Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old-Doomguy

Do you guys even lift?

Yes! At least, before the virus shut down the gyms for months on end. It SUCKS not going. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Yes! At least, before the virus shut down the gyms for months on end. It SUCKS not going. 

Are they still closed?

Here in Sweden pretty much nothing got closed, so we ended up being the covid death capital of the world. 

But us that have at least half a brain doesn't go to the gym or other crowded areas as often even though they weren't closed down. 

13 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

We live about 1200km from each other and we meet once every five years (because he never wanted to leave the computer). He was almost 200kg.

So is this guy, but that doesn't stop him from dominating all the weights and mogging everyone at the gym:

Play basketball and walk daily, also chase a toddler around the house. Have always weighed around 100kg.

11 hours ago, Endless said:

I'm on the same boat thanks to good-old-fucking-coronavirus.

Yeah. We have lovingly called it COVID Bloat or Furlough Flab.

I'm also being bitten in the arse in the last couple of years by a bad motorbike crash I had 30-odd years ago. Various muscles are getting stiffer and more likely to tear in my chest, back and obliques as a result of the chest injuries I had back then.

Passed my 50th birthday and it all goes to shit.

Oh yeah, kids as well.

I lift several glasses of wine every evening.

On a more serious note, I do some basic fitness exercises most days and regularly MTB.

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

9 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

No, I don't lift. I prefer cycling - during summer 1500-2000km per month. No, I didn't lose weight, but I also didn't gain any since I started.

Those 10kg from my early computing years will probably never go away anymore... :(

Same with me, except that I don't cycle nearly as long due to the hilly terrain. Half of it is gruelling climbing (testing my endurance), half of it joyful but intense descent (testing my riding attention).

I smoke too much to ever get fat. Also fast metabolism and healthy food. (oh, and booze). 

Never did exercise, much less they gym, both because I've never liked it and also because I don't have that much free time as it is, I used to leave home at 8am and arrive at 8pm, plus about 8h sleep, meaning I have about 4 hours of "me time" when things are normal. Now I get more sleep and I'm free as soon as I leave work, which gives me a couple more hours a day for myself. 

The only exercise I do is walking, I enjoy it a lot and whenever I can I walk to places, always have, so I have some really defined leg muscles and then no (visible) muscles anywhere else in the body.

I lift every 3 months or more because I really strained my arm/shoulder muscles practicing reptile combos.  It was worth it because UMK3 is one of my childhood games.  It is most of my childhood as well.

No “official” exercise for me :-D

That said, one of my hobbies is blacksmithing / blade smithing / metal working which is definitely a good workout :-P

However, work has been killing me the last few months and find myself not getting out the back much these days :-(

11 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Those 10kg from my early computing years will probably never go away anymore

I used to think this, but over the course of the last year I've lost nearly 20kg (3 stone, or 42 lbs if you prefer) almost entirely from dietary changes. :)

I've somehow always managed to stay around 60-70 Kg, which at a height of 6'2" is just hovering above the Underweight range, if I remember BMI correctly. This is in spite of my highly variable and possibly quite crap diet, and the fact I sit on my ass all day at work and at home.

Suits me, because I fucking hate exercise, at least the kind that consists of mindless plugging away every week at repetitious movements. If other people can get something good out of sort of thing, great, but it really ain't for me. It just bores me and leaves me in physical pain. People say they get an endorphin rush or something from exercise, but not me apparently. I much prefer mountain climbing and hill walking, but given where I live, I am only able to enjoy such activities while away on holiday.

I suppose I should be doing at least something physical, but I find it really hard to think of something that A) I can actually do in my local area and B) won't bore me shitless and thus cause me to stop doing it. No point doing regular exercise if I can't find the motivation to keep doing it long enough to benefit.

I have been thinking about buying a conversion kit and building my own electric bike, which would actually be fun to use, and would at least get me doing something outside.

I lifted regularly for about 2 years until corona hit and shut everything, it completely smashed my routine and I haven't been able to get back properly since. I'm also eating a lot less since I can't get out much so I can't push my body as much or my muscles and joints start wearing out faster than they can repair. I still enjoy it, but it's been 6 months since I was able to do proper sets every week, so I'm mostly just sitting on my ass waiting for a bit of normalcy to creep back into life.

Anyway I strongly recommend at least a bit of regular lifting for anyone who sits at a desk a lot, I had horrible back and shoulder pain for a number of years due to slowly losing mobility in my spine and ribs until everything was locked together, and overhead press is the only thing that was able to bring it back. My knee and hip mobility also increased hugely from regular squatting. Joints are like everything else, use them or lose them.

I try to run for at least 20 minutes every other day on the elliptical. After that I do pushups - usually in sets of 10. That's been keeping me from being lazy and on the computer during all of my spare time.

I used to have a workout routine that I did 5-6 days a week, mostly to just keep my muscles in check more than anything else. Bought a pair of 4kg dumbbells some years ago, and I incorporate about half a dozen different exercises with them into it. Too bad the dumbbells are about 200km away from my current location.

Nowadays, I mostly walk.

