Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adam Oker

how can i make a source port for doom

To put it blunty, you need to know how to program (many ports have authors that learned by hacking on Doom, though!), in C or C++ depending on where you start from.

It's probably easiest to start from a base that already has good support for modern systems, like Chocolate Doom or GZDoom. Pick one, figure out how to compile it, and then start changing the source code files (*.c or *.cpp) to add features or change things.

1 hour ago, Adam Oker said:

hi,i want to make a doom source port but i dont know what to do,also wish language should i need?

Making a source port is not as easy as it sounds and it requires a certain level of fluency in programming, particularly around C.

Not by way of discouraging you, but i would suggest first looking at things you can achieve without source changes. Doom, throughout the years has gained a lot of support for scripting and what not, but the oldest thing you can start upon is DeHackEd and its DoomHack feature. This is some ways removed from actual source code, but learning DeHackEd will give you a better understanding of the internals of what you are dealing with in Vanilla, without directly going into the source.

1 hour ago, chungy said:

To put it blunty, you need to know how to program (many ports have authors that learned by hacking on Doom, though!), in C or C++ depending on where you start from.

It's probably easiest to start from a base that already has good support for modern systems, like Chocolate Doom or GZDoom. Pick one, figure out how to compile it, and then start changing the source code files (*.c or *.cpp) to add features or change things.

It could also be good to point to some reference and more educational kind of things:

• DIYDoom - A 20 chapter long tutorial that explains how the rendering engine works. A must.
  • MicroDoom - A Chocolate Doom fork that actually removes a lot of features and simplifies things so one can see what is going on. This may work well with DIYDoom since that also references Chocolate.
  • DJDoom - Reference implementation of the Doom Engine (Linux Doom) to Windows
  • Doom-It-Yourself - The original reference educational tool that is not SDL Doom or the original Linux Doom code. This is mostly for RISCOS, but is portable to most OSes under the sun.
  • DoomGeneric - A slimlined version of Doom to make it more easier portable, based on FBDoom, which in turn is a port of Doom to the Linux Framebuffer.

3 hours ago, Adam Oker said:

ok?

I didn't had the impression your desire for a port was very grounded in reality, but with this response, you are confirming that its a long time away before this desire becomes a reasonable one.

9 hours ago, Adam Oker said:

ok?

maybe you mistake source port with doom mod?

a source port is a program to run doom on modern PC, programs like Chocolate-Doom and GZDoom.

A doom mod is a modification that change the behaviour, the maps, graphics and other things, and is meant to be played on a source port.

I think OP was more curious rather than serious.

But, at any rate, you need to be sufficiently proficient in a programming language like C or C++, and know a lot about how the game works, starting from scratch would be a pain so your best bet, if at all serious, would be to fork an existing port and fiddle around with it in an IDE, add/remove stuff, that sort of thing, until you get something. Don't think of other, even more advanced aspects such as rendering at that stage since it'll lead you nowhere.

Alternatively, speaking of languages, if you don't like the C family, you could do it the m210 (of BuildGDX) style and port Doom to Java :p .

Basically, Adam, you've got a LOT of homework ahead of you. Luckily you've come to the right place as the community has been programming and re-programming Doom's source code for the past 20 years, so you'll find a wealth of information here. We've even got an entire subforum dedicated to all things sourceport-related with most of the major ports and their functions spoken about very frequently, so I'd start there.  

There are few things in life like making a half-assed/hearted foray into a new hobby/endeavour/business etc. ...and showing it. Badly.

14 hours ago, Maes said:

There are few things in life like making a half-assed/hearted foray into a new hobby/endeavour/business etc. ...and showing it. Badly.

Wow, the OP is probably just a kid and Maes has to pile on with more abuse.

Do you treat your own nieces and nephews like that?

13 hours ago, andrewj said:

Do you treat your own nieces and nephews like that?

I once was eating ice cream in front of my nieces and nephews, while their parents had told them they could have none. I also told them "Yeah, listen to your parents, kids". Builds character.

6 minutes ago, Maes said:

I once was eating ice cream in front of my nieces and nephews...

This is one of those times where your title applies perfectly to your statement. 

image.png.2e70a3c1bb561aa8b19a77f62a2abecf.png

LoL

3 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

This is one of those times where your title applies perfectly to your statement. 

image.png.2e70a3c1bb561aa8b19a77f62a2abecf.png

LoL

"Here's an old post I made on the subject, I have a juicy ass" indeed.

i  made already  made a simple port with a new cheat...

The Only Problem:

any compiler i use is giving errors,wish one should i use (32 bit,windows)

You need to give a little more information about what you did.

What code did you use as a base?

What compiler did you use?

What error did you get?

i used TDM-GCC as a compiler,And I Get A Lot Of errors,most of  these  errors are just unknown file or location...i  didn't messed up with the source  code,i just added a little bit of stuff

You need to post more specifics to get some help. Once we get compilation working, then you can start making new cheats and anything else.

Please detail the source port you're starting from, what you have tried, and exact text (or screenshot) copies of the errors you are getting.

3 hours ago, Adam Oker said:

ok

Chungy just asked you to give more specifics. Simply stating ''Ok'' is not going to cut it - you need to elaborate beyond sending a affirmation. Explain. Elaborate.

With the way this is going and the few responses of you that are more than just ''Ok'', i have to ask: What is your native language/mothertongue?

2 hours ago, UndeadRyker said:

Adam "Ok"er, a mythical being that only responds or is inquisitive with the word "ok" once asked to elaborate/clarify something, or when given an answer. Fascinating! :D

That threw me off for a second, but that is some mighty fine sharp thinking right there :P

29 minutes ago, N1ck said:

This thread is killing me. Chungy and Redneckerz just write detailed answers about where to start and then are completely annihilated by "ok?". This is just a murder scene.

If you are also affected by the ''ok'' to a degree of it slowly diminishing your being, perhaps we need to call the cops :P