Find results in...
DoomGuyFeetus

Good Doom SourcePorts i could try?

6 minutes ago, DoomGuyFeetus said:

Good And Stable Sourceports that i can use for single player doom

Here you go.

Protips:

• Crispy Doom (For that little extra)
  • Chocolate Doom (For that little Vanilla)
  • Woof (If you like Dogs)
  • GZDoom (For that spicy salsa)
  • K8Vavoom (For that weird flex banana)

Basically Crispy Doom.

Bonus question: What had you found yourself prior to asking this?

12 minutes ago, DoomGuyFeetus said:

GZDoom if you want to mod doom to its max

Zdoom for those older wads that use mods?

Crispy doom for a crispy and faithful doom port

PrBoom+ for wads in general?

Take this with a grain of salt, its up to you.

Final notes: gzdoom is awesome i recommend using it.

GZDoom is a good and very popular sourceport to use. If you have a lower end computer that may not be able to run newer GZDooms, you could also try LZDoom (I've been using that as of late for my laptop) which is kind of like an inbetween of GZDoom and ZDoom I guess. 

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Here you go.

Protips:

Basically Crispy Doom.

i have found zdoom prboom+ vavoom 3DGE qzdoom eternity engine odamex zdaemon zandronum thx for asking

7 hours ago, CyberDestroyer said:

GZDoom if you want to mod doom to its max

Zdoom for those older wads that use mods?

Crispy doom for a crispy and faithful doom port

PrBoom+ for wads in general?

Take this with a grain of salt, its up to you.

Final notes: gzdoom is awesome i recommend using it.

thx

31 minutes ago, Kokoro Hane said:

GZDoom is a good and very popular sourceport to use. If you have a lower end computer that may not be able to run newer GZDooms, you could also try LZDoom (I've been using that as of late for my laptop) which is kind of like an inbetween of GZDoom and ZDoom I guess. 

What'd LZDoom like in terms of compatibility?

1 hour ago, DoomGuyFeetus said:

36 minutes ago, DoomGuyFeetus said:

i have found zdoom prboom+ vavoom 3DGE qzdoom eternity engine odamex zdaemon zandronum thx for asking

All the source ports you found and the ones that the other members recommend you are stables.

Problem is that, if you have a low end PC, there are certain sourceports that will demand more than what your PC could handle.

For example, GZDoom needs a really good PC to work properly if you want to play mods, but runs fine-ish for just Ultimate Doom, Doom2, and Final Doom.

If GZDoom is still too demanding, try LZDoom, its a source port specifically made for low-end PC.

And now the ugly truth, if LZDoom is still too demanding (slowdowns when you play, for example), you will have to discard playing mods and just play

the base game, and new mapsets up to Boom/MDF compatible.

For that case, i recommend you my favourite source port: Doom Retro.

It is designed to play without problem most mapsets up to Boom/MBF compatible, and adds a few nice visual enhancements.

13 minutes ago, NoXion said:

LZDoom is GZDoom for low end PCs, so it is exactly the same in terms of compatibility.

Now if you are talking about minimum system requirements... well, i can't say for sure. I have a AMD A10 with 4gb ram, no extra Graphic card, and it plays cool, but without visual effects at all on maps like Eviternity map15.
Winter's Fury for me is unplayable even with LZDoom.

But strangely, Winter's Fury runs smooth and without any problem on an older build of GZDoom (v1.8 to v2.4).

So its not about optimization, most new features of GZDoom (and LZDoom) are really demanding, and sustaining them together is demanding as hell, even if the mod is not using them.

Take this with a grain of salt, as i don't really have any knowledge to talk about programing handling.
Its just my experience with those source ports.

50 minutes ago, NoXion said:

For the most part in my personal experience, it works with most things you'd run on GZDoom. It's basically like GZDoom but with a little less features so it can run on lower end PCs. With that said, there may be some wads or mods that may not work the best on it (or at all), but for the most part it's handled very well. I'm not really an expert on it, but using it has allowed me to play some wads without any chopping and keeping it at my screen's res on my laptop.

GZDoom is the more popular, but personally, I'd recommend checking out Crispy Doom for a better single-player experience. It's more simple, and limit-removing: so you can play most wads. And it looks more "authentic" if that makes sense.

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Here you go.

Protips:

Basically Crispy Doom.

Im gonna answer the bonus question if thats alright.

I would have found gzdoom.

1 hour ago, Hypnotik said:

GZDoom is the more popular, but personally, I'd recommend checking out Crispy Doom for a better single-player experience. It's more simple, and limit-removing: so you can play most wads. And it looks more "authentic" if that makes sense.

It doesn't just look more authentic, it plays more authentic too. Same with PrBoom+, which is my favorite port. I'm not too familiar with the details, but basically the physics and AI in PrBoom+ (and Crispy Doom) are more similar to vanilla Doom, especially if the complevel is set correctly. That's why it can run old vanilla demos.

