Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

If you had a time machine to go back in time, what would you change in the original DOOM?

I would expand techbases by adding additional textures/flats and props. 90s techbases using blue carpet hit my Doom nostalgia like nothing else so I'd want to add to that. Props involving Doom Marines would be great. I always found the dead Doom marine decoration really interesting because I never got a chance to play multiplayer. I'd warp to map30 and noclip to win so I could see the player sprite so it'd be cool to see it in other contexts.

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

For me, it's simple. If there's only one thing to change, get rid of infinite height.

Conceptually simple, perhaps, but I think the execution might delay the game a rather long time, and I dread to think how it would have run on low end 486s, let alone 386s. :)

My change would more one more monster in the registered version - a low HP flying monster with a roughly imp-level fireball attack.

42 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Add archviles to Doom 1

Doom 1 needs no Archviles. Taking them out with a shotgun would be a pain 

20 minutes ago, Capellan said:

Conceptually simple, perhaps, but I think the execution might delay the game a rather long time, and I dread to think how it would have run on low end 486s, let alone 386s. :)

Is it really so difficult and CPU intensive? On the Mac, Marathon 2 was aimed at PowerPC machines, but it ran fine on a 68040 @25Mhz, as I know from watching it run on an '040 Amiga emulating a Mac. ;) So far as I know, Marathon 2 had no infinite height, and on top of that, it had deep liquids with currents and all kinds of other cool tech. Don't like the game myself -- or any Bungie game -- but it was technologically more advanced than Doom.

1 hour ago, JXC said:

Doom 1 needs no Archviles. Taking them out with a shotgun would be a pain 

I wonder if there are any other weapons that could possibly be put to use ... 

Just now, Bridgeburner56 said:

Apparently, the SSG is the only viable weapon to fight viles with.

4 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Props involving Doom Marines would be great. I always found the dead Doom marine decoration really interesting because I never got a chance to play multiplayer. I'd warp to map30 and noclip to win so I could see the player sprite so it'd be cool to see it in other contexts.

Man, this reminds me of my pre-2001 dreaming of playing deathmatch online as a kid, lol. I think I searched "doom multiplayer" and "doom online" through Yahoo at least 100 times before I finally found Doom Connector, and the whole thing that got me pumped to try the game mode was downloading old DM wads and just wandering through the empty halls and adoring them in Single Player.

expand the amount of textures for walls and ceilings

unique sprites for each monster

4 hours ago, Steve D said:

Is it really so difficult and CPU intensive? On the Mac, Marathon 2 was aimed at PowerPC machines, but it ran fine on a 68040 @25Mhz, as I know from watching it run on an '040 Amiga emulating a Mac. ;) So far as I know, Marathon 2 had no infinite height, and on top of that, it had deep liquids with currents and all kinds of other cool tech. Don't like the game myself -- or any Bungie game -- but it was technologically more advanced than Doom.

Heretic had that and more only a year later. I'm guessing heretic had a bit heavier of a resource demand but I remember playing it as a wee lad within a year or 2 of release without having to shrink the screen or anything

I wouldn’t change a thing with the games that came out.

I just would try and mediate the issues going on within Id so the original team all stayed together and made MORE DooM games together :-D

I would steal the game's source code and release it, gaining all the praise and money for myself.

Now on a more serious note, i would add doom 2 enemies, guns and items in doom 1.

I guess the only change I'd make is add Hell Knights into the beastiary and replace (some of) the Barons in E2 with them.

Here's all i can think of:

- Weaker Low-Tier Enemies.

- Some of the Weapons use the same ideas that Duke3d did.

- Edgier Design to Medium-Tier Enemies.

- Doom 2016's Pinata system, And better Chainsaw.

- Add RNGs to Mass Effects (To make them look more Realistic)

- Stronger Pistol, With Infinite Ammo.

- Sprite Offsets are Hitboxes, They can be also rescaled.

- Lost Souls explode when they touch a Object. And Dash very fast.

- Barons' Design are different than Knights' Design.

- The Pain elementals are Weaker than the Arch-Vile.

- Doom 2 is named Ultimate Doom.

- Thy Flesh is a Doom 2 Expansion pack.

- Doom 1's Plot doesn't take place in Mars, But in Tei Tenga.

