Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdagenet

Wretched - Doom 64 Custom Map

Very nice map! Reminds me a bit of Kaiser's style in his re-release bonus maps! By that I mean the map looked great. I played it on "Watch Me Die!" difficulty and it felt about right considering the difficulty of Doom 64 and the bonus maps on that setting. Took me a half hour to beat it (not including reloading from save, but I didn't do a lot of quicksaving), 100% kills, 40% secrets.

Spoiler talk below!

Spoiler

I liked the pistol start pressure with the imps and zombiemen. Really had to fight your way out of the room and good placement of that blue armor to soften the pistol start difficulty. The progression was pretty clear. Nice placement of switches such that you could see what they did, and if not there was a clear flashing signal when you exited the room.

Overall good progression of weapons on the map. Having the lost souls spawn when you get the chaingun is good. If any of those steam users who complain about lost souls play this map, they will learn what the chaingun is good for and not to super shotgun absolutely everything haha.

Onto more enemy stuff! When I started seeing the nightmare enemies, I didn't know what I was looking at first, but then I realized, its a fun tactic. Never guessed I would see a nightmare arachnotron! Very clever blocking the exit with nightmare pinkies after the blue key pick up. Hell knight and pain elementals are a nasty combo (one enemy good with missiles/shotgun while other good with chaingun). But you could have been nastier and did a baron + pain elemental combo, so I am thankful for that :D . Before that fight I doubled back and picked up the rocket launcher which spawned spiders. Not sure if I missed it exiting, or if I skipped a progression point there, but I definitely needed it! I ended up triggering the knights and elementals to spawn in, and running to the door to door war them with the missile launcher (otherwise they spanked me haha).

Considering secrets, I found one of the mega armors, good lighting on the wall to signify it. And I like that silent switch by the health pick up to spawn in a backpack.

Oh nice pain elemental on the exit haha. Reminds me of the Doom 64 map with all of the arachnotrons, then they have an arachnotron at the exit. Always love that gag! :D

I played it on the new Doom 64 port and launched it with ZDL, and had a great time. After I beat the level it crashed trying to load the next level. Not sure if it was something to do with ZDL, or the wad organization. Doesn't really matter though since its a single map :).

I didn't recognize the music, was it a custom midi? Fit well with the thunder!

Oh and if you ever want a custom MP3 (or better OGG, since the new port supports them!) for a map:
Feel free to use any of my tracks: https://immorpher.bandcamp.com/
And I am sure @Bouncy would let you use one of theirs too: https://bouncytem.bandcamp.com/

Great job and I hope you make more (and update this topic)!

Edited by Immorpher : Reducing multiple posts by editing my original.

Thanks for playing, @Immorpher!

10 hours ago, Immorpher said:

After I beat the level it crashed trying to load the next level. Not sure if it was something to do with ZDL, or the wad organization.

Yeah apparently the MAPINFO overrides the entire game's MAPINFO, so since there was no nextmap... Just sort of crashed, something I didn't know :P

10 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I didn't recognize the music, was it a custom midi? Fit well with the thunder!

It's the track used for Terror Core. Very ambient piece, worked really well with the thunder specifically.

I am brainstorming another map right now hopefully I can put together, but yeah thanks for the feedback!

I played it on the new Doom 64 port. Very cool! Really feels and looks like something out of the original D64 as opposed to Doom or Doom II. Fun to play, very pleasant layout. I played it on skill #3 and a couple of traps did kick my ass.

Spoiler

The Mancubi ambush after picking up a key caught me at my weakest, but admittedly, it's not that difficult in retrospect. What I did find a bit too complicated to handle is the Pain Elemental/Hell Knight attack after crossing the red door. As I recall it, the Knights blocked the path leading to the next door, and the Elementals, along with the rapidly spawning Lost Souls, blocked the way back. I bit the dust there. But I was playing with saves, anyway.

Happy to read you're making another map. I'd play a whole megawad of them.

18 hours ago, mattjoes said:

Very cool! Really feels and looks like something out of the original D64

That's the idea. I really do enjoy the original levels how they look, play, and progress so I try to incorporate those traits in my maps.

18 hours ago, mattjoes said:

Happy to read you're making another map. I'd play a whole megawad of them.

I'd never be able to finish a megawad :P but hopefully every now and then I can release little maps here and there.

15 hours ago, Rex705 said:

Download not working for me :(

Yeah follow Immorpher's link and that should line you out on how to load this up. Though in short you either need a .BAT file in the same directory as your Doom 64 executable that launches the game with the wad included, or just use ZDL.

17 minutes ago, jdagenet said:

That's the idea. I really do enjoy the original levels how they look, play, and progress so I try to incorporate those traits in my maps.

I'd never be able to finish a megawad :P but hopefully every now and then I can release little maps here and there.

