Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

Doom -1: A Doomworld Experiment

Holy Smokes, why is the deadline approaching so soon...?! I'll quickly finish up a few of my other assignments and then get back to mapping. 

Version 4.37

Map 4 update

- Added detail to the blue-key cave area

- Added a basic layout for the red key.

- Transferred a new sky (it's a tradition). I picked a snow landscape for now (from Mechadon's Box'o'skies). This might change in future updates. It is easy to change, just change the texture of the single 272 linedef with tag 50 (north of the map)

https://easyupload.io/40beud

22 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

I've been messing around with recolouring the Caco and have this alternative. Yay or nay? If you guys prefer the black caco we already have that's fine, I have other uses for this green Caco.

I prefer the body colour of the current (black) version, but I like the red eye and red fireball in this new version...

Edited by PinkFlamingo

map18 updated.

• More monsters
  • Sound blocking zones
  • All three keycards placed
  • Monster spawners
  • Misc map changes

This map needs a lot of work, especially with Thing placement and gameplay. I am a little disappointed nobody else felt like adding any buildings to the city streets but whatever. The deadline is approaching, I am more concerned about gameplay now.

https://easyupload.io/yu5qf8

I'm really stuck up with some other things. Have a lot of ideas, especially for MAP18... and gosh it has been a while since I worked on that map specifically. That's one of my absolute favorite maps of this wad.. Hope to get back to mapping in a day or two. Really want to add some more buildings to it.. and a whole lot of monster invasions as the map progresses.

I could make a compilation of simple mapping ideas that could help inspire you. Interesting gimmicks that could potentially help us finish the project before the deadline.

41 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

I could make a compilation of simple mapping ideas that could help inspire you. Interesting gimmicks that could potentially help us finish the project before the deadline.

Yes please

43 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

yes, please, i want to add more stuff to MAP05 and ideas may be util!

I can also go through playtesting all of the maps and getting you guys a good comprehensive list of opinions on the different maps! I'll even go as far as to offer my services in demo recording, but I don't know if that's stretching things-

Decided to run through this quickly between last night and today. I played through version 4.33 so whatever changes have been made since then, ignore.

I’m blown away by how much this has changed since I first played it – back when it was just 2 maps and all vanilla. Never expected to see this turn into a huge, custom megawad!

There’s this zany Freedoom vibe going on at times, but for the most part (especially early on), it’s surprisingly cohesive and lots of fun. The custom weapons and monsters really help sell the project as something sort of unique and refreshing, and the weapons themselves are quite satisfying to use. There’s clearly a ton of passion here, and hopefully you guys see this thing through!

Notes from my playthrough (again, 4.33) --

General design notes:

• The Gargoyle monster that shoots Baron Balls needs like... half the HP. A flying bullet sponge is just not a fun enemy to fight. I think somewhere around 300-400 HP would help this enemy a lot.
  • The Lost Souls feel like a massive troll. They basically explode with the damage & radius of a barrel, and almost every single time I died to one felt incredibly cheap. I’d consider reducing their damage and explosion radius – or, as an alternative, give them like... 1 HP.
  • The Cacodemon sound effects are pretty awful. There must be better options for it. I remember the Caco Lich having some decent custom SFX, which might be worth grabbing as an alternative.
  • The new Baron sprite (made from the Hierophant?) looks badass, but the frequency with which the Baron gets used as a meat door throughout the WAD starts to feel quite grating by the end. For anyone still actively mapping for this project, maybe keep this in mind.

Some notes on the maps themselves:

I tried to avoid nitpicking here. There’s a ton of content, and the quality ranges pretty drastically at times, but I’d say the baseline overall is fairly positive. The first half of the WAD definitely has the higher quality in my opinion, with the opening “episode” of 8 or so maps feeling very polished and cohesive. Past the halfway point however, the consistency feels like it takes a pretty steep dive (with a few memorable exceptions, like MAP22, the very Plutonia-esque MAP25, and the genuinely exciting final fight with MAP30).

- MAP05: Needs a non-secret BFG or fewer Cyberdemons on UV, that fight was a total grind.

- MAP09: Unfinished

- MAP11: I would use a teleport instead of a switch for the death exit (and why the megasphere?).

- MAP12: Awesome opening, but the second half ramps up out of nowhere and feels like a different map entirely. I’d cut this map off at the YK door, considering it's the opening of the episode after the death exit, and use the second half as another map somewhere else.