- The Unmaker is the BFG replacement in Doom 1.

- Plutonia and Tnt's Plot take place in Mars.

- Icon of sin is the Cyber Demon replacement, And the Cyber Demon replaces the Icon of Sin.

- Doom's Files are separated, Like this; (doom.wad, TILES001.wad, SOUNDS001.wad)

- John Romero created SMB, And Shigeru Miyamoto created Doom.

14 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

There are weapons in doom 1 beside pistol, shotgun and BFG? What? Are you playing a different game?

1 hour ago, HitBoi64 said:

- The Pain elementals are Weaker than the Arch-Vile.

They already are, at least in term of HP. Did you mean something else here?

14 hours ago, guitardz said:

Apparently, the SSG is the only viable weapon to fight viles with.

Just like the Shotgun was the only viable weapon to fight EVERYTHING in Doom.

Make it so Pain Elementals spit out Arch Viles, who in turn can resurrect one another.

having the meatier Doom 2 monsters in doom 1 would be pretty interesting. Certainly there's other weapons to fight them, but I think I'd find myself missing the SSG if you needed to save rockets or cells for something a bit more involved. Of course this is going to depend entirely on the level balance, so it can easily be a non-factor depending on how many rockets and cells the mapper puts in. I like the SSG though because it picks up the slack that the bullet weapons have in terms of power, even if it's not actually near as beefy as the heavier weapons.

dumb idea if I time traveled to when Doom 2 was in development: augment the chaingun with a minigun to also pick up the slack for the bullet weapons. Less accurate, no sniping, maybe fires 3 bullets per ammo point or something like thatnah it's a dumb idea.

Oh shit!

Going to the past?

I will not dare to change anything.

What if i tell them to change anything and then Romero release Daikatana and it become a great success and then he really make us his bitches?

No, thank you! I still want my ass virgin!

2 hours ago, HitBoi64 said:

- Some of the Weapons use the same ideas that Duke3d did.

I get what you mean, but there’s something you should know in case you don’t already... Duke Nukem copied the same basic formula for guns from Doom. All the basic styles of weapons are also present in DN3D. Please note that I am really bored and just feel like writing some stuff in relation to this topic, so I am not arguing against what you’ve said here: 

I’m not attempting to get OT, plus some of what I’m mentioning is pretty on topic I’d say, but if this is too OT then I will accept it being moved or deleted by mod. 

-Duke’s mighty boot is clearly intended as a jab at Doom fisting. It is just as humiliating to be kicked to death as it is to be fisted to death. You know how Doom has the berserk power up? Well, Duke has that too sort of for his boot. Take the roids and use the kick attack, it doubles the damage in a similar way to the berserk, but it doesn’t last longer than the roid effect. 

-The pistol is done better in DN3D, but not everyone plays with a pistol for long in Doom unless they’re deliberately doing so as a challenge, so many players don’t ever get to fully realize the true effectiveness of the Duke pistol if they try to play it like Doom. 

- The shotgun isn’t too different in function. Duke’s shotgun feels stronger than Doom’s, but I think this is partly to do with the graphics of the gun and the sound effect. I think in the code there truly isn’t that much difference in their damages, but enemy HP and all that is also different between the games so that also adds to it. It feels much more “real” I guess is a way to put it than the one in Doom, which I think helps it feel more punchy. 

-The chaingun in Doom deals the same damage as the pistol only with higher firing rate, and so does the Ripper chaingun. It just has a different sound effect (and ammo) which I think would’ve helped Doom’s chaingun feel like it had more power even if it technically did not. The feeling of more power is something that Wolfenstein 3D was very good at. Each weapon in Wolf 3D has the same RNG damage, but the different rate of fires and the different sound effect for each weapon, making one sound more powerful than the last, are what makes the difference in that game, and is also how you decide between conserving ammo or letting it rip! 

-Duke’s RPG isn’t really any different from Doom’s in the grand scheme of things, but Duke rockets can definitely blow shit up a little better than the Doom rockets. They’re faster and have a bigger splash attack, plus they can destroy things that aren’t enemies (Doom can do that too but not originally for things that weren’t monsters or the barrel and old user maps that had the ability to “destroy” walls usually could be done with any weapon, breaking the effect). Oh, and being able to shoot projectiles (actually you can shoot any gun this way) into teleporters so it teleports the bullets, pellets, rockets, you name it.... I think that would’ve been very useful in Doom DM just as much as it was for DN3D, and even DNF DM had this same effect IIRC. 

