Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DownloadTheseSweetViruses

Which Doom II enemy is worse than the arch-vile

8 minutes ago, guitardz said:

He's clearly just trying to boost his post count.  Going for that coveted Forum Spammer rank.

It's not that great. I used to have a real custom title once, but it got lost in the great forum transfer. 

@guitardz I think I'm actually pretty close to Forum spammer. Let's not get off topic, though. 

How about a chain Revenant. Sends missiles out at the rate of a chaingun, each of which follow you. Yes!

On 8/2/2020 at 5:42 PM, guitardz said:

He's clearly just trying to boost his post count.  Going for that coveted Forum Spammer rank.

On 8/2/2020 at 4:51 PM, Stabbey said:

Have you heard of [url=https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/noobs]Noobs.wad[/url]?

Learn how to multi-quote. It's the "+" button right next to "Quote". That way, you don't make 15 replies, spamming up the thread.

I'm not really going for that rank @guitardz I just didn't know how to multiquote up until know
and @Stabbey thanks for the advice

On 8/2/2020 at 7:11 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

@guitardz I think I'm actually pretty close to Forum spammer. Let's not get off topic, though. 

How about a chain Revenant. Sends missiles out at the rate of a chaingun, each of which follow you. Yes!

go to hell

Edited by DownloadTheseSweetViruses

You know what, I don't think anybody has said this yet, but I believe that the Mancubus might be my least favorite enemy. I never feel satisfaction killing them, since they can be taken out with 3 shots of a rocket launcher. Also, their attacks are bullshit. they seem so scary, then are so easy to dodge. Doom 2 uses them like they're minibosses, when rather, they are an annoyance. Some WADs use them well, though, but Doom 2 makes them more than they are.

18 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Doom 2 uses them like they're minibosses

They are mid tier monsters.

13 minutes ago, seed said:

They are mid tier monsters.

That's what he's saying. The game treats them like minibosses, when they can be easily killed with 3 rocket shots and have easily dodgeable attacks. Your comment just seemed rather rude for no reason.

7 minutes ago, Ant1 said:

That's what he's saying. The game treats them like minibosses, when they can be easily killed with 3 rocket shots and have easily dodgeable attacks. Your comment just seemed rather rude for no reason.

Huh??

@seed That's what I meant. They use them in Doom 2 like they are at the same level of an arachnotron, when they should be used like chain gunners. they are easier than ID wanted them to be, so that's why I hate them. 

The 'worst' enemy is the one that's placed improperly in the map.  Revenants, Archviles, Pain Elementals, and all the hitscanners aren't inherently bad in themselves provided the player knows how to deal with them sufficiently.

There's a difference between dealing with a chaingunner that's right around the corner of a wall vs him bunkered across the map sniping you.  Or fighting a Cyberdemon in a 1080 x 1080 room vs a 256 x 256 room.

20 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

You know what, I don't think anybody has said this yet, but I believe that the Mancubus might be my least favorite enemy. I never feel satisfaction killing them, since they can be taken out with 3 shots of a rocket launcher. Also, their attacks are bullshit. they seem so scary, then are so easy to dodge. Doom 2 uses them like they're minibosses, when rather, they are an annoyance. Some WADs use them well, though, but Doom 2 makes them more than they are.

seriously? Mancubuses have great "design" and they add a lot of fun to fights, i don't think they are easy when you need to dodge other shit as well, they are mid tiers as Seed said, so they pair well with other monsters, that's their only fault. Also they are beautiful and i would love to hug them.

I personally love every monster in the game (excluding gimmick ones), except when i am being masochistic and single segmenting, in that particular circumstance i may hate chaingunners during blind runs :)

6 hours ago, STILES said:

The 'worst' enemy is the one that's placed improperly in the map.  Revenants, Archviles, Pain Elementals, and all the hitscanners aren't inherently bad in themselves provided the player knows how to deal with them sufficiently.

There's a difference between dealing with a chaingunner that's right around the corner of a wall vs him bunkered across the map sniping you.  Or fighting a Cyberdemon in a 1080 x 1080 room vs a 256 x 256 room.

This person just dropped the smartest paragraph in existence. This will be preserved in the chad museum.

5 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:

seriously? Mancubuses have great "design" and they add a lot of fun to fights, i don't think they are easy when you need to dodge other shit as well, they are mid tiers as Seed said, so they pair well with other monsters, that's their only fault. Also they are beautiful and i would love to hug them.

I personally love every monster in the game (excluding gimmick ones), except when i am being masochistic and single segmenting, in that particular circumstance i may hate chaingunners during blind runs :)

I'm with ya. I'd rather face mancubi anywhere they are than deal with chaingunners that seem so far away from me, yet can take me down faster than they have any rights to be.

