Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem: 2020 Edition - On Idgames!

Here is a new version of my map The Three Towers, the novelties that it has are mostly corrections of some node breaks, difficulty settings and a remodeling to the empty end zone of the map.

Spoiler

Changelog:

• A Rocket Launcher and a Plasma Rife have been added.
  • The Super Shotgun changed position, now it will be there in front of your eyes waiting for you to pick it up.
  • There was a balance in the difficulties (I changed position of some enemies, I eliminated others, more ammunition and more health).
  • A remodeling of the final area of the map was made (the area was extended a little and more enemies were added to compensate for the emptiness that existed before; in addition health and ammunition were added, of course, the exit of the map was also changed to a more striking site).
  • More decorations were added in empty areas.
  • Some changes were made in the environment (I re-textured the walls that obstruct the portal that sends you to the final area to emphasize where the exit is, I added some walls to avoid an early confrontation against the enemies of the Third tower, I did a couple more bridges for bridges rising out of lava, I put some signs on false doors, some invisible lines that enemies can't cross to avoid getting stuck at certain points on the map in addition to sticking some textures on places that they had incorrect textures or were simply missing a texture).
  • Fixed various node breaks on the map.

TheThreeTowers v1.1.rar

More reports mostly from MAP16-30 + from me playing some of the maps beyond in singleplayer. We still have MAP33-48 ahead of us on TNS.

MAP16
- It would be preferable to have the sp+dm shotgun (thing 25) at the start also appear in coop. There's a lengthy and boring explanation why so click the spoiler if you're interested in that.

In coop/survival any map-placed weapons stay permanently so you don't have to worry about a player not getting a gun. However, multiplayer-only weapons are often an issue in online multiplayer because mappers often place BFG/plasma rifle early in the mapset intended for 2-4 player coop or deathmatch which is then more than a little OP when the number of players in-game is 20. That's why on TNS (and other ZDaemon servers) we often blanket remove any mp-only weapons with this thing called PATCHINFO. This is again a problem if the original sp weapon is marked to not appear in coop - which is luckily rarely done but this is the reason to only use that flag for weapons meant to be dm-only if playing your map in online multiplayer is a possibility at all - and it almost always is!

Deathmatch is similar in this regard (in virtually all servers the weapons stay permanently) so you can also just remove the mp-only weapons (the 4 shotguns in this case) that are meant as a replacement.

MAP22
(Thanks to Flambeau for the reports for this map!)
- Big slime trails in 2 areas - around line 595 and around line 1724.

- Some really small and insignificant misaligns involving METAL on lines 701, 705, 1543, 1748 (there may be more but who cares).

MAP23
- I couldn't reproduce this HOM next to the 2 mancubi (things 74 and 230) so not sure how exactly it happens but my guess is that a lot of players + all the sector merging -> maybe someone blocking something caused this to happen?

MAP28
- It's possible to get stuck in the narrow area next to line 121.

MAP29
- Slime trail.

MAP41
- Some monsters don't teleport in. There seem to be 2 problems here:
1. Sector 18 (that has tag 14) has no teleport destination.
2. There was clearly some thought put into making extra teleporting lines to make the monsters teleport, however, the way the monster closets are constructed/placed coupled with the monster AI basically makes sure some monsters are never going to re-enter the teleporters they're supposed to. Easiest solution seems to be to just place the teleporting lines closer to the walls to ensure the monsters will cross the lines again after failing to teleport the first time.
- Some texture bleeding, it seems.

Edited by Keyboard_Doomer

31 minutes ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

MAP23

- I couldn't reproduce this HOM next to the 2 mancubi (things 74 and 230) so not sure how exactly it happens but my guess is that a lot of players + all the sector merging -> maybe someone blocking something caused this to happen?

Interesting, I think I've fixed it. My hypothesis for the HOM is that the lift sector was down at the same time the switch was pressed in that outdoor area, meaning the 'lowest floor' was lower than it otherwise would be, exposing the HOM. If it is this, then it would only be reproduceable in multiplayer.

