Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pickle965

Heretic Textures/Flats

I added the Heretic textures/flats to a DooM pwad with the DeepSea F7 lump menu, but they show up in inverted colors. I know it has something to do with the DooM palette limits or something. How do I get the heretic textures/flats to look normal in DooM w/o the DooM textures/flats getting all messed up?

Are you making Herian3? I hope it's better than the other 2.

Check Afterglow's texture pages, I think he had a set of Heretic textures prepared for DOOM.

Myk, I believe you're thinking of the Hexen 2 textures AG has on the page.

pickle965, this is what I'd do:

1) Create a new wad (e.g. httxdoom.wad)

2) Copy all the textures and flats from Heretic.wad to httxdoom.wad

3) Switch to Heretic.wad and save all the textures and flats as .bmps

4) Switch back to httxdoom.wad, and manually import the saved bmps over the top of each messed up texture.

One thing though: I use Wintex to do this stuff, though I'm assuming Deepsea automatically converts the palette of imported bmps.

If it doesn't, you'll either have to use Wintex, or go into PSP or Photoshop and load the Doom palette in each bmp (which unfortunately would take frickin' AGES).

I converted them all months ago, it was a pain :/ I beleive i still have the wad with the textures converted to the doom pallete. I would be happy to send it to you if it will help any.

pickle965 said:

I added the Heretic textures/flats to a DooM pwad with the DeepSea F7 lump menu, but they show up in inverted colors. I know it has something to do with the DooM palette limits or something. How do I get the heretic textures/flats to look normal in DooM w/o the DooM textures/flats getting all messed up?

I'm assuming you have DeePsea 11.7 and later [although much earlier versions worked too .. don't know when I broke it, but it was broken in 11.66].

Anyway, it's duck simple (and not a pain) to convert textures, sprites or flats from any of the other games to the DOOM palette. I'm assuming you are in the project that has the graphics to convert - in this case Heretic.

1. Press F7
2. Select DeePsea graphics editor
3. Export all Flats (or Textures or Sprites) into any new file.
4. Change to any DOOM type project.
5. Open the file made in 3.
6. Press F7
7. Select DeepSea graphics editor
8. Convert Flats (select button that says yours graphics are from Heretic - or appropriate game)
9. Save all (this converts the colors)

Sprites and Texture patches work exactly the same way. Be sure to move/add the appropriate control names or other steps as discussed in the help.

You can also do it by exporting as BMPs and all that (yes DeePsea converts colors automatically, but the above is a lot cleaner with only 1 file. Sometimes it's nice to export BMPs if you want to enhance, etc., so use the F7 - Export tool for that.