Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kappes Buur

DB family comparison

There are 6 editors in the Doombuilder family.

With each iteration bugs were fixed, and new features added according the requests.

1. Doombuilder (no longer maintained)
  2. Doombuilder2 (no longer maintained)
  3. DoombuilderX (current)
  4. GZDoom Builder (no longer maintained)
  5. GZDoom Builder Bugfix (no longer maintained)
  6. Ultimate Doom Builder (current)

Spoiler

Vfg3KX9.png

The icons displayed for the editing menus will change with the context of the editing mode used.

Editing menus on the top and editing features either on left, right or none.

From various comments on the forum it appears that DB2 is still used extensively, there is nothing wrong with that.

However, even when mapping for the original DOOM/BOOM formats it would be preferential to use DBX, which is a more robust program. Using GZDBB or UDB gives the advantage of using the added editing features presented on the sidebar.

Most separate plugins for DB2 and GZDB are no longer compatible with UDB, some were incorporated into UDB.

Edited by Kappes Buur

Good post, I spotted a small oversight:

3 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

5. GZDoom Builder Bugfix (no longer maintained)

Huge personal rant: I use the final GZDB before the bug fix version, so the 2017 build. Mainly since I get way more bugs and errors with the bug fix version, ironically. My computer also flipped out when I tried UDB so I just said, ah fuck it, I’ll just stick with GZDB.

I made the switch from DB1 to GZDB right around the time it’s development stopped. Guess I’m destined to always be behind with my map editor situation, but it’s no problem so long as it runs well. I’ll switch to a newer one eventually, but changing map editors is a very big hurdle for me.. only used 3 in total throughout just shy of 20 years of mapping. Now that I’m 100% used to and comfortable in GZDB for the last 3 years, I’m gonna wait a while longer yet before I switch again.

It’s still so robust compared to WadAuthor and DB1, the only other 2 map editors I ever used seriously. So, I’m content to stick with it, my only concern is future OS support, I guess that’s what’ll force me to transition inevitably! 

Anyway, I’m glad to see the DB family going strong. Doom Builder changed Doom mapping as an art form, we wouldn’t be quite as far along as we are now without it, I’m convinced.

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Huge personal rant: I use the final GZDB before the bug fix version, so the 2017 build. Mainly since I get way more bugs and errors with the bug fix version, ironically. My computer also flipped out when I tried UDB so I just said, ah fuck it, I’ll just stick with GZDB.

I made the switch from DB1 to GZDB right around the time it’s development stopped. Guess I’m destined to always be behind with my map editor situation, but it’s no problem so long as it runs well. I’ll switch to a newer one eventually, but changing map editors is a very big hurdle for me.. only used 3 in total throughout just shy of 20 years of mapping. Now that I’m 100% used to and comfortable in GZDB for the last 3 years, I’m gonna wait a while longer yet before I switch again.

It’s still so robust compared to WadAuthor and DB1, the only other 2 map editors I ever used seriously. So, I’m content to stick with it, my only concern is future OS support, I guess that’s what’ll force me to transition inevitably! 

Anyway, I’m glad to see the DB family going strong. Doom Builder changed Doom mapping as an art form, we wouldn’t be quite as far along as we are now without it, I’m convinced.

I had a few issues with the first couple of versions of UDB, but it eventually smoothed itself out with updates.  I have now adopted it as my main editor.  Might be worth revisiting a newer version.

Might be worth adding Zone Builder into the comparison, given its specialized UI and tools made for Sonic Robo Blast 2 development.

I'm currently using the latest build of Ultimate Doom Builder, albeit without using many of its fanciest tools and automations. Having the Visplane Explorer plug-in in the base program is very handy though!

how come that i am still using db2 and i didn't even know it wasn't maintained anymore? What am i missing (my brain i know)?

19 hours ago, Doomkid said:

My computer also flipped out when I tried UDB so I just said, ah fuck it, I’ll just stick with GZDB. 

That's not really a good problem description. Most people that have problems have a Intel iGPU, so the first step is to check if that's OpenGL 3.3 compatible and the drivers are up to date.

19 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Now that I’m 100% used to and comfortable in GZDB for the last 3 years, I’m gonna wait a while longer yet before I switch again.

Right now there are nearly no UI changes from GZDB(-BF) to UDB. It's mostly smaller improvements and a couple big new features (which are mostly for GZDoom, though).

51 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

how come that i am still using db2 and i didn't even know it wasn't maintained anymore? What am i missing (my brain i know)?

The fact that the last version is 8 years old might have been a hint ;)

On 9/3/2020 at 6:13 AM, Kappes Buur said:

From various comments on the forum it appears that DB2 is still used extensively, there is nothing wrong with that.

However, even when mapping for the original DOOM/BOOM formats it would be preferential to use DBX, which is a more robust program. Using GZDBB or UDB gives the advantage of using the added editing features presented on the sidebar.

I've been using GZDB for vanilla(ish) mapping, and hadn't heard of DBX. What advantages does it have for mapping in the original formats?

10 minutes ago, boris said:

That's not really a good problem description. Most people that have problems have a Intel iGPU, so the first step is to check if that's OpenGL 3.3 compatible and the drivers are up to date.

Right now there are nearly no UI changes from GZDB(-BF) to UDB. It's mostly smaller improvements and a couple big new features (which are mostly for GZDoom, though).

The fact that the last version is 8 years old might have been a hint ;)

hahahah lollllz

fact is that when i downloaded it again this year i just wrote doombuilder on google and well there is doombuilder 2 on the main page, then on the right in tiny letters you can find a link to ultimate, how am i supposed to knowwwww

THEY TRICKED ME

so what are the biggest downsides that i am getting because of this?

All doom level editors are very similar each other about interface. I would like see something like deepsea or wadauthor with 3d feature

1 hour ago, Raleigh said:

All doom level editors are very similar each other about interface.

Quite true for editing menus, but quite different for editing features.

I remember Zeth, where you had to place vertices first, then interconnect those, select them and finally confirm the selection to be a sector, changing menus all the while. Aahh, the good ol' times. Now, with UDB, you simply draw out a sector. Aahh, the bliss.

1 hour ago, Raleigh said:

I would like see something like deepsea or wadauthor with 3d feature

In the case of Deepsea you could use it in conjunction with R3Dedit (a Risen3D offshoot) for 3D viewing and limited editing. For Wadauthor, that will never happen, although it is still good for plain Doom format mapping.

But something like old editors but with new features, drawing a sector directly. If I was programmer have sure I'll do it.

Another thing I saw in edmap (I tested it but didnt made any map, very buggy) is that editorsays you quantity of ammo provide you a box of shells for example, and you can have an idea for see if is enought or not on a map. And in DB or alike not. At least have 3d feature :)