Hiya.

Failed attept......................
            Booting Backup resperator..........
            Backup resperator up...............
            Backup resporator online...........
            Launching Backup resperator........
            Launch Successfull!................

:D

Aaaanyways, what I want to know is, what was your first Floppy disk game, and what was your favourite. (this is of course if you ever had any.) This can include the small 1mb ones, or those Gargantuous ones from a while ago. :D

I myself, first one was, Math Climbers I believe, for the little 1mb ones, didnt use the Big ones tho. My fave one was Lode Runner, that game was pimp, running around being chased by flesh eating Monks, yah! :D

Go go go! :D

I played Commander Keen a bit.. but not enough to understand... too young...

I really didn't get into computer games til I started MUDing..

Then there came Wolf and Doom...

It was some weird old game for the Commodore. Some game that ways way ahead of it's time where you fought true polygonal space ships...and this was around the time of Wolfenstein, so it was rather novel.

Not sure, probably Adventure (a text game), which came in a single 5.5" floppy, free with the IBM PC...

Oh ya, but I did once have Doom Shareware, Heretic Shareware, ROTT Shareware, OMF 2097 shareware on a boot disk once, again, it was one of them small ones. :D

My favorite back then (long ago on my dad's IBM PC) was Temple of Apshai.. I think I mentioned it on the "started it all" thread.

The first time I played DOOM was from the shareware on a set of floppies that my brother acquired in a supermarket or similar place for $3.

Commander Keen. The shareware came with my Gravis Gamepad.. hell when was that... 92, 93? I had no interest in it at first... I thought it was gonna be some Submarine Commander Game or something.

My dad was the original warezer, and had about 40 disks of copied C64 games. So I guess it would be one of the 200 or so games on those that was my first. Congo Bongo is the first I can remember...I think I was still in Connecticut when I first saw it.

Ct_red_pants said:

EVERY DISKETTE EVER MADE WAS FORGED BY SATAN HIMSELF FOR THE SOUL PURPOSE OF EATING MY IMPORTANT SYSTEM FILE BACKUPS.

Heh.. you think you have it bad... a faulty floppy almost failed me in my first year of college.

I had to hand in a final animation from Flash.. and thought I had.. but it had corrupted during it's disky travels.... and I was almost pulling out to go home for the summer...lucky he caught me.

I don't know the name of it, but the first one I've played was some kind of sixth grade math game back when I was 8 or 9. Another fun math game had a long vertical line on the left side of the screen with a single balloon hanging on it and a few numbers all up and down the line. The object was to guess the position of the balloon by inputting a fraction between the two numbers. Then a dart appears at that spot, and if you guess correctly...POP!

The first floppy game that I can fully remember was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text game. It came in a large box with a Don't Panic button, a small bag contining a microscopic space fleet (for attacking microscopic civilizations), a pair of Joo Janta 200 Super Chromatic Peril Sensitive sunglasses, and a couple of other things I can't remember.

I don't know, but the earliest game I remember owning and playing was Captain Comic. Me and my little sister used to control half of the keyboard each (one controlled the movement buttons, while the other controlled the action/attack buttons).

One of the best games to ever fit a single double density disk in uncompressed state is Prince of Persia.

I think the first would have been "Keen", followed by one of the "Duke" games. Both shareware from cover disks.

My fave, or at least the one which drew me in the most, would have been "Eye of the Beholder" though. It was on the network at work for some reason (along with "Tetris" and "Prince of Persia"). I zipped up a copy and took it home (bought it later, and EOB2 and the fatally flawed EOB3). I think EOB1 was on 3 720 floppies.

But then Wolf3D came along. Then, a little bit later, the same company made another game - "dome" or something - and I don't remember much after that.

Spear of Destiny was my first floppy game, iirc. Though, I guess my first computer games were actually on cartridges. But, in any case, Spear of Destiny is my favorite floppy game.

The earliest floppy disk game that I can recall is one where you enter your age, and it tells you how months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds old you are. I remember reading it asking me how old I was, and typing in 3.

But by far my favorite floppy disk game was Jenny's Journeys for the Apple II-G. Oh, there were lots of other great games, including long text-based adventures, text adventures with graphics, a number game where you tried to get to 100 (without going over) before the computer did either by selecting one of the revealed numbers, or one of the hidder numbers. The hidden numbers were usually much higher, but that ran the risk of going over. The 1 to 100 was laid in in two 10x10 block patterns. It was even a great 2-player game.

Oh, and how can I forget Moon Patrol? Also, Apple Horse Downs. Great betting horseracing game. Oh, and those number and letter memory games. One of the wath fraction games with the conveyer belt and anvil, that would jam up if you got the wrong answer... Oh, and that picnic with animals game... It's all coming back to me...

Jeez, they should really make these kinds of games nowodays.

Of course, you could start talking about pre floppy games ie tapes and stuff you got in magazines and had to type in the basic yourself...

Enjay said:

Of course, you could start talking about pre floppy games ie tapes and stuff you got in magazines and had to type in the basic yourself...

Basic? This mag I used to get for my C64 had games in it you typed by hand, but the weren't in Basic, this was hardcore hexadecimal! Rows and rows and rows of endless hex. But the games were sweet when they were done.

I used to get Basic games in my issues of 321 Contact, but thats before I knew wtf they were. Too bad I never saved any of those magazines... :/

Heh, it just so happens I've got some old issues of 3-2-1 Contact filed away. Of course they have BASIC games in them, but I've never bothered to try actually copying them. I suppose one limiting factor is the fact that I don't have a QBASIC interpreter.

Shadowcaster. I think it was on 5 floppies. They're fried by now. My house's foundation sits on a load of lodestone(rhyme!). Luckily, I still got a copy on my HDD. :)

Then it was DUNE. Yes, I used to have a copy; before my (ex)friend got pissed off at me (for no real reason) and magnetized my collection of disks. None survived. This was before we moved to my current house (with the uncomputerfriendly foundation) :(

I'm suprised my computers themselves dont up and blow up.