Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

Updates for Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 showed up in my Steam download sections, but why?

21 minutes ago, StoneMason said:

Interesting. Just downloaded the steam versions, and they already used my settings from the bethesda.net launcher versions, including the addons already installed.

Noticed I can use the original cheats now, no longer having to rely on the cheats menu. Also noticed that BTSX E2 now in fact has some of its dehacked stuff working, such as the instant death exit in map16. Probably because it was changed for the bethesda port, but Map14 is still using the regular ammo dropping zombiemen for it's final fight instead of the dehacked versions that the public version has, though.

The sprite limit has been raised, so the zombiemen can drop ammo without causing cyb rockets to go invisible.

15 minutes ago, JXC said:

Unfortunately, you can't do UV+ for the main games; only for add-ons.

You should be able to select UV+ through Level Select when hitting New Game on the base addons. There's almost no coop/DM items on Doom 1, but Doom 2 changes up quite a bit.

15 minutes ago, JXC said:

On the Unity port, just go to Add-ons, download it, and press f to activate it.

I did some checking on there earlier and did that, as well as installing the Final Doom addons.

1 hour ago, JXC said:

Incorrect. You do it through the level select which he main games do have.
Edit: Beaten.

For anyone still concerned, Steam gives you the option to launch in DOSBox when you click play and it still uses the original IWADs so they're still there. I just tested it myself. Basically you're just getting the Unity version for free, whether you want it or not notwithstanding. Nothing to get your jimmies rustled over anyway.

Considering Bethesda's history of routinely dousing their own property with petrol and chucking a lit match at it, I don't blame Dave or anyone else panicking for a moment there hehe.

3 hours ago, JXC said:

pretty sure you can with level select option

Dear lord you all scared me for a second. So the DOSBox versions are still there? That's kinda cool, having both versions (plus other better source ports). Doubt I'll ever play the Unity version, but it's kind of nice to have the option regardless.

11 hours ago, ayrton2222 said:

is there no point to buying final doom anymore if the port comes with tnt and plutonia?

On Steam you can only buy all the classic Doom games at once, not individually. So you get everything regardless.

How do you use Dehacked patches with the Add-Ons (so I can play Doom 4 Vanilla or D2TWID)?

4 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

So is there online cooperation in it or not? I think I prematurely got very happy about the update.

Late reply, but there's something called Local Multiplayer, but I don't know how it works. Remote play is available for both Ult Doom and Doom 2.

3 hours ago, DangerousDave said:

Late reply, but there's something called Local Multiplayer, but I don't know how it works.

Surely you understand what splitscreen is? Because it's that.

By extension, Steam Remote Play Together is just the local splitscreen but video & controller streaming (it's not something you explicitly implement, Steam supports it automatically for indicated games). If you know what remote play is, you must by extension know what it is locally because that's a prerequisite. 

Edited by Edward850

5 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Surely you understand what splitscreen is? Because it's that. 

Splitscreen?  On PC?  Blasphemy ;p

48 minutes ago, guitardz said:

Splitscreen?  On PC?  Blasphemy ;p

It was probably added with console couch co-op in mind and it's just there in PC because it's there. I can't imagine actually using it on PC lol.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:50 AM, JXC said:

Incorrect, I got my ass handed to me in Hangar and Entryway last night on UV+

2 hours ago, Gunstar Green said:

It was probably added with console couch co-op in mind and it's just there in PC because it's there. I can't imagine actually using it on PC lol.

Hey, you'd be surprised how many times I'd want to play a wad in splitscreen with my friends. LZDoom also has couch co-op, but it's MUCH more cumbersome to set up. The obvious advantage there though is a larger pool of mods.

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

Incorrect, I got my ass handed to me in Hangar and Entryway last night on UV+

I realized that I had to go to level select to enable UV+

Any way to make the mouse work? it's hyper sensitive even at the minimum setting. My windows settings are set a neutral. In the new port I mean. Something akin to the "no prescale" options in other ports?

Raw input is being used for mouse input, so Windows mouse sensitivity shouldn't affect it. If your mouse has very high DPI, the slider might not offer enough range, though.

6 minutes ago, RottingZombie said:

Any way to make the mouse work? it's hyper sensitive even at the minimum setting.

For some reason, I noticed that Vsync affects how sensitive the mouse is. Try messing around turning off/on Vsync and see if that makes a difference. Having Vsync on made my mouse way more sensitive for some reason.

@sponge My mouse is set at 800CPI. It's confusing why beth would go out of their way to make a modern port and not consider high dpi mice (mine's not even that high). I hate to complain since it's free and left us the old version, but it irks me when developers just don't seem to 'get it'. Like requiring us to sign in to download wads.. :p Thanks for the tip though. So I guess I could lower the cpi in my software and should be good to go.

@UndeadRyker Thanks, I will try that. I tried with VSync off at first, so I'll try with it on. Can't see myself playing with it on.

All in all, I still have superior ports but I wanted to mess around with this gift we were given.

10 minutes ago, RottingZombie said:

but it irks me when developers just don't seem to 'get it'.

Just FYI, the person you are claiming doesn't seem to 'get it' is Sponge.

Ok messing around a couple minutes... Framerate setting determines my sensitivity. It's unplayable at 30fps, still fast at 60, and feels relatively normal at 120. Still feel a lot of input lag with the keyboard, though it's almost decent at 120fps. Even the menu's responsiveness feels sluggish at 30/60. I thought things being tied to framerate like this was a thing of the past? No new game option from the escape menu?

I'm going to shut up and stop playing this port now. For as much as it baffles me with some of the decisions, it's probably good for the community and hopefully brings some more folks into the fold.

Just now, Edward850 said:

Just FYI, the person you are claiming doesn't seem to 'get it' is Sponge.

Yea, sometimes I just expect developers to align with my preferences, which is unfair :). I have noticed recently I am becoming increasingly stuck on old games and frustrated with newer things. I can still appreciate that these things have quality and an audience, it just may not be me.

Watching people leave negative Steam reviews for what's basically a free bonus bolted on that leaves the original untouched is exhausting.

2 hours ago, Rampy470 said:

Watching people leave negative Steam reviews for what's basically a free bonus bolted on that leaves the original untouched is exhausting.

I'd suggest not reading them then.

This update made me decide, and really it has nothing to do with disapproval of the update but more to do with my own personal organisation issues, just to give up on using the Steam versions as the basis for running GZDoom through and just sticking everything into a portable folder set up to run.

And I really should have done that long before now because it's definitely more efficient. 

The only downside of the update is that the two games go from less than 20 meg each to over 430 megs. I think it's the ogg recording of the soundtrack that causes this. It's not too much of a problem with storage capacity measured in terabytes nowadays, but maybe if your disk is nearly full it can be annoying. But well, you can always download them, copy the wads, and then uninstall.

The upside is that NRFTL is now available to everyone who had Doom II on Steam. No need to buy Doom 3 BFG just for that!

20 hours ago, Gez said:

The only downside of the update is that the two games go from less than 20 meg each to over 430 megs. I think it's the ogg recording of the soundtrack that causes this. It's not too much of a problem with storage capacity measured in terabytes nowadays, but maybe if your disk is nearly full it can be annoying. But well, you can always download them, copy the wads, and then uninstall.

The upside is that NRFTL is now available to everyone who had Doom II on Steam. No need to buy Doom 3 BFG just for that!

not to mention you get Master Levels AND Final Doom for free.