Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The 50th DWIronman League Challenge: Hell Revealed!

Aw crap. I really don't like this wad, but I'll still give it a try. My anger and annoyance will probably seep into my gameplay and cause me to die in some stupid way. At least it's not Hell Revealed 2!

Category 2, died stupidly on map13 at around 1:49:50. Still not too disappointed, I feel like this is pretty good. Foreknowledge goes a long way on this wad.

Spoiler

This death wasn't even caused by that trap. You know which one I'm talking about. I just spaced out while circle-strafing mancubi and took two high-damage fireballs that took me from 100% health to 0%. I've maxed this map before from a pistol start, and I think I could have survived it on this run. I had a good plan for that trap involving the BFG that I grabbed on a previous map, but I never got to find out if it would work, sadly.

As an aside, if anyone tries to do this totally blind, that person won't make it past map13. Mark my words.

hrironman-pseudonaut.zip

12 hours ago, NaZa said:

a lot of the members (by extension, Ironman regulars) have played it and thus have foreknowledge on some of the more dickish maps and traps

Not me. I have yet to play it (whereas I have actually played BTSX E2 and Eviternity). I have a feeling I am gonna do bad on this month too (this time mainly because of lack of foreknowledge)

BEFORE I FORGET: There's a softlock on MAP05. Near the end of a level there's a plasma rifle. Do not jump on it while the floor is raising up, because to my knowledge, you cannot lower it back down from the level below. Once you make it up there, proceeding further will start lowering the floor back down, and with a well timed jump, you could get the plasma rifle.

Will put it into the OP.

I've only now realized I actually missed the last month, lol.

So it's finally time to break the ice with HR. I may have played it in full it will make exactly no difference.

31 minutes ago, NaZa said:

BEFORE I FORGET: There's a softlock on MAP05. Near the end of a level there's a plasma rifle. Do not jump on it while the floor is raising up, because to my knowledge, you cannot lower it back down from the level below. Once you make it up there, proceeding further will start lowering the floor back down, and with a well timed jump, you could get the plasma rifle.

Will put it into the OP.

It's definetely not a softlock , the floor is repeatable. You are supposed to grab the Plasma gun this way. You only have to do annoying backtracking to lower it (the switch guarded by bunch of zombies if I remember well)

4 minutes ago, Roofi said:

It's definetely not a softlock , the floor is repeatable. You are supposed to grab the Plasma gun this way. You only have to do annoying backtracking to lower it (the switch guarded by bunch of zombies if I remember well)

Ah, okay, thank you. I wasn't sure whether it was a softlock or not because I remember on a past playthrough I noclipped through it in anger. But it makes sense - thanks for reporting.

7 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Ah, okay, thank you. I wasn't sure whether it was a softlock or not because I remember on a past playthrough I noclipped through it in anger. But it makes sense - thanks for reporting.

On the other hand, I think your advice remains good because a lot of players could interpret this as a softlock and it saves time!

I'd never played this before, and lol what a trolly set, i respect that. I survived several evil traps only to be humiliated by a hell knight in tight quarters on map 6.

Familiarity is 1.

ragerattyhellrevealedironman.zip

edit: Hey can I ask a total noob question? I looked in the rules and info and didn't see anything, but like I noticed people react with different items. Is there like a code to it? like soulsphere = hey cool run, blursphere = try harder etc.?

Edited by ragerat : i had a question about the reactions and i didn't want to clutter the thread by double posting

2 hours ago, ragerat said:

I'd never played this before, and lol what a trolly set, i respect that. I survived several evil traps only to be humiliated by a hell knight in tight quarters on map 6.

It gets much more evil than that. The authors themselves have described map11 as "the first real challenge in Hell Revealed", and even that map is no big deal compared to something like map22 or map24. I still expect that some crazy person will survive the whole set.

2 hours ago, ragerat said:

I noticed people react with different items. Is there like a code to it? like soulsphere = hey cool run, blursphere = try harder etc.?

It means different things to different people, but I generally just give soul spheres to posts that I like. I guess they could all be interpreted as a form of "like", since they're all labelled that way.

Dead on MAP03 after a Pinky managed to infinite height me with a lucky bite that took most of my health away.

Cat 2.

seedhr.zip

6 hours ago, ragerat said:

Edit: Hey can I ask a total noob question? I looked in the rules and info and didn't see anything, but like I noticed people react with different items. Is there like a code to it? like soulsphere = hey cool run, blursphere = try harder etc.?

They don't really represent anything but I've read some people use mega or invul as a super like and invis as a dislike.

2IUiAVE.png

Ugh.

