Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
maxspeed

Caverns of Darkness and W2k

Hi,
I have problems running Chaos Crews Caverns of Darkness, I'm using W2k so COD.exe does't work right. I was wondering if I can use other source port, but atleast both Prboom and Eternity give some errors 'unknown thing xxxx'. Is there a replacement for COD.exe that works with W2k?

Uh, no, ZDoom will not work. Caverns of Darkness uses a modified DOS version of the Eternity Engine. Currently, the regular Eternity Engine now has a Windows port. This won't work with COD, though, because it hasn't been modified in the same way the DOS version that comes with COD has. So, in conclusion, you'll have to wait until Joel Murdoch makes a Windows port of the COD engine, which would be based on the Windows version of the Eternity Engine.

James Haley had indirectly convinced me to hold off making the conversion until Eternity is more mature, then most of the effects I coded could be done with the advanced scripting and other features he has planned. This would mean COD could be run on any version of Eternity, whether it be version 4 or 10, without me having to recreate the engine with every update.

However, development of those features hasn't been proceeding as fast as I hoped. I'm going to revert to my original plan and hard code a customised version of Windows Eternity. Chris Lutz and Nokturnus created some of the best levels I've ever seen for this project; they deserve to be seen by everyone. Stay tuned.