Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noigs2015

Running a WAD... without Source Port.

Question

Heya! I have a little question. Is it possible to do a WAD that runs itself? (Ex: I just double click it like a program and it runs) Like Grezzo. I want to do a little experiment, but I wondered if there's a way to run it that way, to share it with my non-doomers friends lmao. (I'm using GZDoom builder and Slade... most Doom Builder XD)

9 answers to this question

On 8/10/2020 at 5:48 PM, noigs2015 said:

Heya! I have a little question. Is it possible to do a WAD that runs itself? (Ex: I just double click it like a program and it runs) Like Grezzo. I want to do a little experiment, but I wondered if there's a way to run it that way, to share it with my non-doomers friends lmao. (I'm using GZDoom builder and Slade... most Doom Builder XD)

Just ship it with a batch file that'll run it if they extract it in their root folder

On 8/13/2020 at 2:58 PM, TheHambourgeois said:

Just ship it with a batch file that'll run it if they extract it in their root folder

That still will require something more assuming Windows, like DOSBox. 

19 hours ago, noigs2015 said:

Sorry if I'm a little lost, but, how can I do that?

PD: sorry for not seeing this, I had sh*t to do XD.

Grezzo 2 uses G2.exe, which is a renamed Skulltag 98d. Some WADS included a preconfigured or renamed source port. Skulltag, which is used by G2.exe, is a source port. I found this novel enough to include on its Wiki entry.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:30 AM, noigs2015 said:

Man, I tried this and ...

Shit that's still more complicated than the batch files I use to start my wads.

If everything is in the same folder you can get away with something only a single line, like:

Gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file yourlevel.wad/pk3

Put that text in a file and name it something like yourlevel.bat and you're good to go.

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Wads aren't executable code, so no of course not. 

Sh*et, Welp, Thank you.

On 8/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, TheHambourgeois said:

Sorry if I'm a little lost, but, how can I do that?

PD: sorry for not seeing this, I had sh*t to do XD.

On 8/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, TheHambourgeois said:

Man, I tried this and f*ching works (I had to investigate a lot and it was very simple lmao) Thank you a lot.

Here I leave the example of the Batch for those noobs like me (I have Windows 10 and I now it works in any Windows, don't know about other O.S.): In a normal NotePad write:

Spoiler

@echo off
	cd "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\Foldah.of.da.brudah\Doom\GZDoom2"
		start gzdoom.exe DOOM2.wad

The "@echo off" line is because this will be executed like a command with CMD, and if you don't put it, it will appear the black window making fastly the process, is optional, like make the command run cleanly XD. Then hit Enter to the next line.

You should make sure to have the Source Port and wads in the same folder.

If this batch will be in the same folder of the Source Port and stuff, this whole next line is unnecesary, and you can just jump to the next step. If your Source Port and wads will be in other folder (And please put them all in the same folder for this), you must search it, right click it and select Properties, and it will show you the Location, copy it. Go to the NotePad and write "cd" that means "Change Directory", this will basically change the location where the files that it will search are, and then put a Space and paste the location of the source port. If the folders of destination have spaces in the names, put double quotes in the direction like the example, if it has not, they aren't necessary, then hit Enter to the next line.

Then type "Start", that is the command that will... well it's obvious. But that's the command.

After it put a Space and type the name of the executable of the source port you will use with it extension. In my case: gzdoom.exe and the Source Port will run itself. Now the part I wanted, the wads and mods. Just hit another Space and type the name of the wad or even the pk3/pk7 you want to run. It could be how many you want, all separated by spaces. like this:

Spoiler

@echo off
cd "C:\Users\PC\Desktop\Foldah.of.da.brudah\Doom\GZDoom2"
start gzdoom.exe DOOM2.wad EOA_Code.pk3 EOA_Assets.pk3 GoldenSouls_Full_1.4.pk3

Obviously, you must put the IWAD you want, and then the mods. Remember always to put the extensions (.wad or .pk3)

In this case, it's Golden Souls with Embers of Armageddon characteristics.

And last, but not least, A little suggestion, Try to type the order of the mods in a certain one, the basic IWAD always first, and then the mods, and the mod you really want to play at the last one. Believe me, my custom map didn't run properly until I putted it name in the last part.

Anyways, thank you for your support. Specially you, Hambourgeois.

Edited by noigs2015 : Include the code to make Wads run automatically and how to make it

10 hours ago, TheHambourgeois said:

Shit that's still more complicated than the batch files I use to start my wads.

If everything is in the same folder you can get away with something only a single line, like:

Put that text in a file and name it something like yourlevel.bat and you're good to go.

Thanks man.

@noigs2015

See attached. One batch file will run your file in wad format; the other will run it in pk3 format. All you need to do is insert your wad/pk3 name into each batch file. [To edit a file, right-click on it and select "Edit" from the drop-down menu. It will open the batch file in a text editor (such as MS Notepad), where you can make your changes.]

The user simply needs to double-click on the relevant batch file to run your wad/pk3.

BatchFile.zip