Did not really exercise until a couple of months ago. Not because I wanted to get in shape, but because I wanted to get some interaction with other people and also because cramming for the master's thesis made me almost go insane. That coupled with the sudden existential crisis of 'what the f**k do I do after this?' mentally strained me.

Figured I needed a change, so I bought a pair of running shoes and joined a local running club. Though I hated running, but I love every training. A week ago we did 10 km in one go (no walking), something I never thought I could do. So yeah, not really because of physical shape but my mental state has improved considerably. On days I don't run I do simple in-apartment exercises. Mind and body are connected though, and even if my physical shape has not improved much (besides legs I guess) my self-worth has.

1 hour ago, Pechudin said:

Did not really exercise until a couple of months ago. Not because I wanted to get in shape, but because I wanted to get some interaction with other people and also because cramming for the master's thesis made me almost go insane. That coupled with the sudden existential crisis of 'what the f**k do I do after this?' mentally strained me.

Figured I needed a change, so I bought a pair of running shoes and joined a local running club. Though I hated running, but I love every training. A week ago we did 10 km in one go (no walking), something I never thought I could do. So yeah, not really because of physical shape but my mental state has improved considerably. On days I don't run I do simple in-apartment exercises. Mind and body are connected though, and even if my physical shape has not improved much (besides legs I guess) my self-worth has.

Hey that's fantastic. You feel better so that's a win. Apparently a really great exercise for you! Looks don't matter, if you'd wanted to be Arnold you would already be spending 5hr a day at the gym. 

You have to enjoy it and it has to fit your goals. 

Lifting has never really appealed to me personally. I think partly it's something to do with the dude-bro attitude it seems to bring out in some people. Even the OP is a little guilty of it: all this "do you even lift?" And "I have unlimited power!" just makes me roll my eyes. 

It's also because for me, exercise where the act of doing the exercise is the goal unto itself I find just tremendously boring. Unless there's something more to it than simply getting healthier my brain just goes to sleep. 

The only way I can find the motivation to exercise is if I combine it with a genuinely enjoyable activity, that just happens to be a workout. Hiking, white water rafting, river swimming, rock climbing, that kind of stuff.

Rock climbing especially is, in my opinion, the perfect exercise. It's a full body workout, it's as much as mental challenge as a physical one, it's something you can tangibly get better at over time so there's a real sense of progression, and there's the constant threat of major bodily harm. What's there not to love?

4 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Lifting has never really appealed to me personally. I think partly it's something to do with the dude-bro attitude it seems to bring out in some people. Even the OP is a little guilty of it: all this "do you even lift?" And "I have unlimited power!" just makes me roll my eyes. 

It's also because for me, exercise where the act of doing the exercise is the goal unto itself I find just tremendously boring. Unless there's something more to it than simply getting healthier my brain just goes to sleep. 

The only way I can find the motivation to exercise is if I combine it with a genuinely enjoyable activity, that just happens to be a workout. Hiking, white water rafting, river swimming, rock climbing, that kind of stuff.

Rock climbing especially is, in my opinion, the perfect exercise. It's a full body workout, it's as much as mental challenge as a physical one, it's something you can tangibly get better at over time so there's a real sense of progression, and there's the constant threat of major bodily harm. What's there not to love?

Hey mate 

The "do you even lift" is irony which you should've noticed due to the fact that I'm doing compound excersise rather than bro splits, and no bragging whatsoever except the ridiculous claim that I've got unlimited power. The "unlimited power" is a joke from Star wars ep 3. 

Lifting is only one type of exercise and there are several others. 

But I didn't mean to act like a fucking asshole, I wanted to share some of the benefits I personally and my brother has seen. I'm 34 and started exercise not one year ago so I'm the least bro-dude you would find in the gym. 

I just want everyone to feel healthy. 

36 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

I lift in C.

If you count your reps backward it shaves off an instruction.

Noice. Do you other bros even code, bro?

It's great to not be a douchebag, and to make it this far in life with virtually no experience with one-upmanship.

I started going to gym when i turned 16 and almost 20 years later with a BSc in Sports and Exercise Science later I'm still going strong. I love lifting heavy things and putting them back in the same place :D

But I will say that any exercise is good exercise. Not just for physical but also mental health (arguably more important for mental health). Exercise also correlates massively with quality of life in your later years (eg increased bone density in the elderly leading to less hip breakages which is a major mortality risk on the over 65s). The key is to find something you enjoy. If you enjoy it, you will keep doing it. @Bauul is a good example of someone who has found something fun to keep himself fit and healthy. Be it going to the gym, running, hiking, rock climbing, swimming in the sea or playing sports with mates get up and do something. Future you will thank you for it

2 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

But I didn't mean to act like a fucking asshole, I wanted to share some of the benefits I personally and my brother has seen. I'm 34 and started exercise not one year ago so I'm the least bro-dude you would find in the gym. 

I just want everyone to feel healthy. 

You weren't acting like an asshole or anything like that.  I just think that because lifting has this reputation of being a bit brah-brah-brah, one has to be a bit careful when advocating for it that you don't fall into the stereotype.  A great many people have gym-apprehension for exactly this reason, so avoiding language like that when talking about it is an important step.