Yeah follow Immorpher's link and that should line you out on how to load this up. Though in short you either need a .BAT file in the same directory as your Doom 64 executable that launches the game with the wad included, or just use ZDL.

Perhaps we can get those who participated in Doom 64 Community Chest, and the authors of Beta 64 and complexe to participate in a megawad?

Oh and I volunteer for any map testing if needed for future maps :D !

This is an amazing level, but it crashes at the end; i play it in Doom64EX 2.5 and Doom64 Steam and its the same when the level finish it crash, but i found a way, and the game dont crash anymore, just download the same wad with the correction

wretched64.7z

On 4/6/2020 at 5:28 PM, jdagenet said:

17 hours ago, irukanjji said:

This is an amazing level, but it crashes at the end; i play it in Doom64EX 2.5 and Doom64 Steam and its the same when the level finish it crash, but i found a way, and the game dont crash anymore, just download the same wad with the correction

wretched64.7z

Um, I'm not asking how to play it I'm asking how to download the map. As I said the link does not work.

Thanks irukanjji for a working download.

Edited by Rex705

It works for me, but the wad has a problem it crashs at the end, download mine, the problem its solved

Bump! This is really cool. I didn't even know I needed custom Doom 64 maps until now. Where can I get more?

Ty @irukanjji! Sadly, looks like that forum is completely dead. Won't stop me from harvesting its organs for WADs to play, though!

@jdagenet can you create an idgames-style .txt file to go along with your WAD? My autism demands it.

Edited by Hard2Poop

1 hour ago, Hard2Poop said:

can you create an idgames-style .txt file to go along with your WAD? My autism demands it.

Does it need one?

On 4/4/2020 at 12:21 AM, jdagenet said:
  Reveal hidden contents

uCDlaap.png
ueSGPbn.png
NCp6Z69.png
0N9gSUN.png
2KDtSsl.png
jFmTmeI.png
AOUaqd3.png
hwckt0H.png
ISnTBy2.png

feedback would be appreciated! 

I really like this map. I like how each weapon, the shotgun, chaingun, SSG, and rocket launcher each have a challenge you must complete in order to acquire them. I like the overall length as well - it takes a fair amount of time to grind a UV-fast no-saves run. I would love to play more! The original Doom 64 levels feel like babby's first map compared to this.

Only criticism I have is there doesn't seem to be difficulty settings implemented. There is WAY too much ammo on the map, so you could add a lot more filler enemies like imps and cacos on UV without risking ruining the ammo balance on the map.

5 hours ago, RonnieColeman said:

I really like this map. I like how each weapon, the shotgun, chaingun, SSG, and rocket launcher each have a challenge you must complete in order to acquire them. I like the overall length as well - it takes a fair amount of time to grind a UV-fast no-saves run. I would love to play more! The original Doom 64 levels feel like babby's first map compared to this.

Only criticism I have is there doesn't seem to be difficulty settings implemented. There is WAY too much ammo on the map, so you could add a lot more filler enemies like imps and cacos on UV without risking ruining the ammo balance on the map.

Hey I appreciate it!

I’m actually a big fan of the original Doom 64 levels so of course my levels don’t even come close in my opinion, but thank you!

Doom 64’s levels have traps all over the place that keeps the player on their toes. I feel this is a really great way to keep the player engaged and interested in actually working through your map for a reward, so I try to implement these same things in any map I work on.

Yeah, no difficulty settings. It needs to have them but I’m usually just to lazy to implement them. I just test everything on the highest difficulty and go off of that since I know anything lower is guaranteed to be balanced.

Hey, how do you get monsters to spawn green and translucent?

I noticed while playing this map in the Steam port, there are a select few monsters that spawn with double health, and they appear bright green and translucent, but in D64EX, they appear as normal monsters. Did you use DoomBuilder64 for this?

Edited by RonnieColeman

3 hours ago, RonnieColeman said:

Hey, how do you get monsters to spawn green and translucent?

I noticed while playing this map in the Steam port, there are a select few monsters that spawn with double health, and they appear bright green and translucent, but in D64EX, they appear as normal monsters. Did you use DoomBuilder64 for this?

Yup, in Doom Builder 64 there’s a flag you can tick for monsters that turns them into Nightmare variants. Double health, faster projectile speed (if they have any), and of course the green palette translation. I’m somewhat surprised they don’t appear green in EX since the Steam port is derived from EX. I’d imagine all the other stuff still applies though like the increased health and all that?

Also for anyone that might be interested I am currently working on another map to release. It’s tech/space themed.

I would guess it basically makes it into existing Nightmare Imp just with double the health and probably green. Haven’t tried it though.

I'm curious: how do you go about making Remaster-compatible maps for Doom 64? I heard there's some special finicking you gotta do with it in order for it to work, could you go into detail?