Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.66 (Jun 20, 2023)

7 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

If not for rotating and scaling, then what's the point?

IIRC it's more flexible w.r.t to having multiple texture WADs loaded at once - they're cumulative, while TEXTURESx/PNAMES, IIRC, only takes the last one loaded and ignores the rest.

Is there a way to enable the extended BEX/MBF/DHX dehacked functionality regardless of complevel? If not, I think it would be worth seriously considering. Having to get unrelated/unwanted MBF behaviors as a side effect of using the MBF dehacked stuff in PrBoom+ is less than great, and being able to get more vanilla behavior while still taking advantage of the modding extensions would be great.

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

Is there a way to enable the extended BEX/MBF/DHX dehacked functionality regardless of complevel? If not, I think it would be worth seriously considering.

Assuming the prior pull request to extend demo compat is accepted then that stuff could also be made into an extension leveraging the same code to detect its presence for demos, at least.

The actual specifications for the info are a little hidden on the github page. Would there be any objections to adding the barebones of this to the doom wikia, or is the specification for it still a work in progress?

9 minutes ago, Gradius said:

The actual specifications for the info are a little hidden on the github page. Would there be any objections to adding the barebones of this to the doom wikia, or is the specification for it still a work in progress?

You mean DoomWiki, right? :P

And as for DEHEXTRA (Assuming that's what you are referring to), ill be doing a write up for it very soon. I reckon by now its settled that the name of these extended states is as such.

1 hour ago, Gradius said:

doom wikia

there's no such thing; it doesn't exist

First because the only true and legitimate Doom Wiki is at DoomWiki.org, and secondly because the horrible digital sharecropping network has now usurped the name of "fandom"; presumably because of how tainted the "wikia" brand had become so they tried to shed the bad PR by changing their name -- but not their awful habits.

Is this where I complain about UMAPINFO weirdness? It's gonna be.

OK: Par times. They don't display in PRBoom+ 2.5.1.7um as compiled on the 11th of July; they do display in GZDoom but I'm not sure what relationship they're supposed to have with what's entered. Example:

MAP MAP01
{
    LevelName="The Artifact"
    LevelPic="BOB_ARTI"
    Next="MAP02"
    SkyTexture = "SKY1"
    EnterPic="RLINTPIC"
    ExitPic="RLINTPIC"
    Music="D_BOB01"
    ParTime=120
}

produces a par time of 1:10:00 in GZD. wha? Anyway pls make them appear in PRB+ so I can compare and see if it's GZD or me who sucks in this instance.

For reference the docs say this:

partime = "seconds"            ; Specifies the level's par time.

So I would have expected a par of 2 min. (using the "quotes" will crash the game regardless of port btw -- are there better, more up to date docs somewhere?).

Offending wad is here.

17 hours ago, dmdr said:

Anyway pls make them appear in PRB+ so I can compare and see if it's GZD or me who sucks in this instance.

Good catch. Boom hides par times for modified games unless DeHackEd has overwritten at least one.

The offending code is in wi_stuff.c:927

if (!(modifiedgame && !deh_pars) || (gamemission == pack_nerve && singleplayer))

One potential fix would be to show par times if umapinfo is loaded, like this for instance.

if (!(modifiedgame && !(deh_pars||umapinfo_loaded)) || (gamemission == pack_nerve && singleplayer))

A more accurate approach would set a flag for each map to show or hide the par time based on whether it was loaded from UMAPINFO or from a DeHackEd patch, but perhaps that's more than is necessary.

EDIT: If the maintainers are satisfied with the "quick and easy" approach above of displaying par times when umapinfo is loaded, I'm happy to create a PR for this. I could also put together the more nuanced approach but will require more code changes and a new data structure. If the maintainers prefer this approach that's fine also. I should be able to put something together.

Edited by JadingTsunami

Have there been any discussion about modifying MUSINFO functionality to include crossfading? This would allow implementing Quake-like area-specific ambient sounds with a reasonable amount of shorter tracks. It could also potentially allow to remove or minimize the switching delay that makes good synchronization difficult.

Edited by Da Werecat

There has been a LOT of stuff added since 2.5.1.7. Is there a release plan for 2.5.1.8? Probably https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/pull/107 is the most important piece in terms of what's still in review, but are there any other targets? It would be nice to have all the improvements from the past months in an official release build, especially stuff like the "new" mouse code :^)

Incidentally, I would recommend having a candidate build and putting it through a lot of demo recording and playback testing first, whenever that does happen.

Regarding that PR, I don't personally have enough knowledge about the implementation to answer the remaining question in the review (namely, why does it write the map lump name?) -- if anyone has any insight here, that would help a great deal.

8 minutes ago, kraflab said:

There has been a LOT of stuff added since 2.5.1.7. Is there a release plan for 2.5.1.8? Probably https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/pull/107 is the most important piece in terms of what's still in review, but are there any other targets? It would be nice to have all the improvements from the past months in an official release build, especially stuff like the "new" mouse code :^)

Incidentally, I would recommend having a candidate build and putting it through a lot of demo recording and playback testing first, whenever that does happen.

Am I and Never_Again a joke to you?

I think they mean more like an "official" point release, just to let a broader audience know "Hey, PRBoom+ is still getting updated, AND it's got new DEHACKED toys to play with." The MAPINFO and DEHEXTRA implementation is enough of a reason, I feel.

Lots of players wait for the stable release builds (as we've seen, some commits did introduce problems).

The only difference in my case at least is simply that there's no version bump, but otherwise they're 100% identical to what you get from Graf since we both use the same tools. They're not beta quality products.

