Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tony_Danza_the_boss

Does r/Doom make you cringe as much as it makes me?

4 hours ago, Gunstar Green said:

lol, I always get a kick out of this meme but I wonder how many of us 30-40 somethings actually drink Monster. I feel like one sip of the stuff would instantly convert 90% of my aging insides into bloody diarrhea. 

Last time I drank a Monster I was 24 I think.  Didn't destroy my insides but instead that much caffeine and guarana made me feel horrible.  Last time I drank anything like that.  Loved it in my teen years but apparently about 7 years or so was enough to kill my ability to tolerate it...now I just stick to coffee at 32.

I used to drink so much caffeine that my doctor said "You need to stop or you will literally die." Now if I have the slightest amount of caffeine I tweak out.

Reddit is just... huerhuegh. It's just a bunch of people who make posts so that they can get other people to believe it's a good post and pay money to give it a cardboard Metal of Honor. I presumed r/Doom wasn't any different, and I was mostly right. Also, the whole Animal Crossing/Doom stuff is dumb, but it attracts Redditors because juxtaposition involving cute characters and boomer warriors working together or taking each other's place is the cool thing nowadays.

personally its more half cringe half is well fine,i agree that most people on reddit to say the least are annoying but i mean most of it(from my experience on it)isnt really that cringy sure there are plenty of bad and or cringy posts but for me calling it cringy is a bit of an over reaction,or maybe its just because i'm young and new to the community idk

No, because I don't deliberately visit any kind of place for the purpose of cringing or getting pissed/frustrated at something or someone, I choose to avoid it altogether, as evedyone should.

The subreddit definitely isn't for me, but I try not to get too bitchy about people enjoying something that I also like in a way that doesn't align with my own preferences.

13 hours ago, Gunstar Green said:

lol, I always get a kick out of this meme but I wonder how many of us 30-40 somethings actually drink Monster. I feel like one sip of the stuff would instantly convert 90% of my aging insides into bloody diarrhea. 

This is completely off topic but I never understood why Monster was the drink of choice - It made me misunderstand the meme at first, the oldest person I've ever seen drink one of those was about 20, so I thought the meme was about people who just barely left teenhood waxing nostalgic about stuff as though they were old, even though they're basically kids. Maybe that is the point, I'm still not sure.

9 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

Animal Crossing/Doom stuff is dumb

Respectfully disagree, that meme was wholesome, great fun and helped bring people together while the world outside is on fire. Best meme of this awful, awful year thus far.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

This is completely off topic but I never understood why Monster was the drink of choice - It made me misunderstand the meme at first, the oldest person I've ever seen drink one of those was about 20, so I thought the meme was about people who just barely left teenhood waxing nostalgic about stuff as though they were old, even though they're basically kids. Maybe that is the point, I'm still not sure.

I think that was the point of the meme originally but it evolved into representing actual boomers.

The first time i saw the meme i remember it being called "The 30 year old boomer".

Reddit is a trash can. It has some good users, maybe even some good moderators, but as a whole is one of the worst communities on the whole internet.
The karma system is 100% broken, there is ridiculous censorship everywhere, the mods are abusive and break their own rules, you can get banned just because mods dont like you and nobody does anything, there is no moderation of any kind, etc, is a mess.
There is good stuff: art, stuff that people makes, actually intelligent and interesting debates/questions about whatever, but to find that stuff is like searching for a needle in a haystack.
And yeah r/Doom is dumb, nowhere near the quality of the threads that are in here, but there is good stuff there too, sometimes.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:54 PM, Tony_Danza_the_boss said:

Omg rip and tear till it's done so metal guys. Sick mark of the slayer tattoo bro! I haven't seen that a thousand times. DOOT! Lol!!

Seriously, everything about that subreddit is just cringe-inducing. If anything it takes everything cool about Doom and circle-jerks it to the point of it not being cool. The dude-bro mentality of that community and their constant idolization of the slayer and his "badassery" has become so stale. Go on the subreddit right now and tell me how many posts you see of new Slayer tattoos, Caco-pog memes, "you can't just shoot a hole through Mars" quotes, shitty DoomGuy/Slayer cosplays and how many thousands of Doomguy/Daisy sketches you see. Go on, I'll wait. 

Maybe it's just the lack of appreciation for oldschool Doom on the sub, but Doomworld you can at least have pseudo-intellectual discussions on Doom without someone unironically saying omg le Epic Rip and Tear until it's done!!1!

it's reddit. that's it.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:53 PM, TheMightyHeracross said:

In the context of this thread this is a pretty ironic post. :P

Aside from my earlier complaint about the repetitive Doomslayer-as-super-macho-badass memes I don't really see what they've done to warrant such strong hatred. The egregious crime of (sometimes) being mildly annoying? Welcome to the Internet. There's some OK content, like some of the art is actually good, and there was a John Romero AMA recently. Also a lot of it is people asking innocent enough questions about setting up ports and WADs and whatnot. So it's not all bad.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but I wouldn't really consider this thread a circle jerk though. There's a difference between that and having a general consensus. I'm just glad we're not quoting Super Troopers here yet.

On the side note while we're talking about it: Reddit and especially PR on Facebook depict Doom Slayer as a Mary Sue character, promoting the series as a Power Fantasy thing, which gets boring very fast. For the contrast, the manual from the original 1993 Doom even denotes that the Doomguy is you; a featureless character to some extent. I prefer the latter option - along with IWADs and some PWADs, this helps the immersion very much.

