Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBM

GzDOOM-1 - GZDoom community project experiment - project abandoned

EDIT: since this project is close to failing, all rules and deadlines are now no longer in effect, only remaining rules are...

must be gzdoom doom2 udmf and no custom sprites

Welcome to GZ-Doom-1 (GeeZee Doooom minus one)

EDIT.... zdoom forum collaboration.... zdoom thread:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69560&p=1162083#p1162083

This is inspired by the Doom-1 thread

This will be the same concept... EXCEPT... that this will aim for GZDoom compatibility and thus will use ALL the cool stuff allowed by GZDoom

The map to kick this off... will be a barebones map with just a 3D tower and not much more...

BUT.... it's only the base of possibly the best, hardest, weirdest and coolest community WAD ever.

THIS IS a social experiment, ANYONE who wants to can edit the map/project/assets/etc.
You can add enemies, secrets, additional levels, etc.. After that, you can post a reply with the edited WAD file, and then the next person can edit. This continues until December 21st, after that, the WAD will be officially published.

RULES

Any personal logos and the like is restricted to secret areas and the last map that will be a credits map (learned this from the doom-1 project)

No adding dumb stuff. If it does nothing good or funny or is just really dumb, then it shouldn't be there.

Compatibility is restricted to UDMF, DOOM2, GZDoom.

Custom music, text and textures are fine.

It has to be a working level with a start and finish, making it impossible for UVMAX and Pacifist gameplay is ok, but it needs to be at least possible for a player to complete the level.

Dynamic lightning should be used when possible.

Have a good time, and teamwork is important.

grab the starting map here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gj0g2vxwbag6xvd/GzDoomNegONE.wad?dl=0

gz-doom-1.png

there have been talk about a commen mapset to kick off 3 types of -1 projects... and it might be fun... but we can still do our own thing as well with thi project :D

Edited by CBM

8 hours ago, CBM said:

...but monsters and items should be 3D models.

Modmakers who can work with 3D models can be counted on the fingers.

And the author's competence in supervising this project raises serious doubts at all.

54 minutes ago, Doomenator said:

Modmakers who can work with 3D models can be counted on the fingers.

And the author's competence in supervising this project raises serious doubts at all.

If you do not want to participate in this, then nobody is forcing your hand.

Besides... Obj files are very easy to use and MD2 and MD3 files are also when you learn how.

I even made a tool in ansi-c, that automatically generates modeldefs for MD2 models....

MD2ModelDef

at some point, I will be doing an MD3ModelDef tool as well

Ah you finally moved this over to DW! O have to agree with the 3D models aspect of the project - I think many would prefer the flat sprite style that many of us have come to love in the past years. Plus you have other caveats such as hardware capabilities, etc.

Like before, I'll watch from a distance to see how this plays out. I wish you luck!

6 minutes ago, Athel said:

Ah you finally moved this over to DW! O have to agree with the 3D models aspect of the project - I think many would prefer the flat sprite style that many of us have come to love in the past years. Plus you have other caveats such as hardware capabilities, etc.

Like before, I'll watch from a distance to see how this plays out. I wish you luck!

Well. The main thing would be the creation of limit removing GZDoom UDMF maps

But I do not Think people are interested in this project.

I Guess for 3D monsters people can always load up a 3D monster pack like Vanilla or chasm

I think one of the main things behind the lack of interest is that -1 is still ongoing - I would have waited until it's been released.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be of much help with this project, as my level editor of choice doesn't support UDMF format. However, I wish you the best of luck!

As nightmare said Doom -1 (i mean negativeone) is still development and i think this is good idea but not for now (You can start diffrent community project like 10 sectors wad and 1000 lines[not the same of course]) anyway good luck

On 9/3/2020 at 9:58 AM, waciej said:

Doom -1 (i mean negativeone)

Actually, it's Doom -1, not NegativeOne. Anyway, I think this is an amazing idea, but I think the 3D model thing is a bit weird.

17 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Actually, it's Doom -1, not NegativeOne. Anyway, I think this is an amazing idea, but I think the 3D model thing is a bit weird.

I removed it from the rules and put this on hold until we finish doom-1

:-)

oh yeah this could be great!

