Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

I've noticed some stuttering going between levels/demos and the options menu on the PS4 version but they don't occur on Switch for the most part. (apart from demo 2 which stutters on both at startup for some reason.) apart from that these updates are great.

You guys notice the new difficulty mode in this new update? "Ultra Violence+"? Seems to be a kind of randomizer. I started Doom II and found a BFG and a SSG on the Chainsaw secret.

[Edit]: It's not random. Seems to be Ultra-Violence with fast enemies enabled, but without respawning enemies. Still, there are more weapon pick ups somehow like the BFG in Entryway that I can't explain.

The steam versions have been updated and now include the unity ports but you can launch the original DOS Box version from launch options

15991565747341609329189965753044.jpg

7 minutes ago, TheSuperSteve said:

You guys notice the new difficulty mode in this new update? "Ultra Violence+"? Seems to be a kind of randomizer. I started Doom II and found a BFG and a SSG on the Chainsaw secret.

[Edit]: It's not random. Seems to be Ultra-Violence with fast enemies enabled, but without respawning enemies. Still, there are more weapon pick ups somehow like the BFG in Entryway that I can't explain.

Multiplayer things are enabled in this mode it seems. Just checked Map11 and the multiplayer-only Cyberdemon's there.

2 minutes ago, SteelPH said:

Multiplayer things are enabled in this mode it seems. Just checked Map11 and the multiplayer-only Cyberdemon's there.

Ah that explains it. I've never played Doom multiplayer. The new difficulty mode seems fun so far!

Indeed, this update is huge, and a nice gift for us who bought the original games in Steam too.

Truly epic, keep it up sponge & co. 👌

1 hour ago, Mattfrie1 said:

Got the updates on PS4 this morning. The motion controls threw me off at first (I thought it was a bug of some sort honestly), but everything else looks great. I'm noticing a few small out of place graphics that pop up on screen when you first enter the level though (About 18 seconds into the video). I'm assuming they are related to the motion control but I could be wrong.

This is a bug, thanks for reporting this! It looks like the touchscreen controls are flagged on inappropriately for the PS4.

Curious about something, is it possible to download Final Doom IWADs regardless if you own Doom 1 or Doom II on Steam? If so, that would be a weird oversight seeing as Final Doom is still being sold separately.

I just got the 200+ MB update and I was like ''WTF??'' Then I realized it was just the Unity Port. Not a fan of it. Having up to 3 adds pop up on the starting menu is truly the 2020 gaming experience. But at least is now more accessible for newcomers. Plus, the new difficulty is cool and the menu itself is neat and kinda clean. Still, GZDoom and PrBoom do a waaay better job as source-ports.

Spoiler

I'm a steam fan. One thing that would have make my really wet was probably adding Achievements. I love those things.

10 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Curious about something, is it possible to download Final Doom IWADs regardless if you own Doom 1 or Doom II on Steam? If so, that would be a weird oversight seeing as Final Doom is still being sold separately.

The WADs available are the same regardless of platform. This does indeed make it a bit weird, but the separate versions on Steam are the original IWADs, and aren't part of an optional download.

7 minutes ago, Gez said:

@sponge, is a GOG version planned?

DeHackEd support is big. The add-ons could now get crazy TCs like REKKR or Hacx.

Indeed. Alongside the native 16:9 rendering, DeHackEd support is absolutely huge for this thing and it signals that more extensive releases are coming. REKKR/HACX are new games in and out of itself, so ill be very curious where they go with next.

Either way, huge release and a ton of fixes aswell. This is really turning into something special, and sanctioned aswell. Sponge and the rest of id, thank you for keeping up the work with this.

Yeah, this is pretty cool, this is one of the best way to start in Vainilla Doom without having so much trouble with Sourceports.

Still gonna edit the dosbox entry to launch a Doom Launcher for my mods and sourceports!

Hey, I remember reading in the FAQ for when the addon update came out that you can add your own wad files on the pc (bethesda.net) version.

Can you still do that with the steam version?

And if so can you now load .deh files too?

Interesting info from @Scuba Steve:

The current id widescreen release came directly from this thread and the work I did for Nash, but I couldn't talk about it until now. id wanted some additional changes to title screens and wasn't concerned with preservation of the original 4:3 so there are minor differences between the id ones and those in this project but they are essentially the same. Part of the agreement is that id will allow use of all these widescreen images for use in any nonprofit widescreen mods—exactly like Nash's—so the release of the widescreen images in this mod can proceed just as they always have.

The main differences between the official widescreen images and the ones that were done for this widescreen project are...

• This project is 21:9 whereas the id ones are cropped to 16:9
  • This project makes NO changes to the original 4:3 images... there are tiny changes to the official release to make them just a bit cleaner.
  • The official release makes significant changes to the title screens of Doom 1/2; removal of the id logo and minor pixel cleanup in the logos... and removal of the blue blob!
  • You will never see the "CREDIT" widescreen images in the official port, since the old credit screens do not exist... but you will using this one!

From https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=1164253#p1164253

Holy f*cking Sh*t! I have just died and been resurrected by an archvile (in real life)! I knew something good was going to come today! This must be my reward for finally finishing DOOM 64! Thank you God!

23 minutes ago, terrcraftguy695 said:

Hey, I remember reading in the FAQ for when the addon update came out that you can add your own wad files on the pc (bethesda.net) version.

Can you still do that with the steam version?

And if so can you now load .deh files too?

Drop the WAD files into %userprofile%\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM Classic\WADs (or DOOM 2\WADs) and they should appear in the Add-Ons menu. You don't need to make subdirectories like the official downloads do, just drop them flat into that folder.

You can't load separate .deh files, we only read a DEHACKED lump from inside the WAD. We tested a handful of DEH mods and TCs so I'm hopeful that compatibility should be pretty good.

51 minutes ago, Endless said:

Having up to 3 adds pop up on the starting menu

I don't see any ads in the title screen. Maybe you have some malware. 

6 minutes ago, sponge said:

You can't load separate .deh files, we only read a DEHACKED lump from inside the WAD. We tested a handful of DEH mods and TCs so I'm hopeful that compatibility should be pretty good.

Aka how DeHacked is done today. A lot of DEH mods/TC's will embed a patch inside the WAD as that's the common thing to do today. Some still provide a seperate patch for loading though.

The only problem with this is that older TC's often came in a seperate .deh, or used an older version of DeHacked, which was applied as a binary patch. I cannot say for certain how many older stuff is affected by this, but compatibility should indeed be really decent, certainly most new mods these days (Since the WAD support so far is from 2011 till now).

Wonderful stuff Sponge. Having DeHackEd will open up another can of possibilities. :)

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I don't see any ads in the title screen. Maybe you have some malware. 

unknown.png?width=1131&height=636

This kind of adds.

That's not an ad in the slightest. That's a free thing they a giving you in Doom Eternal. You are the first person ever to complain about free stuff. 

54 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Do the PC ports support split screen as well? Or just the console versions?

Ye, it's been in the PC version since BNet.