• GZDoom - All-purpose Dooming, suitable for playing in general and for 99% mods out there. (Recommended)
  • LZDoom - GZDoom but more tailored towards weaker PCs. Suitable for running 80-90% mods.
  • PRBoom+ - Vanilla-authentic gameplay; is very lightweight; suitable for speedrunning purposes, low-end Dooming and playing certain maps that might not run well on G/LZDoom. (Recommended)
  • Eternity - Same as above, but not that lightweight and have modding and in-game settings/capabilities as powerful as GZDoom.
  • Crispy - Even more vanilla-authentic as other people have said above; with uncapped framerate and chunky 320p-like rendering. (Recommended)
  • Retro - PRBoom + Eternity + Crispy basically. Has many in-game options to tweak, is generally vanilla-authentic (not as Crispy/PRBoom, but better than GZDoom), and have partially medium modding capabilities.

Finding the right sourceport is all about figuring out your ideal Dooming experience. Here's a couple of videos by Dwars that helps sum up the most popular ports and the features they offer to help get you started.

8 hours ago, Hypnotik said:

I think other ports feel more authentic mainly due to the ZDoom PRNG. That makes weapons do less damage and you take also less. Some people complained about the supershotgun in DM but it's way more important in SP and specially noticeable with the shotgun and chaingun, usually you should kill an imp with a shot. As soon as you disable it you start "missing" shots and for me that makes the game dull. Just try the latest LZDoom devbuild with compat_oldrandom 1. It's intended for "vanilla" play and not mods (but it shouldn't break mods). I've backported it to the old branch too (initially from Zandro and then @Edward850's branch).

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/lzdoom/

About compatibility it was very high in the old branch AFAIK, if not you should have made more bug reports. There are at least a couple of mods i know they don't run since they use the new font sheets. The new branch should be fully compatible but it's based on modern GZDoom and SoftPoly.

For me I prefer vanilla 100% than anothers, if you'll play doom at least do it look like vanilla, that is my philosophy.

Vanilla Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom EXEs for DOS(Box)

Here's the vanilla Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom EXEs for those who want to play on DosBox or an actual DOS machine. Also included are Doomp and Doom2p which are expanded versions for playing wads essentially, NoVert which prevents vertical mouse movement, and some other cool stuff like Solo-Net and xttl's improved IPXSETUP for netplay.

All you have to do is plop your IWADs in, aside from that, this is a ready-made Vanilla Doom package with only a small handful extra improvements Doomers have made along the way.

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Vanilla Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom EXEs for DOS(Box)

Here's the vanilla Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom EXEs for those who want to play on DosBox or an actual DOS machine. Also included are Doomp and Doom2p which are expanded versions for playing wads essentially, NoVert which prevents vertical mouse movement, and some other cool stuff like Solo-Net and xttl's improved IPXSETUP for netplay.

All you have to do is plop your IWADs in, aside from that, this is a ready-made Vanilla Doom package with only a small handful extra improvements Doomers have made along the way.

Perhaps Doom Patcher is also interesting to include?

On 9/1/2020 at 10:53 AM, drfrag said:

I think other ports feel more authentic mainly due to the ZDoom PRNG.

You are aware that any Boom compatible port not running in vanilla compatibility mode also swaps out the RNG, aren't you?

31 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Yeah. ;)

That is something I am not gonna do. The current name "Doom Big Freaking Anniversary(BFA)" is perfect for the source port itself

34 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

You are aware that any Boom compatible port not running in vanilla compatibility mode also swaps out the RNG, aren't you?

But here's the thing, actually, they don't make the player feel weaker.

I've been tearing my hair out due to being unable to tell why I was feeling a bit underpowered in ZDoom, until people pointed this out, and it suddenly all clicked.

The Boom RNG is nothing better or worse than ZDoom's, it is very random and should not make any significant difference. If you feel a difference there, it's either random or pure imagination.

If you feel a difference between original Doom's and Boom's RNG, that is quite different.

Of course i am, i looked at the PRBoom source and the classic table is still used to play vanilla demos. About the rest of the code i don't understand exactly what they did but you said "Even Boom in 1998 has replaced the internal RNG with a system similar to ZDoom's and a better distributed generator" and the key here is better distributed. The ideal solution would be to do a statistical analysis and tweak the output of the Mersenne Twister but the old PRNG table gets the job done.

But actually i pretty much haven't played PRBoom, i've only compared Choco and ZDoom. I think they must have tweaked their generator for the output to be more vanilla-like.

Doom was designed and tested with that table, if you change the generator you'd also need to change the damage formulae to compensate.

You're clearly underestimating this issue IMO, @Blzut3 said "if you're actively looking for it the vanilla RNG is weighted high so everything will do slightly more damage."

And @AlexMax also said about the SSG "even though the exact patterns might not be the same, at the end of the day it's still 20 random numbers from that table".

For me playing with nerfed weapons is not fun. Just play a map with it enabled and then disable it, i definitely can see the difference and to me it's not precisely subtle. I'm a hardcore doomer tough.

27 minutes ago, drfrag said:

For me playing with nerfed weapons is not fun. Just play a map with it enabled and then disable it, i definitely can see the difference and to me it's not precisely subtle. I'm a hardcore doomer tough.

Same here, it's definitely no imagination. I can't tell it with all weapons, but with the Shotgun on certain enemies it definitely seems to be there. It's as if Boom/Vanilla and ZDoom RNG are two ends of a dial, the former leans towards more damage, the latter less, for whatever reason.

I'm not hardcore though, but I did play a lot in PrBoom/Eternity and it's enough for me to tell when something's off. I wonder if this also extends to the other Doom games, a few of us spotted a while ago that the weapons in Hexen may also be weaker than vanilla.