

Oh well.

I'm going to guess I'm in the low teens now. Few of my maps are finished, but still... I've onlt been mapping for about 4-5 months now, so I'd probably have a lot more if I had been going at it from the start.

Lord FlatHead said:

Too bad I don't have any of my Duke3D maps left... I was pretty proud of them at the time.

Ditto. I used to have about 3-4 Duke maps that I'd work on in cycles. My friends and I would play Dukematch on them on my LAN, and I'd add a bit more to each level every few days so it would be a slightly different experience each time. :P

There were a couple of Doom/Doom2 maps back in 94/95. Crappy E2M2-style jobs that reflected a lack of architectural skill.

Since then i'm in the middle of a megawad. Apart from the other two i've made :

Portal of Hades
River Phlegethon
Lethe (Joint-built with Jay)
Depths of Cocytus (Joint-built with Jay)
Summit of Acheron
Valley of Styx
Cerebus Gates (Joint-built with Jay)
Palace of Hades
Olympian Base
Human Waste Project
Return to the Portal
Burial Crypt

Wakka!

1 and another one that I thought was decent that I never finished. If I had a host I'd link you to the wad.

finished? none!
attempted? maybe around 10. Most were when I didn't understand sectors and linedef numbers or whatever.
I am not really a good mapper anyway.

I made around 6 - 8 deathmatch maps, only half of them I considered good enough to be released. I made two 9 map episodes for Heretic, and I have already completed 8 of the 35 or so map wadfile for Hexen. So that would be somewhere in the low 30s.

I also made a Team Fortress map for Quake, but that doesn't count here.

I've created 1 map with a friend with the Duke Nukem editor.
That was the easiest editor I've ever worked with. We created a huge club full of lounge-areas, stripteasedancers, bars and we even had rotating lights. Cool huh? He deleted the map by the way, because his floppydisk was full and he needed to save something on that disk for school :/

Hmmm...when Im done, 35; So far Ive made one called Chaintelefrag (just a bunch of boxes that teleport to others, basically, its just a bunch of telefraging deathmatch) But I didnt release it; too many problems one including Im too lazy to figure how to submit Newstuff.
I made another one that just kept having dummy chars telefragging each other, fun fun. :D
And then theres my CC map.
then theres Punnie.wad, which is 32 levels, which Im still working on, solo. :D

So ya, I still have other things to do too, but thats in the future. :D

btw, these are all for Doom 2. :D

75 unfinished maps. Half are shit.
15 completed maps. 3 are shit.
16 'test' maps. (which ALL turn into full blown maps) 1 is complete shit.
2 released maps. Soon (hopefully) to be 3. Only the worthy are ever released. :)

You can tell I've got a nearly full HDD. :P

There should be an "I haven't a clue because I never kept track" option.

I'd say I've made somewhere between 10-30.

As for completed, I've made a couple of speedmaps. Do those count?
As for incomplete, I've been working on 1 map for...1.5 years. Another map I lost in a hard drive format.

6, all pretty shit. I've modded a lot of maps I downloaded off the net, usually just to fix horrible bugs and/or bits I thought were shit.

I hasten to add I don't distribute these modified files ever.

Russell_P said:

...and have another 5 or so in production.

this is why I am smiling. :)

I made about 15-20 maps. I've only released 3 though. The others are either hidden somewhere on my computer or just erased.

Easily over 50. I mean, come on...Kill already has like 21 or so done. And it had a bunch of maps that never went in. Add all the maps I did when I was much younger...damn, has to be at least over 100...

And just for the record (no one believes me, though), I technically started making "Doom 3" a few months before I started "Kill". So, about early '96. I just can't find my wads of it.

The real question should be 'How many QUALITY maps have you made'. After all, I could make a map a day, but they'd all be complete shite.

I think I've made about 14 in total. 4 of them are forever lost, 1 was an experiment in recreating a town which I never finished, 1 was released as The Unreleasables on Doom Center, 3 were in Doom Chronicles, 1 was a deathmatch map, 4 Doom Arcade maps (3 playable, one cutscene), and Space Station Omega. If I've made any others, I don't remember, and I wouldn't have them anymore anyway.

Over 100.

Most are near-complete as well, yet they suffer from the usual case of the final 5% of a project taking 95% of the time put into it.

Russell_P said:

The real question should be 'How many QUALITY maps have you made'. After all, I could make a map a day, but they'd all be complete shite.

Around 5 quality maps. Two I released (1 actually, other's still in BETA TESTING*)

*Hint hint. :)

I've only created and released one Doom map so far, and I have 4-5 that I'm presently working on. All are for my megawad (see sig). I find it far easier to continuously edit when you have several maps to work on, especially if they're different themes. That way if you get sick of a map or theme there's always another one. The drawback is that the development time for a single map usually takes a much longer time.