Dead on MAP22, category 2. Took me a bit over an hour to get to MAP12, a bit over two hours to get to MAP18 and a bit over 3 hours to get to MAP22, so this wasn't as timely as expected, but the next maps would've likely taken an hour and a half. I expect if someone survives it'll take them 5-6 hours, as I gained a lot of time by straight up skipping some portions of the maps (and grabbing a key on M17).

To be honest, I expected to die on this map the most. It wasn't looking likely I'd survive it to die on the maps after it, and I knew if I had some stroke of genius or luck I'd be able to survive MAP18. This was hands down incredibly intense stuff. I am pretty sure I was down to less than 50 HP on maps 13, 15, 16 and 18 (featuring a double old-fashioned rocket catch - thank God I had 200/200!). I managed to fully neutralize MAP13 with a simple trick, even though I nearly died before exploiting said trick due to infinitely tall barons - and MAP14 really isn't too difficult on continuous play if you have a good strategy for it, even if it has very close quarters Cyberdemon battles. MAP18 I was pleasantly surprised to do so well on, barring that godawful misstep in the Cyber den, and I think it got to my head after I took some weird archvile damage on MAP19 out of all maps. But alas, I made the grave mistake on MAP22 of letting the quartet of Cyberdemons rain their rockets down from the big building, which severely limited my movement opportunities. I then tried to two-shot a couple of Cyberdemons and it didn't quite pay off... and this happened. Too bad, I was really going rather well, but that's Doom.

Also, I skipped the secret levels because they're incredibly risky to play. In a month where maybe 1 or 2 people will survive, I don't think secret levels are a good gamble.

dwironman_sep20_naza.zip

8 hours ago, Ancalagon said:

They don't really represent anything but I've read some people use mega or invul as a super like and invis as a dislike.

I actually see all four reactions as just some sort of the same ''like''. Invis for me, means something like ''interesting'' at the sametime meaning ''like''. I just assumme everyone uses god for an ''amazing'' reaction and the rest is just regular likes.

I use invis for something I've rarely seen before and I find rather interesting; soulsphere for the generic like or "thanks for posting"; invulnerability for something that's super cool and really nice, but more often for something sarcastic, ironic or funny; megasphere for an immense thing or achievement in Doom, or a really great map or set or picture.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/618103035280752673/751602777339461753/Ro_HR_26.lmp

Died at map 26 (Sorry forgot to take a screenshot) , Category 2.

My demo last at least 6h !!!!! Just very short comments on each map 

Map 01 ----> Map 10 (I played those maps so much that they were incredibly easy)

Map 11 ---> Not hard , just longer (and oh , the first time we meet the BFG !)

Map 12 --> Easy , the Cyb is skippable

Map 13 --> The famous trap may be just hard or totally luck-based depending how you use the items.

Map 14 --> Harder than M13 imo, way harder , even on continuous play. I just don't like this kind of map.

Map 15 --> Nothing Really Special , I didn't take the secret exit.

Map 16 --> Cool map for chilling and SSG spam a lot of barons.

Map 17 --> Pretty Straightforward but has some very dickish "little" traps.

Map 18 --> Killing the teleporting cyb , was maybe one of the most scary task I had to do in my run. Globally , I found this map long and boring.

Map 19 --> Nice filler map

Map 20 --> Is there a mandatory AVJ here? I reached the exit by doing it because I suspected that. Anyway pretty beautiful map

Map 21 ---> This map is just boooooooooooriing , but nice concept.

Map 22 --> One of the masterpieces from Hell Revealed.

Map 23 --> I loved this map but beware of the very very dickish trap (even worse than map 13 !)

Map 24 --> Do I have to comment this map? :) It was a lot easier than in my memories though.

Map 25 --> Nice easy filler map

Map 26 --> RIP (but the map itself is a masterpiece)

Category 2

Died Map 13 

238/266 monsters killed

Very happy with my run until the circumstances of my death (I predicted I would die on map 09 before the run, and I very nearly died earlier on map 07), I really should have survived that trap because I had already got the hard bit out the way...

00ironman_horus_standard.zip

Well, my prayers were answered with a classic megawad I greatly enjoy.  Even managed some speedtricks for the likes of maps such as 2 & 9.

And then...my brain decided to blue screen on map 14.  I went full smartpants mcgee as I felt like getting the secret megasphere before going to 15.  There's one big problem with that...KINDA gotta remember which portal takes you up to where you can reach it.

Me?  I didn't remember which one I was supposed to take and just picked at random.  The one I picked decided to re-enact my hilarious death from the second half of the Estranged beta back in the day.  Of course, with no revs around, some big 'ol moo man had to pick up the slack.

DWIronman_HR1_AnimaZero.zip

19 hours ago, Roofi said:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/618103035280752673/751602777339461753/Ro_HR_26.lmp

Died at map 26 (Sorry forgot to take a screenshot) , Category 2.

