Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Classic Doom Better Than The New Ones Or Vice Versa?

Even though i played the classic Doom games before 2016 came out, every time i think of Doom the first thing that comes to mind is that first plane of the Doomslayer with the reflection of hell in the visor of his helmet with The Only Thing They Fear Is You playing.

I think the new ones could be better if they had the modding potential the classic ones have. But if we're not counting mods and stuff, i'd say Eternal is the best one, followed by Doom 1, 2016 and Doom 2.

If we're counting mods, Doom 2 and Doom 1 reign supreme.

Im a new doom fan,introduced by the new games.

The new games are good and all but can you mod them?

The fact that you can play almost any type of game with the old doom because of mods is amazing.

I really wish modern games have mod tools or just give the players the source code to do what ever they want.

Apples and Oranges. Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are fantastic games in my book, but they are very different. To give credit where credit is due, for the most part they had a very good understanding of what makes a Doom game tick: fast movement speed, a diverse bestiary that presents different tactical situations in different combinations, avoidable enemy projectiles. The only thing I think is missing from the formula is monsters limiting player movement. Enemies rarely limit your mobility when you can double jump over them. I don't think this is bad per se, but something that is really important to me. That comes down to preference, though; there are enough people who want to play classic Doom with jumping and infinitely tall actors removed that a number of source ports support it.

That, and I think hitscanners are actually a valuable part of the formula*cough cough*

Y'all hear sumn?

3 hours ago, Theperson said:

Im a new doom fan,introduced by the new games.

The new games are good and all but can you mod them?

The fact that you can play almost any type of game with the old doom because of mods is amazing.

I really wish modern games have mod tools or just give the players the source code to do what ever they want.

Did you forget about Snapmap?

1 minute ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Wouldn't be the first person.

12 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Snapmap is great!

I wish Eternal should have something like that but im saying full on modding, completly adding new features in.

Classic dooms have kept me playing since i discovered them in 1996 (psx versions) Been playing classic doom on multiple platforms ever since and always go back to it. I wonder if the new ones will have such staying power?

That said I love new doom too so who knows?? Lol