Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

Doom -1: A Doomworld Experiment

On 8/23/2020 at 1:11 PM, Rosh Fragger said:

MAP16 currently looks quite broken after being expanded. Doors, switches, teleport pads, and everything else has been stretched as well along with the actual map layout (caves, corridors etc.) The person who originally made MAP16 might have to revamp the entire map now and fix those stretched out doors, switches, teleports etc.

Hell no. I can't fix that map, I barely have any time now.

The map was supposed to be a claustrophobic, atmospherically creepy, plasma fun intended map.

Whoever broke it should fix it

reserving map 12, I can take a look at map 16 as well if nobody else wants to including yargsilvr and whoever decided to stretch it

4 minutes ago, CBM said:

reserving map 12, I can take a look at map 16 as well if nobody else wants to including yargsilvr and whoever decided to stretch it

just replace map16 with the pre-stretched version

I couldn't complete my MAP15 changes in time and I have to go somewhere for a while. So I'm going to keep MAP15 reserved for a few more hours. I actually pasted a few big portions of some other maps of mine so I need some more time with this map now to add progression and functionality to the new rooms.

23 minutes ago, KILLA DIO said:

just replace map16 with the pre-stretched version

what version would that be? I did not stretch it and have no knowledge of when it got stretched

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ar6qc7lvfkg5py9/NEGATIVEONE_v3.93.rar?dl=0

map 12 now modded to perfection

reserving map 16

I do not know what version is pre-stretched, but I will see what I can do with it 

I've looked at it.... oh god...

what I want to do to it..

- make it a bit brighter... zero light does not a pretty level make methinks, yes?

- keep its size but fix misaligned and missing textures

- add details

- add claustophobic areas?

- test it and make sure it can be completed

Edited by CBM

3 minutes ago, Elio AF said:

i know for a fact that v3.02 has a pre-broken version, but I think someone else edited after it. Still, the original is better than the current one

ok, I've looked at the thread and it seems captain toenail streched it

On 8/23/2020 at 12:21 AM, Captain Toenail said:

Ok not going to lie, the new Baron made me chuckle.

Going to reserve map16 for a while.

Edit: Done with map16 for now.

This map was very cramped and the textures were very gaudy and 90s looking.

What I have done is expand the entire map by 150%, raise all the ceilings by 64 units, and replace the textures with ones easier on the eye. Of course all the doors and alcoves are the wrong size now but these can be fixed in time.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/snziihvqa41mj7p/NEGATIVEONE_v3.75.wad.7z/file

so v3.74 should be the last version before it was streched

2 minutes ago, CBM said:

ok, I've looked at the thread and it seems captain toenail streched it

so v3.74 should be the last version before it was streched

cool, great job tracking it down!

i had v3.02 as the latest version after v3.93

1 minute ago, Elio AF said:

cool, great job tracking it down!

i had v3.02 as the latest version after v3.93

thanks. I will put it v.3.74 of map 16 in as the new version of the map and then reserve it to see if I can make improvements to it

2 minutes ago, KILLA DIO said:

gotta love people "fixing" an intentional design decision because they personally don't like it

gotta break it down to you, it was actually a design flaw

1 minute ago, KILLA DIO said:

gotta love people "fixing" an intentional design decision because they personally don't like it

well this is a community project and an intentional design decision could still be wrong.. I'll try to play the map from v.3.74 and if I also think it is too cramped then I WILL be changing that

1 minute ago, Elio AF said:

gotta break it down to you, it was actually a design flaw

sorry what are you referring to? I was talking about a map that was intentionally claustrophobic being made wider

2 minutes ago, CBM said:

well this is a community project and an intentional design decision could still be wrong.. I'll try to play the map from v.3.74 and if I also think it is too cramped then I WILL be changing that

i personally don't mind it being wider, but the ceiling 64 things really messed up with some of the map's gimmicks

2 minutes ago, KILLA DIO said:

sorry what are you referring to? I was talking about a map that was intentionally claustrophobic being made wider

i was referring to a blue skull that was made accessible by skipping some areas of the map. i'm guessing you don't play the maps here?