My demo last at least 6h !!!!! Just very short comments on each map 

Map 01 ----> Map 10 (I played those maps so much that they were incredibly easy)

Map 11 ---> Not hard , just longer (and oh , the first time we meet the BFG !)

Map 12 --> Easy , the Cyb is skippable

Map 13 --> The famous trap may be just hard or totally luck-based depending how you use the items.

Map 14 --> Harder than M13 imo, way harder , even on continuous play. I just don't like this kind of map.

Map 15 --> Nothing Really Special , I didn't take the secret exit.

Map 16 --> Cool map for chilling and SSG spam a lot of barons.

Map 17 --> Pretty Straightforward but has some very dickish "little" traps.

Map 18 --> Killing the teleporting cyb , was maybe one of the most scary task I had to do in my run. Globally , I found this map long and boring.

Map 19 --> Nice filler map

Map 20 --> Is there a mandatory AVJ here? I reached the exit by doing it because I suspected that. Anyway pretty beautiful map

Map 21 ---> This map is just boooooooooooriing , but nice concept.

Map 22 --> One of the masterpieces from Hell Revealed.

Map 23 --> I loved this map but beware of the very very dickish trap (even worse than map 13 !)

Map 24 --> Do I have to comment this map? :) It was a lot easier than in my memories though.

Map 25 --> Nice easy filler map

Map 26 --> RIP (but the map itself is a masterpiece)

My god Roofi. 6 hours of pure hell. That's some endurance Ironman skills.

A bit useless but I share just in case. Before making my demo, I made my own HRMUS. I chose the music according to the memories and feelings I had on each map.

The original HRMUS does not cover all the music, so I wanted to have a complete OST. Most of the midis comes from the wad "180 minutes pour Vivre".

HRMUS_ro

Hell Revealed...
Couldn't let that one pass by without trying :)

Spoiler

Took a wrong turn at the beginning of map 24. Arch-Viles joyfully seized the opportunity to roast me, and my corpse now adds to the massive pile of marines who died in this legendary map.

It's been fun though !
Almost 6 hours...

Could've died on map 22 as well, the Cyberdemon pack guarding Blue key almost got me. I think I skipped a beat at that point :)

Thanks NaZa for giving me a chance to replay this classic.
Obviously, Hell Revealed has fallen from the "hardest wad of all time" throne a long time ago, most notably when compared to abominations like Flotsam, Dimensions, Stardate 20X7 or the latest Sunder maps. Besides, some of HR's concepts and ideas definitely belong to another era of Doom mapping, most maps in it would seem unnecessarily grindy by today's standards (looking at you, map 18).
Still, it's definitely a must-play even to this day, and a fantastic experience once you pass the first 10 maps and reach the real "core" of HR.

@Roofi as regards to map 20, I assume you're talking about the lava pit in front of the pentagram ?
This one puzzled me as well, haha, I didn't remember there was a switch that raises in the previous room when you get down the stairs. This switch raises a passageway allowing us to cross the lava.

hr-Ironman-wh.zip

hr_IMbygal.zip

Category 2, boned in map 13.

Time: pfff idk less than 2 hours for sure

It's okay though, I was looking for an excuse to stop anyways and if it wasn't a death it was going to be food time soon or later anyways :p

Note: I'm pretty sure I inserted a dehacked with the automap names in my copy of the wad a long time ago, so if this causes desync somehow I'm sorry on one side and on the other side I'll upload my copy so you can watch the demo properly. 

Hi! This is the first time I try participating here, so I hope I did it right. XD

I completed this wad a few months ago for the first time... Yeah, I know, everyone has played this a long time ago, but because of its fame I was too scared to play it for decades! (It wasn't that bad after having played wads that are considered "normal difficulty" today, like Eviternity and others).

So I don't know the names of the categories, but I wasn't trying it blindly. Category 2, I think?

That doesn't mean that I remembered everything, I got lost a few times, specially in MAP03. I also wasn't able to do the easiest jump to enter a door in that level and had to try it like ten times. And took me a little while to find the switch that lowers the platform again in MAP05 after grabbing the plasma. XD

At the end, I died very soon in MAP07, just the map that I thought I would beat easily because "it's just running in circles, nothing can go wrong here".

Anyway, here's my demo!

HRIronMan.zip

I died to an unexpected trap (well, I expected a trap but not that kind of trap) on map 12 with 102 kills, category 2.
I was never a fan of HR, I started to play Doom in 2005 and HR level design was already dated by that point.
Youtube link

hr.zip

Dead on Map 20 Cat 3 as I watched some streams before doing my run.

Spoiler

Died to a baron that popped out of a floor as I was firing rockets at a vile, couldn't see anything and then the vile finished me off, pretty annoying death tbh but o well.

DWIronman-HR-Dubz.zip