Honestly, the Schuutzstaffel in MAP31 and MAP32 are a huge let down. They were such a huge threat in Wolfenstein 3D and even in numbers in Doom 2 they're kind of a joke except for in UV Fast and Nightmare, so long as you can quickly mow them down and use cover to your advantage. They were just a really rushed conversion and if they had more time it would've been nice if their shots went through each other like in Wolfenstein 3D so they don't end up just killing each other instead of you.

2 minutes ago, Gregory Stephens said:

Honestly, the Schuutzstaffel in MAP31 and MAP32 are a huge let down. They were such a huge threat in Wolfenstein 3D and even in numbers in Doom 2 they're kind of a joke except for in UV Fast and Nightmare, so long as you can quickly mow them down and use cover to your advantage. They were just a really rushed conversion and if they had more time it would've been nice if their shots went through each other like in Wolfenstein 3D so they don't end up just killing each other instead of you.

Although they are just dollar store chaingunners in doom II. They are kind of a nice touch and make a cool reference.

@Gregory Stephens it was a nice reference, and if you didn't memorize the layout of the first level of Wolf (like a maniac), then they could surprise you. In map 32 they are just the worse, though. You just picked up a rocket launcher, and those secrets are obvious. 

17 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

The irony of your post contrasted with your choice of profile picture at this time is delicious.

I have to face my fears lol

*looks at thread title*

Nothing can be worse than an Archvile! They light you on FIRE, and if you're not careful, all your hardwork becomes for not when they start raising. 

... okay, but I have to say Pain Elementals are pretty bad too. All they do is puke Lost Souls, but it becomes a massive mess if you don't kill them first. 

Just now, Kokoro Hane said:

*looks at thread title*

Nothing can be worse than an Archvile! They light you on FIRE, and if you're not careful, all your hardwork becomes for not when they start raising. 

... okay, but I have to say Pain Elementals are pretty bad too. All they do is puke Lost Souls, but it becomes a massive mess if you don't kill them first. 

I have a bad memory with MAP10: Refueling Base when I used a rocket launcher against a pain elemental let me just say.... I'm glad I saved.

I hate chaingunners due to them being hitscanner assholes. Only good thing about them is that the regular shotgun can put them down with minimal fuss so you can grab their chaingun, but you'll want either rockets or a BFG for a whole roomful of them.

Revenants are tough to kill with your starter arsenal of pistol and shotgun, punch you into next week if you get too close, and fire heatseekers. A mass of these bonehead bastards in one room can ruin anybody's night, especially if they all launch those damned seekers.

I call the Pain Elementals "Pain in the Ass Elementals" with good reason -- not a fan of having to fight those flying skullbastards, especially if I'm trying to take on a mess of other enemies at the same time. I'd much rather fight the Cacos than those things.

As for the Viles...fuck them. Last thing you want (other than getting incinerated by their flame attack) is having the fuckers undo all your fine work.

For me it's two of them but only in special circumstances.

Chaingunners (those pricks) when they are too far away so your weapons can't reach them (often happens if they are far away and slightly elevated). You will just shoot the wall below them while the snipe the shit out of you.

Maps where I have to fight Cacodemons with only a shotgun (especially early in the map). Such a drain and super repetitive with no challenge whatsoever. Awful.

I think only the Cyberdemons are a higher threat than Archviles. The problem is that their attack pattern is totally different, so there may still be niches where the Archvile is more dangerous than the Cyberdemon. An Archvile kills you if you can't find a cover in time. This commonly happens in traps where more than one Archvile is released and it's too hard for you to find cover from all. A Cyberdemon kills you if you don't have enough room to dodge the explosions. It also has much more time than the Archvile to kill you. Cramped terrain will also give you trouble, or if you need to use low range weapons like the SSG or BFG against it.

Chaingunners and Revenants are a lesser threat than Archviles, as their attacks are either weaker or relatively avoidable. They're much more numerous instead. They're definitely more dangerous than Hell Knights, whose only power comes at close range (hence why they're often placed in cramped corridors).

On 7/31/2020 at 10:09 PM, ‹rd› said:

*Pain Elemental spits out Nazi*
I meaaan, it is a creature from hell after all...there had to be at least a few rummaging around somewhere in there

57 minutes ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

Pain Elemental is rarely difficult, but always annoying. It makes for a good priority enemy though.

Priority enemies = Arch-vile, Pain Elemental, in some situations Revenant, Chaingunner, in some situations Arachnotron, and the SM.