Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyberDestroyer

Are there any doom wads/levels that make you feel uncomfortable?

Im going to tell you one time a doom wad made ME feel uncomfortable. 

The wad is 1993.wad. Im on MAP02, and out of the blue some weird/creepy looking head popped out of the wall and i yelped. 

Did not see that coming. 

I would love to hear your thoughts.

(Also, sorry for my reaction with "THE DOOM EFFECT." I wont get butthurt like that again.)

lilith.pk3 comes to mind immediately. Doom as glitch art with twisted, deformed Bobby Prince tunes? That'll get to ya. It also plays really well at the same time that it subverts many IWAD and user-map tropes.

I can't recall the name of it... so imma just call it the clown wad... there's actually two of them. Seen my bro play it, says I should play it, and I'm like NOPE haha. The sounds, atmosphere, it's all just too damn unsettling for my taste... not to mention the enemies are like DEMONIC CLOWNS. I dunno why, that wad looks a little too disturbing for me. I just really don't like creepy clowns, even if I'm able to shoot them lol. 

Combat Shock 2 MAP05 comes to mind for me personally because I'd never really seriously played any slaughter before that and it really blindsided me with a sudden huge increase of scale and hostility that I hadn't experienced before. Instead of being Doomguy I suddenly felt like a tiny rat crawling carefully around the margins of a giant rusty machine of death and I really started to dread pressing every switch because I didn't really have the skills or knowledge to deal with what I was facing, but I was already hooked. Looking back it's a fairly ordinary map in its genre and sorta cribs pretty hard in style and tone from Sunder MAP11, but I didn't know any of that at the time and a lot of the time I'm still searching for that same feeling of dread whenever I pick up new wads to play.

37 minutes ago, Kokoro Hane said:

I can't recall the name of it... so imma just call it the clown wad... there's actually two of them. Seen my bro play it, says I should play it, and I'm like NOPE haha. The sounds, atmosphere, it's all just too damn unsettling for my taste... not to mention the enemies are like DEMONIC CLOWNS. I dunno why, that wad looks a little too disturbing for me. I just really don't like creepy clowns, even if I'm able to shoot them lol. 

Happy Time Circus 1 and 2?

The SpaceDM5 level where Bill Cosby's disembodied head comes after you and instakills you.

This was before all the allegations surfaced.

Some years ago, i was afraid of the finals levels of Brutal Doom, MAP 28 and MAP 29.

They make me a feel of twisted hell castle without music and really hard encounter, even with the powered gameplay addon.

Also, the ice levels of eviternity made me chill in unconfort, don't really know how, but it's was like a thing that it's not to much done on Doom, that make it's feel weird, even weird how it's ends the episode.

MBelcher.wad is a 7 maps Doom 2 wad that change most sounds, and makes you feel alone on huge and sprawling full of darkness maps.

Very unsettling just for the strangeness of the maps and the texture work.

A.L.T. have some serious unsettling moments, moments that make you feel confused, alone on an alien environments very similar to the real world, the new monsters sounds really helps taking you out of your confort zone.

Excellent and impressive experience!
ITs truly an absolutely life transforming experience!

There's quite a lot of maps I can think of that make me feel uncomfortable, but I would say this Doomworld Mega Project 2015 level would be the first one to think of. Imagine The Chasm, but overhauled with lots of stuff, loads of items to make 100% items a chore, loads of secrets, and then you have the tricks and traps that make the level name check out and everything.

Hell to Pay's skinned people unnerved me, theres a scene really early on where your basically in a processing plant for your buddies, who are getting used as meat. your the only one with enough willpower to fight back, the rest just lie there accepting their fate. The conveyor belt of skinned human corpses sent shivers down my spine (You later hitch a ride to a ship in a crate full of these)

The Mucus Flow, which I always accidentally call Nostril Caverns because all the mucus is literally flowing from a nose and ToD made a wad called Nostril Caverns. Fantastic map that gave me the creeps when CC2 came out.

E2M6 kinda makes me a bit that way, parts of episode 2 of Doom kinda have a slight Backrooms vibe to them

Reconstruction/Decomposition had some surreal moments that really gave me the creeps. Lilith.pk3 is another unsettling one for sure, the thoroughly glitchy "wrongness" activated things in my brain that I'm not used to experiencing from Doom wads.

On 8/31/2020 at 4:37 PM, Wagi said:

The SpaceDM5 level where Bill Cosby's disembodied head comes after you and instakills you.

This was before all the allegations surfaced.

Yeah, that did take on an unpleasant new meaning in recent years...

The entirety of episode 2 in doom 1 was very uncomfortable the first time i played it, mostly due to the textures.

When I played KDiZD when it came out, I remember literally feeling nauseated by the tentacles oozing out of the walls, the funny thing is it was just a scrolling texture on a sloped surface, that was one of the few times something in a game felt freakishly real. Dunno how it did to me in 2007, it looks silly to me now.

Edited by Blastfrog

Personally, The Sky May Be made me quite uncomfortable. 

It was more of uncomfortable in the sense that everything in the episode "The Sky May Be" looked uncanny. It felt empty and small even though it was actually filled with demons and quite tall and big. The sound effects and enemies helped to tone down the feeling I had, but still, felt a bit uncomfortable.

The barons and cyber's room in Doom 2 map 08 was a childhood trauma for doomers like me , plus the fact that the cyber can teleport in the main room.

Xaser's dead.air

On 9/1/2020 at 5:30 AM, jamondemarnatural said:

Some years ago, i was afraid of the finals levels of Brutal Doom, MAP 28 and MAP 29.

The mapset itself is Extermination Day. The same thing is also added in his Brutal Doom64 which I really hate to hear.

@ZeroTheEro it's was the Starter Pack as it's was on 2013, before changing the name.

In Brutal Doom 64 it's was done less more as it's still on the same mapset as Doom 64.

1 hour ago, Marn said:

ZanZan was pretty damn uncanny

Thanks for reminding me of ZanZan, It makes me both comfortable and uncomfortable.

The cool thing about it that it was made by the same Company who made Batman Doom, Rock Of Ages Series and Zeno Clash.

E1M8. There really is nothing that compares to the first time I encountered the barons and then reached the end of that episode. I can’t say I’ve ever had a sensation like that again. All I wanted to do at that moment was play the next two episodes. 

I remember having nightmares at the time about that level, and I could hear the steel drum sounds from the music track in the distance. I was still really young at the time, and the only “realistic” game we had was 7th Guest. So at the time, Doom looked a lot more “real” because there wasn’t much else to compare it to at the time. 

I didn’t get to play Doom often for a while after that, and didn’t come back to it again until around Doom 3’s release. I was surprised that my memory of how the game looked was slightly different than the reality. I remember the game feeling much different initially. I remember the fire balls actually making me physically dodge them because I thought it would help. Now that I was older and looking at it I still saw what it was I enjoyed so much about it, but I’ll never get those images out of my head of how my younger self remembered the game. It’s hard to explain really but what I’m trying to say is I remember the game looking much scarier and darker. So when people tell me Doom is just a power-trip to them, I tend to disagree. Doom is a power trip once you’re not a chicken shit. 

On 8/31/2020 at 12:43 PM, Kokoro Hane said:

I still think you should play it!

59 minutes ago, Gerolf said:

and I could hear the steel drum sounds from the music track in the distance

Im sure its synth drums, steel drums sound way "happier".

I know this because i screw around making stupid midis all day.