Final version attached. I made a small tweak to a couple of the secrets at the same time

horus_20sectors_v_final.zip

We went through all maps on TNS now so I finally get to finish my report:

MAP35
- Really just a nitpick but it turns out it's quite confusing for players to figure out how to get the blue key.

MAP40
- Floating items (pic1, pic2) if you use one of the lifts (sectors 8 and 14). This is more glaring in ZDaemon since most servers use respawning items.

MAP42
- This seems to be 100% intentional (after all, what would be the point of the individual lines otherwise) but reporting just to be sure: lines 513-516 results in some texture bleeding.

MAP43
- The yellow key (thing 383) often ends up obscured by monster corpses because there's a teleport destination (thing 328) right on top of it. This has caused us some confusion and often will in online multiplayer.

MAP45
- Not sure why does this happen but it seems in ZDaemon right at the start of the map one of the voodoo dolls is killed by exploding barrels. The side effect is that this is going to kill anyone who joins very early.

MAP48
- Sector 6 is tagged to do 20% damage but for some reason this doesn't work. Since the areas the sector consists of are in death pits you're effectively stuck if you stand in that sector. This is a problem especially in online multiplayer because stuck players often go AFK and then can end up being the only ones alive.

1 hour ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

MAP42
- This seems to be 100% intentional (after all, what would be the point of the individual lines otherwise) but reporting just to be sure: lines 513-516 results in some texture bleeding.

My fault. There was more such lines, i've just missed those

1 hour ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

MAP45
- Not sure why does this happen but it seems in ZDaemon right at the start of the map one of the voodoo dolls is killed by exploding barrels. The side effect is that this is going to kill anyone who joins very early.

Voodoo dolls can be deleted, it won't break gameplay, but, to be honest, i can't imagine this map played in coop, and at some point players will be softlocked.

So i don't know what to do: delete dolls, so coop will work, but why?

Edit: just watched video. Well, at least some of you had fun :D

Edited by 4MaTC

Oh yeah, we skipped the map quite quickly, haha.

This really the kind of map that I would personally just exclude from maplist for any future sessions because it really is not meant for online multiplayer. Although, there are always masochists, so you never know who might actually enjoy the map in coop :D

No reason to delete the voodoo dolls just for ZDaemon. Waiting 1 second to join solves the issue anyway. I really just wonder what causes this. They are player 1 dolls so there should be no difference between singleplayer and multiplayer.

Fixed misaligned textures and (hopefully) slime trails. Additionally, I've added a small hint for the secret.

Let me know if slime trails are still present, I've tried my map several times and found none.

touchofevil-v3.zip

Rebuilt nodes, went slime trail hunting but could not eliminate everything (too much stuff at odd angles.) Made some other small QoL stuff, slowed down the sky and added a vertically seamless version of the SKINEDGE texture now that it's more easy to notice.

Download link.

Already?? It's only August. ;-) A break in tradition (but a positive one).

I've got this feeling of longing because this is over. Like when you read a good book, or watched a good movie. Story is over but i need more.

Looking forward to mayhem 2021

Congratulations to all of you.

Huge congrats on the release and thanks for having me part of this! :D

Congrats on the release. It's probably too late, but I made UMAPINFO file for this wad. It works with Doom Retro 3.6.1 and GZDoom 4.4.2. PrBoom-plus 2.5.1.7um has an episode selection bug.

UMAPINFO.zip

If one exists is it possible to get a download of the interpic without the logo on it for video thumbnails?

EDIT: I made one myself, though it may not be perfect.

INTERPIC.png.1242e0ecd49fc84d85db0c0b9fc92482.png

EDIT DEUX: Thumbnail Sample :)

CWILV00.png.33ad9f826e3c48767459ae438f35a0d2.png

Edited by guitardz

2 minutes ago, 4MaTC said:

@guitardzI'll download pic in an hour or so, or you can download wallpaper pic few pages back in this topic

I will look back a few pages and see what I see :)