Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

A New Romero Megawad?! Not official... yet.

Oh, yes! John mentioned in his Q/A for Sigil that he still keeps in contact with American McGee and Tom Hall. Also John Carmack, but not as much. It'd be cool if some of them came together, though I doubt that would happen.

Besides, apart from Romero I doubt any of the original id squad still knows how to handle Doom's modding tools, they'd basically have to relearn everything from scratch.

I understand why some people keep dreaming of such a project, but the reality is that it just won't be good if it ever gets made. Call Randy Pitchford a jerk all you want, rightfully so, but he did at least try doing this with World Tour by getting back the original gang, and well, look at the final product, it didn't turn out good, did it now?

It's just like musicians trying to make new music after decades of not being involved in the process or not touching the instruments since primordial times. It won't be good.

59 minutes ago, seed said:

Besides, apart from Romero I doubt any of the original id squad still knows how to handle Doom's modding tools, they'd basically have to relearn everything from scratch.

I understand why some people keep dreaming of such a project, but the reality is that it just won't be good if it ever gets made. Call Randy Pitchford a jerk all you want, rightfully so, but he did at least try doing this with World Tour by getting back the original gang, and well, look at the final product, it didn't turn out good, did it now?

It's just like musicians trying to make new music after decades of not being involved in the process or not touching the instruments since primordial times. It won't be good.

That's a good point, seen it happen many times before. Which can then destroy their much vaunted status among fans.

In that light, Romero could be seen as an exception to the rule.

13 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Oh, yes! John mentioned in his Q/A for Sigil that he still keeps in contact with American McGee and Tom Hall. Also John Carmack, but not as much. It'd be cool if some of them came together, though I doubt that would happen.

I would very much like to see some sort of panel at a convention or even Quakecon with that original team for DOOM's 30th.

I've hoped for years that the original team would get together at a house in Texas and have Carmack write a new port, limit-removing vanilla, nice and simple. Then they'd develop Doom III with a new gun, a few new monsters and some new textures. Then do a mail-order physical release on CDROM or floppies, or even a flash drive in a nice big box.

I think it would be awesome if they looked at our tuned up versions of Doom 2 maps, and remade the entire Doom 2 IWAD as a PWAD of their own maps tuned up with new stuff.  So it would be Doom 2 again, by the same people who made the original.

@seed This is why I think it'd be more realistic for Romero to reach out to the community and invite some of our top mappers to help. That's if the madman doesn't decide to build the megaWAD by himself should he go down that particular route.

1 hour ago, RottingZombie said:

COOL IDEA

That's a great idea. And I would literally explode if it happened. Hopefully, another ID member other than Romero will release a WAD. 

@Biodegradable He did use Jimmy for music in his last MegaWAD, so maybe he'll use him (and hopefully Xaser)

You know how for Mario's 30th anniversary, they did that Luigi year thing? Maybe for DOOM's 30th, they'll do the year of the DOOMICORN. LoLimage.png.2f313643c262c8f215303ddd86a11c32.png

If John Romero is making a new wad, I'm hyped no matter how long it takes. I'm just hyped whenever he makes new wads lol. I remember back when he dropped those 2 extra levels, I was like to my bro "JOHN ROMERO RELEASED SOMETHING FOR DOOM!!!!!!" lol. And I still haven't completed SIGIL (damn it's hard lol), but I love the map design and everything. So if he's cooking up more wads..... much excite. Even if it takes years, I'll definitely be fangirling if/when it gets officially announced. 

SIGIL was really fun and refreshing.

I hope it's for Doom 2 and it has the same "feel"

I wonder how a sequel to doom 2 will be like, a map where you battle demons on a city under construction sounds like an interesting concept.

I love everybody's ideas! hopefully, Romero releases this before Empire of Sin. He's been awfully quiet about it.

Awesome! I 'm really looking forward to it. I'm gonna have to generate a new wadsmooshed iwad (when JP gets around to updating it with this new one).

On 8/29/2020 at 9:34 AM, P41R47 said:

Probably a Romewad, so instead of 32 maps, we will have 16 solo maps, and maybe 16 deathmatch arenas.

Actually that seems like an exciting proposition. I'd be interested in seeing some new deathmatch maps from such an OG deathmatcher as himself.

EDIT: Just found out that sigil came with deathmatch maps. I feel a little silly for not having known that.

Edited by Xerenogan : new info

I'm not interested in new Romero wads any more as my tastes have grown too advanced for such child's play. I lust for one returning dev only...the dark lord Sandy, to summon his legions of brown cubes, ledges and barrels stretching into infinity, consuming all, the worthy and unworthy alike.

1 hour ago, BoxY said:

I'm not interested in new Romero wads any more as my tastes have grown too advanced for such child's play

I sure hope you've already played Sigil before you wrote this or you're going to look awfully silly. ;^)

Edited by Biodegradable

I'd imagine that it'd be for Doom II, since IIRC he said that was going to more or less be the presumption depending on how well SIGIL did (and it did pretty darned well).

Would actually be interesting to see what else Romero can put out with it and how else he'd play with its bestiary, since of course, he only got to do relatively few maps in Doom II (MAP11, MAP15, MAP17, the excellent MAP20, MAP26, MAP29.)

Exciting, the world really needs more than six Romero-authored Doom 2 maps, so I hope that's the direction he's going in. I enjoyed Sigil, which really grew on me after a while, and which has a great unified visual/gameplay aesthetic.

It would be interesting to see how a Doom 2 project might push Romero out of his comfort zone(s)--as much as I enjoy his Doom work, most of it feels like variations on his KDitD techbase style and his E4M2 tricky-combat-above-pervasive-hurtfloor style. He's gotten a lot of mileage out of those two approaches, but it would be cool to see him take things in a different direction. Although somewhat less loved than MAP11 and MAP29 (which presage that E4M2/Sigil style, to me), I think there's some interesting stuff stylistically in MAP15 especially, and it would be cool to see Romero take on some more abstract urban settings unhindered by vanilla limits.