Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soon2bGlue

Should Unity Add-Ons be considered canon?

Nah.

Wads are only canon if you want them to be. Headcanon is fun, but I don't think it qualifies as like... yes, this happened in the Doom timeline, lol.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Official_add-ons

Note that "official" in this context refers to provision of the content by id Software.[2] There has been no statement indicating that the modifications created by the community should be considered canonical story-wise.

That said, what's to stop you from assuming every single wad ever made is canon?

22 minutes ago, Gez said:

That said, what's to stop you from assuming every single wad ever made is canon?

Good-damn! Doomguy sure does got a lot of time on his hands!´

I always consider them canon.

I think the only ones that are definitely canon are the two Final DOOM games and NRFTL. Si6il is also up there, too. The ones that I think would be the last to be considered canon are BTSX. I still consider all of them canon

The Unity add-ons? The megawads? I mean, they're all about shooting demons. I can't imagine choosing one way or the other has any real effect on canon.

I consider Final Doom and maybe Sigil, since I haven't played it, to be canon, I also might consider Plutonia 2. Anything besides those aren't canon. Oh, and just because the Bethesda port has the WADS, it doesn't mean they're canon.

My headcanon is that every WAD ever created exists within its own universe within the Doom multiverse. Reality shattered into countless pieces when the UAC first started screwing around with teleporter technology.

The add-ons can be considered semi-canon as they are selected by iDSoft/Bethesda to be included in a commercial release (for free). Which is still quite the recognition, really. They consider these add-ons to be qualitative enough to be distributed this way.

10 minutes ago, NoXion said:

My headcanon is that every WAD ever created exists within its own universe within the Doom multiverse. Reality shattered into countless pieces when the UAC first started screwing around with teleporter technology.

That's similar to mine which takes a cosmic horror sort of approach.  Many cultures, if not every culture, has envisioned a "Hell" of some sort.  The Hell encountered in Doom is what may well have inspired these tales (in setting), and it's shifting landscapes can fit anything explaining all sorts of variations.  Stormy castles? Mountains of blood and lava? All possible in this place.  A door not meant to be opened, but the UAC opened it, or rather, humanity has a bad habit of opening it every time in every alternate reality we exist in...

41 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

I also might consider Plutonia 2. Anything besides those aren't canon.

In that case, TNT Revilution might be canon.

I don't understand the utility of knowing if they can be canon or not, but I can say that most of the addons were created by this community, and most have no story at all, it's all about gameplay, design and creativity, so the idea of canon is kinda nonsense.

Can Doom make Doctor Who canon like what Soul Calibur did with the Witcher?

My personal preference is that the Doom Slayer is some kind of dimensional traveler, endlessly fighting demons across every fractal reflection of the multiverse. So all wads are canon, why not.

Just a few days ago, John Romero replied respecting of what he considers canon.

image.png.f62604a354559940a407819ba85a78a8.png

If you ask me, I consider them official releases but not necessarily canon, they could fit in a multiverse kinda thing I suppose.
Still, anyone could decide by themselves what fits better for their experience, it's not like Classic Doom has a very deep story.

Going by this logic, we have to consider all of Maximum Doom canon as well.

Yeah, that feeling in your heart says all that needs to be said about that.

4 hours ago, seed said:

No, they are fan made content...

This ^^^

All they are doing is acknowledging the fact that you can't load custom wads on consoles, and so they are packaging some of the higher quality ones to mitigate that shortcoming.

That's all.

7 hours ago, Xerenogan said:

This ^^^

All they are doing is acknowledging the fact that you can't load custom wads on consoles, and so they are packaging some of the higher quality ones to mitigate that shortcoming.

That's all.

I HIGHLY doubt the add-ons exist to highlight that console versions of Doom don't support custom WADS in the traditional sense.

The fact that the effort and care has been put in place to for even a sniff at this sort of thing-and at NO cost, for what essentially is a near 27 year old game in this day in age of gaming is well.... quite frankly jaw dropping.

To answer the OP I consider canon to be a pretty loose word where classic Doom is concerned. It's Doom guy fighting demons in various interesting booby-trap laden labyrinths of evil.

So, the more of that I can get the better be it Add-ons or otherwise.

Edited by Eurisko

I mean if they're part of officual releasee now and Doomguy really did spend God knows how long traveling around in a PTSD-fueled demon-slaughtering rampage after 64 before the Sentinels found him then hey I don't see why not.

What I think is, the existence of 'infinite universes' doesn't mean everything is possible. It just means there's an infinite number of universes.

But, no, here, add-ons are add-ons, they're not canon. Final Doom was also never canon.