I'm not sure what Never uses though, but can't be too different. So, if people don't want to use them just because they're not compiled by the man himself, well, then I think they're in for a loooooooooong wait. C'est la vie.

We definitely want to get that demo format PR in and tested before we do a 'stable' release of any sort. That's a critical thing that would otherwise hold this fork back from being accepted as a proper successor. Demo compat is sacred.

I don't know how Quasar handled demo compatibility when adding scripting or mapping extensions to Eternity but i'm pretty sure he didn't just straight up rip it out. That's a little concerning.

Hello, friends!

I'll be sorry in advance because I'm a huge noob when it comes to the inner workings of source ports, although I have had my fun with Doom modding as well, some time ago. But I was searching for a cool almost vanilla source port to play some wads again, and found out PrBoom Plus 2.5.1.4. I like it and wanted to use GlBoom+, and while searching if there were any updated versions I found this thread of this PrBoom fork. 

The 2016 PrBoom Plus 2.5.1.4 works ok for me, it's very smooth with very low input lag and stable framerates, but the shaders sector light mode doesn't work properly, don't know why. It should look somewhat like an emulated version of the software lighting but it just makes everything bland, and the gamma correction does nothing, it always stays on the same value, between 0~32 it changes nothing.

This PrBoom 2.5.1.7 (I've tried some of the versions you guys put out here in some replies) the sector light mode works properly for me, but the gameplay has this weird stutter and a slight noticeable input lag. Could you guys help me out?

Cheers!

8 hours ago, vdude said:

This PrBoom 2.5.1.7 (I've tried some of the versions you guys put out here in some replies) the sector light mode works properly for me, but the gameplay has this weird stutter and a slight noticeable input lag. Could you guys help me out?

There is the entire SDL2 migration between the current state and PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 from 2016. Could you please try the intermediate 2.5.1.5 release as well?

16 hours ago, fabian said:

There is the entire SDL2 migration between the current state and PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 from 2016. Could you please try the intermediate 2.5.1.5 release as well?

I did try the 2.5.1.5 and the issue was the same. The stutter isn't really bad, but it's there, it's regular but not constant. And only noticed when moving around the map. Demos run buttery fine. The input might be me noticing the effects of v-sync and not particularly a problem of the source port.

Anyway, I tried Never_Again's build and the problem is gone! 

When the Windows UI is scaled to anything above 100% PrBoom does not ignore the scaling setting (e.g. like Chocolate Doom does) so only a portion of the screen is rendered, starting from the lower leftmost corner. Any way to fix this in PrBoom's settings?

Edit: Nevermind, fixed this by changing the custom scaling settings in glboom-plus.exe's properties.

Edited by gotsu

I encountered some problems while trying to use some umapinfo files that have been created for Ancient Aliens, Eviternity and Valiant.

All the issues occur with the interbackdrop keys.

I am using glboomplus, 1920x1080, last build I could find this tread by Recca

I am comparing against running the mods in GZDoom 4.4.2, 1920x1080

• Ancient Aliens : The interbackdrop picture should be screen filling, but it is displayed tiled.
  • Eviternity : The interbackdrop flat is tiled much too small compared to how it is scaled in GZDoom
  • Valiant : The interbackdrop picture should be a screen filling image, but it is displaying a tiled red error message "No Texture"
    The error does not occur when I changie the picture to a flat (ALLBLAKF)

It looks like it desyncs on the intermission screen between e3m2 and e3m3, which hopefully makes it easier to track down the desync. Specifically there aren't use tics recorded here, so the inputs for e3m3 start during intermission. Bdubzzz said he may have hit escape on this intermission to grab a drink, so maybe that's something to look into.

I reproduced it with just the iwad. Hitting escape on the intermission screen seems to break demos - in particular the intermission screen keeps running for me while the menu is up, even though hitting escape is supposed to pause the game.

Since I didn't see any obvious commits in the history, I went and checked stable 2.5.1.7, and it has the problem. I then checked 2.5.1.5 and 2.5.1.4 and they are both broken as well!

To reproduce:

Exit map -> immediately hit escape -> let the tallies go -> hit escape and mash the use key to go through intermission and start the map

Is it possible no one has done this before in so many years?

Edit: here's a video of me recording a demo and then playing it back: 

Edited by kraflab

Considering that it was present even back when Andrey was still around, yes, very much so, a bug that went unnoticed and unfixed.

Or rather, not enough noticed it, I'm sure there's that one guy somewhere who noticed the problem but never reported it, that's almost always the case.

Sigh, this is exactly why bugs never get fixed, I remember some bugs I've seen in GZDoom that got fixed only recently even though some players knew of their existence for over a decade. Why they went unnoticed? Like I said, no-one bothered to report them, and blamed the port for being "unfaithful" instead...

1 hour ago, kraflab said:

Since I didn't see any obvious commits in the history, I went and checked stable 2.5.1.7, and it has the problem. I then checked 2.5.1.5 and 2.5.1.4 and they are both broken as well!

I'm not able to reproduce this. Can you post the demo with/without the desync?

1 hour ago, JadingTsunami said:

I'm not able to reproduce this. Can you post the demo with/without the desync?

Bdubzzz posted a demo above. Here's mine as well.

desync.zip

3 hours ago, kraflab said:

Bdubzzz posted a demo above. Here's mine as well.

desync.zip

Thanks. It looks like this is a known issue, even to the original EXE.

After examining the demo lumps I can reproduce this even using an unmodified version of the original Doom.

I think the advice would be not to access menus while recording demos. Doom's Pause button is functional during demo recording and is encoded into the demo lump. It can be used to pause the game if desired.