8 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

[*gets Doom enemies tattooed over entire body* "wtf is a wad bro"]

Well hey, that's not fair IMO. Doom '16 and Eternal are new games. The originals are over 2 decades old now. This just seems like gatekeeping to me.

7 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Well hey, that's not fair IMO. Doom '16 and Eternal are new games. The originals are over 2 decades old now. This just seems like gatekeeping to me.

Well, if Led Zeppelin released a new album and some kid got a Led Zeppelin tattoo on their face without knowing what Stairway to Heaven is, I think that would be pretty stupid. You're tattooing something on your body and you aren't even aware of/don't understand its history. Not gatekeeping, just uneducated people with poor impulse control.

Is it really that widespread of a problem? Besides, as long as they're willing to learn what a WAD is from a long-term Doomer or read doomwiki.org, it's a self-correcting problem in this community. There are lots of learning resources available.

28 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Well, if Led Zeppelin released a new album and some kid got a Led Zeppelin tattoo on their face without knowing what Stairway to Heaven is, I think that would be pretty stupid. You're tattooing something on your body and you aren't even aware of/don't understand its history. Not gatekeeping, just uneducated people with poor impulse control.

Bruh it's a video game it's not that serious. Like what now, can we not be Wolfenstein fans unless we played the 1981 original Castle Wolfenstein for the Apple II? Can you only get a Tony Montana tattoo if you also watched the 1930's original Scarface film?

Also video games aren't bands. The better comparison would be getting an id Software tattoo or something, which I assure you people who only played the new games are not doing, and probably not the classic Doom fanbase either.

The new Doom games are reboots. Reboots are made to be accessible to a new audience. You don't need to have played the originals to have enjoyed the new games.

17 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Bruh it's a video game it's not that serious. Like what now, can we not be Wolfenstein fans unless we played the 1981 original Castle Wolfenstein for the Apple II? Can you only get a Tony Montana tattoo if you also watched the 1930's original Scarface film?

Also video games aren't bands. The better comparison would be getting an id Software tattoo or something, which I assure you people who only played the new games are not doing, and probably not the classic Doom fanbase either.

Plus, Doom '16 and Eternal are reboots of the Doom franchise. Bands don't get reboots, they make comeback albums, and people who listen to those albums generally are already aware of the band. Whereas reboots are made to be accessible to a new audience. You don't need to have played the originals to have enjoyed the new games.

Bands "reboot" themselves all the time. They reappear after many years of silence, after the last album they released was poorly recieved by their audience (like id going from Doom 3 to Doom 2016) only to release something totally different in style to gain a new audience, maybe appease their old audience and make up for their past failings. Sometimes they even release something with totally new members, just like game developers have a habit of doing. Sometimes they reboot their sound even without past failure. New Opeth is incredibly different from old Opeth, for example. A game is no different than an album, its a piece of art. Developer=game,  band=album.

You can be a fan of anything you want, but if you get a tattoo of something, its safe to assume it is serious to you.

But to answer your question, no, I wouldn't get a Tony Montana tattoo without at least having knowledge of the original Scarface, and no, I wouldn't get a Wolfenstein tattoo without knowing the basic history of Wolfenstein.

You can get a tattoo of anything you want, and I can think it is stupid for any reason I want. This is an example. Also, I'm sure there are plenty of people with id tattoos because they liked Doom Eternal for a couple weeks.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

On 9/4/2020 at 7:47 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

image.png.8368d8b768109b2a858a555825beaf59.png

okay. so? It really isn't that great. You just paused the game at a certain moment. 

This is most of reddit fandom in general. No joke. Look up any subreddit for something you like and you'll see similar content. 

On 9/6/2020 at 2:51 AM, Biodegradable said:

Respectfully disagree, that meme was wholesome, great fun and helped bring people together while the world outside is on fire. Best meme of this awful, awful year thus far.

I agree, Animal Crossing/Doom memes are great.

8 hours ago, Ajora said:

I agree, Animal Crossing/Doom memes are great.

It's the perfect coincidence of the shared release dates, and the great juxtaposition of a cute furry mascot and a violent gun-toting chainsaw-on-legs that makes it, I think. Plus the only positive thing we know about Doomguy's life is that once had a pet rabbit, so of course it's easy to believe he'd get along with this whiskey-throwing secretary dog.

19 hours ago, Michael92 said:

On the side note while we're talking about it: Reddit and especially PR on Facebook depict Doom Slayer as a Mary Sue character, promoting the series as a Power Fantasy thing, which gets boring very fast. For the contrast, the manual from the original 1993 Doom even denotes that the Doomguy is you; a featureless character to some extent. I prefer the latter option - along with IWADs and some PWADs, this helps the immersion very much

I too got pretty sick of some of the community and especially Eternal itself taking every opportunity to jack the player off about  just how stronk and godlike the Doom Slayer is. Like yeah, sure, I actually do really like the idea of Doomguy as his own character with a completely badass hero's journey built over a series of games and community content instead of a blank self-insert for the player, but take your hands off my dick and just let me punch/shoot demons.

Edited by Komenja

Have you seen the everything else sub forum here? 99% of it is posts about is this game harder than doom 1 and comments pretending it is the hardest game ever.