Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

RAVEN MIDI Pack project - COMPLETE.

I was thinking today 'I should play Heretic to the end this time' then got reminded about this project. Guess I'll wait a bit! (Hexen + Deathkings sequel with optional CD quality version for authenticity when?)

10 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

optional CD quality version for authenticity when?)

ah

25 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

I was thinking today 'I should play Heretic to the end this time' then got reminded about this project. Guess I'll wait a bit! (Hexen + Deathkings sequel with optional CD quality version for authenticity when?)

I too am awaiting this.  I've never played through Heretic, but this + The Wayfarer's Tome are making it sound like a more interesting prospect.

Perhaps I could use the unassigned tracks for my eventual upcoming Zone 400 as MAP12-20 will be a medieval themed episode. I've also used Moldy Passages in Zone 400.

3 hours ago, pcorf said:

Perhaps I could use the unassigned tracks for my eventual upcoming Zone 400 as MAP12-20 will be a medieval themed episode. I've also used Moldy Passages in Zone 400.

As if you have not enough custom music for Doom...

Finally Heretic got some love again and its own Soundtrack - thanks to Jimmy and all other componists....

the mainstream doom apostles coming and trying to ... you know. It makes me angry a little bit.

If you are smart you only give custom music (composed under this "RAVEN" Midi Project) to heretic mods to push them in a good direction.

Thank you, Jimmy and all the others for this GREAT Project. I'm patiently waiting...

Edited by RetroK

4 hours ago, RetroK said:

the mainstream doom apostles coming and trying to ... you know. It makes me angry a little bit.

???

Happy that you're excited for the project, but I have no idea what you mean by this part. What is there to be angry about?

1 minute ago, RetroK said:

I'm sure you understood exactly what i meant.

Did you really just join this site so you could act edgy about the Doom establishment and tell composers what you think they should be allowed to do with their own music?

I'm sure you understood exactly what i meant.

I really did not. That's why I asked.

The phrase "mainstream doom apostles" has me very confused. Who is part of this group of people and what are they actually doing?

Above all, why the passive-aggression in my thread?

From what I can gather you're for some reason lamenting the fact that someone wants to use music composed for Heretic in a Doom project. Sorry but this is absolutely a non-issue. If that's not what you meant then guess we didn't understand you after all.

3 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

Did you really just join this site so you could act edgy about the Doom establishment and tell composers what you think they should be allowed to do with their own music?

Im not tell anybody, what to do! I only tell you what i think about it. We have very less stuff for heretic and hexen.

Snatching away this less content is a wonderful idea.

Snatching away means also: Where everybody talking about this custom doom_level.wad with this awesome music (you composed in the spirit of Schilder) in this level. If this Track is in an heretic_level.wad also ... it's a plagiat/copy (or nobody remember)

Maybe that will change.... year 2030.

When Heretic 3 or Hexen 3 come out.

I love doom also but... and i love you also.

Is this clear enough for you!

RetroK, I must admit I find it hard to read your English, but you seem worried about something that I don't think is a problem.

This MIDI Pack project exists because we're not just filling out Heretic's soundtrack, we're also creating a future resource for the community.

I want the tracks to get reused! It's been that way for the other MIDI Packs, too. Anything submitted for this is free to be used by others.

I don't have any say as to how they're reused, of course, but to be honest I'm fine with that.

The beauty of projects like this to me is that it's a resource made by the community for the community.  As a musician, it's still a heartwarming thing for me to see my music appearing in the maps people are making and it has been really interesting to see exactly what people do with them.

I didn't write Aorta for Sunder MAP32, but that map is beautifully constructed and suits that midi so well despite being completely different aesthetically to the map I actually made the track for.

this has always been a common thing with Doom and it's why imo we've seen such a diversity of themes in both maps and music for the game, including the use of Raven resources. I see this as an expansion of the art form that Doom is. Heretic has seen a resurgence in popularity lately but as of now it's still quite closely rooted to its original form. I'd love to see that diversity start to appear there too.

Sorry for my bad english! I'm coming from same country where Schwarzenegger was born :o)

It was only an appeal to the authors/composer to be smart what they do! Nothing more!

You have also the POWER to weight in.... to create popularity!

Love you guys! 

Edited by RetroK

@Jimmy Here are my two reworked tracks, with a more medieval sounding instrumentation. I've reduced the distortion guitars parts down to ornamental amounts, and I've dropped the overdrive guitar. I've kept the fingered bass on E5M9 as I've heard it in a couple of Schilder's Heretic tracks, hopefully it sounds appropriate.

Fantasy music isn't more forte so thanks for the assistance. Let me know if there's any further feedback. 

2 MIDIs v2.zip

Nice! Many thanks, dial-up. These are freakin' awesome.

Which means... the project is done??? In less than 4 months' time? Wow, guys. What a quick turnaround. You're all the best.

Is anyone interested in an mp3 version of this pack being available on bandcamp or the like? If so, I'd be happy to convert the midi files to audio (or you could send me your preferred audio version) and oversee this.

I've listened to about five tracks so far and there is some really amazing stuff here. I think it would be nice to be able to share it more widely, and I for one would like to have an mp3 copy of these tracks.

But, no problem if there's no appetite for this.

I'm fine with it assuming Jimmy is also okay with it for the midi we collaborated on. Any possibility for Spotify, too?

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:

Any possibility for Spotify, too?

Yip I could easily pop it on Spotify too

MY LIFE DREAM BECAME TRUE!

Time to play through some vanilla Heretic again after so many years!

Let's warm up my tuned-up OPL Synth Emulator and have some Synth Strings 1 delight.

Awesome. Now I can play it with some new tunes. AND HOPEFULLY ACTUALLY BEAT IT THIS TIME.

EDIT: Those extra tracks make me want a full episode 6

It's a rarity to see MIDIs that could fit so well in Heretic, the last one I can think of before this project began was Guardhouse, also by Jimmy. Hopefully there will be more in the future.

Congrats on the release and the efficient teamwork of all the composers. Thanks a lot for these masterpieces to make Heretic a much more enjoyable experience.

I think all the songs are just so fantastic. Great job to all who contributed to this project.

Best song was E5M7 hehe. E4M1 was one of my favorites. Nah, they were all equally as good.

8 hours ago, Hisymak said:

MY LIFE DREAM BECAME TRUE!

Time to play through some vanilla Heretic again after so many years!

Let's warm up my tuned-up OPL Synth Emulator and have some Synth Strings 1 delight.

Sound Canvas Synth Strings 1 is pretty good too. Esp the E2M1 song composed by Kevin. OPL raises the Synth Strings 1 by an octave.

On 8/28/2020 at 1:34 AM, dial-up said:

Is anyone interested in an mp3 version of this pack being available on bandcamp or the like?

Is anyone able to suggest an album title and contribute an album cover for this?