- MAP13: Unfinished, but a really neat start.

- MAP15: Unfinished, and needs some work in general. Sort of feels like 2 maps.

- MAP16: Progression was a cryptic nightmare. Some better signposting/guiding would help this map tremendously.

- MAP17: Seems half-baked (unfinished?). Not a bad start, just needs a bit of TLC.

- MAP18: Super fun concept, executed pretty damn well. Tends to feel a bit barren though. Maybe some monsters (even Cybs) roaming the streets would help? And there’s no YK on the map, making the last switch (and the exit) impossible to reach as far as I could tell.

- MAP21: Another great concept, that I think is unfinished?

- MAP26: The Player Start is actually outside of the map, and there’s a voodoo doll where I imagine the start is supposed to be.

- MAP28: Unfinished... I think?

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

Well, then it seems that this will be of most interest to @URROVA and @Rosh Fragger.

It's a little MAP01 I made on top of Negative One v4.38. It isn't very polished, but the point is the concepts and gimmicks within it, even though to be fair it kinda sucks there too. Hopefully it will still somehow serve as inspiration :)

-1_ideas.wad.zip

You can also borrow some areas to stitch other areas together if you want! Do what you want to it, too!

holy crap first negative-one custom map ever

Version 4.39

Map 04 update:

- The map is now a snowy mountain base (added a few icy OTEX textures)

https://easyupload.io/v3hosv

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Starting area

Screenshot_Doom_20200904_152552.png.eebe5e0c04c305a56df200b97f9722eb.png

Red key area

Screenshot_Doom_20200904_153231.png.1b4b413760bb37860396f48f2824a21c.png

One of the newer areas still in development

Screenshot_Doom_20200904_153304.png.5fd63197ad0a12528a7ed98efded54c6.png

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Release v4.40: MAP23 changes

• I made the windows in the pentagram room (attention) breakable, with a method that combines THeights, instant sector rise with the vanilla bridges method, and translucent lines. Then I explain how to do it.
  • More decoration to my part in general, the bridge and the switch building with the 3 hell knights.
  • Not too much since i have been a bit busy yesterday :/

Link: https://mega.nz/file/vTwRTCwR#RxgPp4etW_NFI3NZZdTCcwJwJCzMQlDl4F-Z9hHfxt0

19 hours ago, URROVA said:

So, I finished making a MIDI for this wad. What do you think? Can the midi go into the WAD? If not, i will use it for IMPSCAPE, another mod that I am doing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RnYZGEVpWU3CEtUtx6aogJAfl4j3m871/view?usp=sharing

And what's up with my MIDI? Can it be used in this wad? And if so, at what level?

And reserving MAP05! I want to add new parts, and make breakable all the windows!

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Version 4.39

Map 04 update:

- The map is now a snowy mountain base (added a few icy OTEX textures)

https://easyupload.io/v3hosv

Screenshots:

Hide contents

Starting area

Screenshot_Doom_20200904_152552.png.eebe5e0c04c305a56df200b97f9722eb.png

Red key area

Screenshot_Doom_20200904_153231.png.1b4b413760bb37860396f48f2824a21c.png

One of the newer areas still in development

Screenshot_Doom_20200904_153304.png.5fd63197ad0a12528a7ed98efded54c6.png

Very nice! Funnily enough, one of the unfinished levels I recycled for MAP20 was originally a snow & ice themed map.

Version 4.42:

MAP07 is now beatable. It requires a few tricks and skips, but if you pay enough attention it is doable. You can now exit. Tested on Prboom+ and Zandronum.

V4.42

Also shrinked arachnotron and mancubus height to 56, to make sure the map is beatable. The concept is still incomplete, so I'll have to reserve it again before the deadline.

reserving map 9 for extra detailing

done...

v4.43

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7tx7vvsltep131/NEGATIVEONE_v4.43.rar?dl=0

reserving map 2

done...

v.4.44

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nblzzq8cj3nzcdp/NEGATIVEONE_v4.44.rar?dl=0

made map 2 easier at easy skill level, fixed textures and missing textures

oooooopss.... reserving map 9 again.. broke a red door

Edited by CBM

I'm not entirely sure that I'm going to participate in this: but its a cool idea! I will MOST CERTAINLY be playing many of the mods, though!