Chill out guys. Yes I did increase the size of map16. I know from experience player's generally do not enjoy super tight and dark maps, especially in multiplayer. 

Of course lots of doors and alcoves were broken when I stretched the map. I did mention these would need to be fixed... I got most of them however I'm not familiar wih the map so I know I missed a few. Nowhere did I imply that was a final product. We're still in the building phase... (speaking of, the deadline is fast approaching. Might be wise to start testing everything in PRBoom and sort out Thing placements)

Anyway I'll leave that map in your capable hands for now since the group consensus seems to prefer the original.

2 minutes ago, Captain Toenail said:

Chill out guys. Yes I did increase the size of map16. I know from experience player's generally do not enjoy super tight and dark maps, especially in multiplayer. 

Of course lots of doors and alcoves were broken when I stretched the map. I did mention these would need to be fixed... I got most of them however I'm not familiar wih the map so I know I missed a few. Nowhere did I imply that was a final product. We're still in the building phase... (speaking of, the deadline is fast approaching. Might be wise to start testing everything in PRBoom and sort out Thing placements)

Anyway I'll leave that map in your capable hands for now since the group consensus seems to prefer the original.

yeah sorry if our criticism is a bit harsh but the map was cramped on purpose and completely broke when you stretched it out

3 minutes ago, Captain Toenail said:

You did a nice job stretching out the map, even though the final product wasn't that great. The original is very cramped, I don't like it as well, but ig we should work from there

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WSufl1ygRMe0_fYKlKcdl1jqSrDq51ob/view?usp=sharing

MAP22

- Added a bit more detail and made a few texture tweaks in the starting room

- Added an alcove next to the first staircase, and moved the candlebra which kept getting in the player's way

- Slight tweaks the ash & blood pit in the second room

- More detail in one of the wood and metal rooms, and the corridors leading off it (I didn't have time to touch the other room)

- Made CBM's tech area a secret (though I just realised I forgot to apply the secret sector type, d'oh!)

- More detail in the marble courtyard with the warning stripes, changed the blood to lava, and also fixed (I think) the raising floors

I also added a handful of new WOODx textures, some of which are now used in this level.

Screenshots:

ziXDV1h.png

4XnHerC.png

gKJCvVG.png

Edited by NiGHTMARE

On MAP16...

I actually liked the small cramped design, it was cool.

On the Baron of Skipping Leg Day...

I don’t think it’s that bad, but it can be improved, just make the death animation thinner.

done with map 16 for now... can be completed... massively improved, lighting more correct, more ammo, more health, no more spectres, no more revenants, no more teleport trapping, still not perfect... may still have a weird error where the player gets stuck...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff9ang43py4mse1/NEGATIVEONE_v3.95.rar?dl=0

yikes.. seems we need a merge... would someboby merge map 16 in to the v3.95 made by nightmare?

btw i agree with attictelephone about map 16

43 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

On MAP16...

I actually liked the small cramped design, it was cool.

On the Baron of Skipping Leg Day...

I don’t think it’s that bad, but it can be improved, just make the death animation thinner.i

Edited by CBM

I invite you all to try improve the baron's death animation, I admit it was rushed because my pc crashed halfway through making them and I had to start over

Here is version 3.97

Map 4:

- I've added a yellow key and yellow key door that contains an exit.

- Rather than having lots of monsters in the main hall from the start, I let them teleport in, after players grab keys. I don't really like how it plays now, but may come up with a better solution later (or just revert it to its original concept).

Map 1:

- Added a backpack in the pinky demon room. This room was kinda optional and now you have a reason to visit it.

Map 2:

- Changed some rocket boxes with rockets in the final arena. I felt the player ended up with too many rockets at the end.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y2ygxivbw9k27p6/NEGATIVEONE_v3.97.rar/file