Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maxmanium

Adding new sector stops floor from rising in Vanilla ports

Hi all,

I'm at a loss here. I'm just starting on a map. At the beginning there is a spot with an SSG on it which rises to the next floor as soon as you step on it (linedef action 130):

Spoiler

Untitled.png.a256ed555db3c572449f8be861acde7b.png

But as soon as I add a sector in this spot, it stops working and just makes the noise:

Spoiler

Untitled.png.ed9bd76991fc59fae210fd23c7939c83.png

I've checked sector numbers and sidedefs -- I am absolutely stumped. I have no idea why it stops working. Any ideas?

Have you tried restarting the editor, adding the sector in a different editor, or changing the nodebuilder? My guess is that it's building the map incorrectly for some reason.

Puzzler for sure though :/

Bit hard to tell just from an editor screenshot, ideally post a wad.

I can say that if you split a tagged sector into multiple pieces (sectors) and use an action on them, they won't behave as a single piece but as separate pieces.  So they compute where to go (heightwise) independently of each other.

Here's a random guess: what's up with those barrels, are they meant to be crushed? Are their ceilings low enough to be inside the barrel already?

Edited by plums

57 minutes ago, andrewj said:

Bit hard to tell just from an editor screenshot, ideally post a wad.

Right, here:

glitchy.zip

53 minutes ago, plums said:

Here's a random guess: what's up with those barrels, are they meant to be crushed? Are their ceilings low enough to be inside the barrel already?

Nothing to do with the barrels. Not sure why they're there but they are.

17 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Nothing to do with the barrels. Not sure why they're there but they are.

Checked out your wad and yes it does. Give them +16 more headroom and the lift will work properly. I have no idea why this is but it's a thing I've found in vanilla maps before.

3 minutes ago, plums said:

Checked out your wad and yes it does. Give them +16 more headroom and the lift will work properly. I have no idea why this is but it's a thing I've found in vanilla maps before.

Wow, what the hell? That's so weird, I've never seen that before. I wonder why it wasn't a problem before a new sector was added...?

2 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Wow, what the hell? That's so weird, I've never seen that before. I wonder why it wasn't a problem before a new sector was added...?

Basically when some things (shootable things? anything?) clip into the ceiling then some moving sectors will not work, seemingly at random. Whatever the root cause is, changing the level can affect which sectors are affected -- maybe something to do with the BSP tree, or with the way sectors are enumerated? As far as I can tell it's just evil demon mapping magic, but I'm sure there's a proper explanation for it.

Just now, plums said:

Basically when some things (shootable things? anything?) clip into the ceiling then some moving sectors will not work, seemingly at random. Whatever the root cause is, changing the level can affect which sectors are affected -- maybe something to do with the BSP tree, or with the way sectors are enumerated? As far as I can tell it's just evil demon mapping magic, but I'm sure there's a proper explanation for it.

I just found out barrels have a height of 42, so yeah, the sectors were too short -- editor is misleading in regards to their size.

26 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

@fraggle -- do you know what causes this? (Out of curiosity.)

Most actions with moving floors will stop when an object is caught inside them. Only if the floor action specifies that it is crushing (55, 56, 65, 94) will the action continue. Linedef action 130 does not crush.

1 hour ago, Stabbey said:

Most actions with moving floors will stop when an object is caught inside them. Only if the floor action specifies that it is crushing (55, 56, 65, 94) will the action continue. Linedef action 130 does not crush.

But the tagged sector is completely unrelated to the other ones.

8 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

But the tagged sector is completely unrelated to the other ones.

Interestingly if you change the "stuck" moving sector action to one that crushes, the barrels all explode... one at a time. ???

14 minutes ago, plums said:

Interestingly if you change the "stuck" moving sector action to one that crushes, the barrels all explode... one at a time. ???

So some sort of oddity with the code that handles plats?

Edit: it's a chain reaction, it seems to only do it to the barrel closest to the plat.

7 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

So some sort of oddity with the code that handles plats?

Edit: it's a chain reaction, it seems to only do it to the barrel closest to the plat.

So only one barrel gets crushed? That's even weirder. Anyhow yeah must be something to do with the plats code but I can't follow it well enough to figure out what's happening.

This is a vanilla quirk that usually manifests in stuff not moving if you have two physically separate but joined sectors (for example when using a dummy sector) and a Thing is stuck in the bounding box of the two.

Here's how scifista explains it:

Now in the current map I don't really see the same situation, but it's most likely a related effect. So yeah, if in vanilla floors stop from moving as they should, always check for stuck Things and try to unstuck them, or if you're using a dummy sector, move it to a different location (adjusting the bounding box area.)