...but monsters and items should be 3D models.

nevermind, this one restriction doomed this

7 minutes ago, KILLA DIO said:

oh yeah this could be great!

nevermind, this one restriction doomed this

I actually removed that from the rules

1 minute ago, CBM said:

I actually removed that from the rules

even still i feel like you should have waited like a yeah after doom-1 was completed before creating this

Just now, KILLA DIO said:

even still i feel like you should have waited like a yeah after doom-1 was completed before creating this

true and therefore it is on hold until after doom-1 is done

3 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Time to reboot this project? Doom -1 is released now.

its time :D

I will be posting 3D MD3 monsters and items for GZDoom-1 over the next few days in this thread while awaiting the first mapping submissions :)

--------------------------------------

to start off we can just use dropbox, google drive etc.. like in doom-1

but suggestions have been made regarding making a github repo.,.. that could be a fine idea and if anyone wish to create such a repo then feel free to do so

usefull links...

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=69853

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=70135

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=d534d465f71e24aa2ab342d5d2dd9cee

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/53-editing-tutorials/

corona macrovirus:

coronamacrovirusenemy.jpg

model made by me in maverick, animations made by me in maverick, GZDoom code written by me and finally

textures are made by me for an old win 98 game I made long ago

I have not made any sounds for this monster, but I might be able to find some free sounds somewhere

this model uses just 2 out of 4470 textures I made between 1998 and 2006

I'm considering added some of the textures as wall textures as well

And I am considering altering the attack of this monster to this:

cloud emitted from the animated stocks, cloud particles attacking by morphing players and monsters in to corona macro virus monsters, death explosion of cloud particles that can morph players and monsters in to corona macro virus monsters

not the most exciting or best looking nor best made monster thus far.. but better than nothing... grab it here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cn2cqd71lfyg7xf/gzdoom-neg-one-corona-monster.pk3?dl=0

currently still just floats around and makes melee attacks like a floating demon

---

still have problems with figuring out some config files so the monster currently only works if you summon it directly while in the game... if anyone can help with this then please let me know

(when placing corona on a map, the game claims it has no frames, but still works fine when summoned from console... ie.. summon corona)

Edited by CBM

Alrighty, here we go! Let me repost my lessons learned list so newcomers can see it...

1: When making a completely new map, or making major changes to one, ALWAYS test it to make sure it's beatable

2: Use the check mark box in Ultimate Doombuilder to analyze each map, this will check for problems such as missing textures (HoMs)

3: If a new map is added, always update the MAPINFO lumps, however many there are. This includes adding title patches for intermissions

4: Once a few days or weeks have passed, try out each level in the wad. See if you can spot anything you think needs changing

5: For the love of God, try to find some new sky textures!

ok... so mr floaty corona macro virus monster is now fully working.. also in editor etc

link to monster:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itj6p8lgzxsfwte/CRNAmonster.PK3?dl=0

link to monster + test map with monster and player1 start (ie. crnamonster pk3 with map01.wad file added):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2w72tpu20d0ly4/CRNATEST.PK3?dl=0

still uses default sounds

crnamacrovirus.jpg

I will start hunting for sky textures

found some here: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=53873

Edited by CBM

9 minutes ago, waciej said:

Okayyyy so  can i add some layout to map 1? or just wait to your c h a n g e s?

go ahead, you can make changes :D

No offence but i think the better idea is starting like doom -1 (i mean 2 room and secret)

10 minutes ago, waciej said:

No offence but i think the better idea is starting like doom -1 (i mean 2 room and secret)

Agreed. Working on levels first sounds better than fiddling with GZDoom stuff, at least for now

well there are several levels that can form a basis for this project. the castle level- the tower level and the single room level that has the new monster so take your pick

I will also do mapping but I will also have fun with 3d objects on the side since this is gzdoom afterall

new deadline for mapping december 20 2020

after that it is bugfixing from january 9th 2021 to juli 1st 2021

after this the project will release on juli 1st 2021

current version is 0.1

atm I am scratching my custom MD3 monster itch, by working on a space crusade GZDoom TC... just made a bunch of marines, chaos marines and mutated marines with various guns..

It will be interesting to see if anyone is going to continue editing on GZDoom-1 and make a version 0.2

9 hours ago, CBM said:

after that it is bugfixing from january 9th 2021 to juli 1st 2021

Its me, or are more time of bugfixing than time of mapping?

21 minutes ago, URROVA said:

Its me, or are more time of bugfixing than time of mapping?

based on my experience from software development... bugfixing always needs more time than the actual development :D

I assumed the same applies for megawads

but ok...

new deadline for adding new maps december 20 2020

after that it is map completion from january 9th 2021 to may 1st 2021

then bugfixing from may 2nd 2021 to juli 1st 2021

after this the project will release on juli 1st 2021

---

this will give us (3+5) 8 months of map development before the 3 month bugfix period

Edited by CBM