-The freezethrower is much like the plasma gun, and the BFG of Duke in my opinion is the Shrinker, not the devastator (if anything, the devastator is an rpg attack equivalent to the Doom chainsaw in terms of usefulness). Yeah, it has almost the same sort of effect in combat. You don’t want to be fragged by a BFG blast or the splash “funnel of death” damage, just like you don’t want to be hit directly with a shrink ray blast and getting stomped like a fly, or worse, getting yourself stuck somewhere where being normal size will crush you! The expander is essentially an “altfire” type of thing for the Shrinker but done in a way that they’re two separate weapons. 

The rest of the weapons from Duke are fairly iconic, but even the ones listed above are often the ones people choose as their favorites from the game. Pipe bomb and tripwire weapons found in other games are more than likely influenced by how they were seen in DN3D. The Devastator seems to be the weapon everyone never forgets the name of. So Duke definitely had some of its own weapon types that were not common place at the time. 

These weapon types I mention were in the game almost always from the very start, of course at first there wasn’t a shotgun and chaingun. Instead, Duke originally used a plasma cannon that had two firing modes. One was a spread (shotgun) attack, while the other was more like the Doom plasma gun but it felt more like a chaingun attack (the latter is able to be seen in Lameduke). So those were always there too one way or another. I’m not saying any of this like it was a bad thing, Duke still had a lot of innovative ideas, but even today you still see FPS games with this basic weapon formula from Doom put in place in one way or another is what I’m getting at here

. I think the reason can be broken down like this:

Spoiler

-melee: will either be used for fun or when the player is out of ammo. The chainsaw is just a “rapid” melee which can be done in many ways, like the “fists of fury” from SW. 

-handgun: it doesn’t really matter what handgun type it is. Almost every BUILD games approach was to make it a useful firearm throughout the ENTIRE game, but Doom’s approach is more like a “last resort” weapon, when you have nothing else. Modern games seem to still pick one or the other, or add multiple pistols. 
-spread: yeah I could say “shotgun” but it doesn’t necessarily need to be a shotgun in design. The main ability of this weapon is the spread attack. 
rapid fire: Newer games tend to make this one much different from the pistol in terms of attack, damage, etc. but again the main ability is the rapid firing hitscan.
Explosive projectile: rocket launchers, grenades, etc. usually these weapons can hurt the player if they get too close. 

rapid projectile: plasma gun, assault rifle, anything that will have a projectile attack that is rapid bursts, generally these weapons can stretch out long ranges. 
Special: BFG fits here, but guns like the Unmaker and things like that fit in this category as well. These guns can be called the “registered version seller”, but in a modern dev or modders case this weapon should be the biggest baddest gun in the game. If it’s underwhelming, it will be ignored. 

Following that model, you can essentially create your own weapons arsenal for a game or a mod without having to do much guess work. You will have the same basic formula as Doom to test your weapons. Once the bases are covered, you can go even further. 

Edited by Gerolf

On 8/24/2020 at 6:41 AM, seed said:

Also lol at the people saying the RNG should be removed altogether, good luck playing Doom for another 25 years without it. I think you're deliberately misunderstanding its impact upon replayability.

Most FPS have consistent damage and they're as replayable as ever; a few examples are Quake, Half-Life, Build Engine games, Hexen, and pretty much most good ones released during the 2000s and virtually all released nowadays. I think people overrate the impact of Doom's damage RNG. I assure you it'd be as replayable as ever without it, there's hundreds of examples of greatly replayable games with virtually no major RNG.

RNG is more realistic in my opinion. Have you not heard of people surviving direct buckshot blasts in real life, while others die immediately from a 22 or 9mm shot? It happens. It happens in Doom sometimes too. 

though doomguy wouldn’t use a 22, unless he just wanted to die that is. 

Allow textures higher than 128 for vanilla.

Flat alignment.

Give the Spider Mastermind the lowest pain chance in the game.

22 minutes ago, Tarnsman said:

Allow textures higher than 128 for vanilla.

Textures can be up to 512, Not 128.