As an example, you say:

2 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

no bragging whatsoever

And yet you also say stuff like this:

On 9/9/2020 at 11:34 AM, Old-Doomguy said:

I can now do over a 100 pushups per day and plank till I fall asleep of boredom.

It's a tricky balance between being inspiring and bragging.

I'm thrilled you're feeling so positive about it all though.  While 34 really isn't old at all, it is definitely true that our bodies take longer to react to exercise in our 30s than they did in our 20s, so good on you for pushing through!  And especially awesome your brother is keeping up with it, as it sounds like he definitely benefits from it.

While the whole "do you even lift" bro culture is definitely a thing, it is more prevalent at a certain type of gym. I've seen very little of it but I try to use fairly low key community style gyms with a positive atmosphere. I think it's also less common here than in somewhere like the US. 

13 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

Here in Sweden pretty much nothing got closed, so we ended up being the covid death capital of the world. 

But us that have at least half a brain doesn't go to the gym or other crowded areas as often even though they weren't closed down. 

i find that carelessness disturbing. just let people have some common sense and don't go to the gym.

i did running and calisthenics during the shutdown, and felt well. then i switched to a small gym recently where i can work out late almost alone. still felt sore enough after the break, so there's nothing wrong about varied training. my previous gym was the biggest in town, so more chance of running into someone with the virus, especially with some yokels who train there.

Do I do anything else but lift? Ok, I lay on the sofa on my rest days and eat too much chocolate. I go to the gym 3 days a week now that I'm no longer sick and the gyms are open. If the gyms weren't open, then I'd have dumbbells at home that I can adjust the weight from 2.5kg to 17.5kg. The gym I've been going to now, has had a pretty good atmosphere, at least no one's ever insulted me there. Sometimes someone might even compliment me there on something, but usually it's just someone asking if I was using some equipment.

Current records (year ago these were about half of what they are now):

Bench Press: 70kg 1 rep, 60kg 5 reps

Lady Butterfly: 80kg 1 rep, 60kg 5 reps

Shoulder Press: 45kg 2 reps, 40kg 7 reps

Clean & Push: 55kg 1 rep

Squat: 60kg 6 reps (about 3 weeks ago 60kg made me fall on my butt/back to get the weight off)

Leg Press: 229kg 10 reps (yet I couldn't get 245kg even once, huh)

Dumbbell Bicep Curl: 15kg 15 reps (this is pretty much main series, haven't tried max with these)

Dumbbell Kickback: 15kg 15 reps (this is getting pretty easy)

Usually I'm doing some 3 to 5 series aiming to do at least 5 repeats and max 15. If I can get around 10 repeats with some weight, then I'll see what happens with a bit more, until I start to get 10 repeats with that bit more.

And I'm 177.5cm and 73.5kg.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

You weren't acting like an asshole or anything like that.  I just think that because lifting has this reputation of being a bit brah-brah-brah, one has to be a bit careful when advocating for it that you don't fall into the stereotype.  A great many people have gym-apprehension for exactly this reason, so avoiding language like that when talking about it is an important step.

As an example, you say:

And yet you also say stuff like this:

It's a tricky balance between being inspiring and bragging.

I'm thrilled you're feeling so positive about it all though.  While 34 really isn't old at all, it is definitely true that our bodies take longer to react to exercise in our 30s than they did in our 20s, so good on you for pushing through!  And especially awesome your brother is keeping up with it, as it sounds like he definitely benefits from it.

Okay yeah it sure could look like bragging but I didn't mean it that way. What I was aiming for is that I could only do 3 or 4 and now I can do 100 which is pretty average, but fully doable for most people that are in a similar position as I was. What's good about those pushups isn't really the strength or endurance but rather the fact that I can do it without pain. 

I've had severe back pains, I couldn't even lean over my babies crib for more than a few minutes without my back killing me. Those pains are gone now and I feel proud over that - being able to be a better father  n

I am skinny but I never go to gym and always on computer since a little child. Fortunately I have a good metabolism. Also, It's difficult to over-eat, when I'm full my body forces me to stop (with some exceptions to carbs and desserts).

Also what helped my health is during my 20s I got shitty jobs that involved lots of walking, or in high school I had many flights of stairs to regularly climb and so there always were some form of involuntarily exercises to keep me somewhat fit, with big help of my youth.

I'm in my early 30s now and move much less with office work. Only do some minor walking related to travelling to / from work. But Covid hit and now I've been working from home for months... man, I mowed the lawn the other day and several parts of my body was sore for days! Granted the lawn was a bit wet and pushing against some tilted terrain was tough, but never have I felt so weak. On occasion I now go for 30 minute walks or 10 to 15 push-ups (that's my limit on one go) to try maintain some health.

The moral of the story is - I don't exercise but I really need to do commit to a regular routine, even if it's minor. Otherwise if this keeps up, I will be screwed as my youth depletes.

6 hours ago, Chezza said:

I am skinny but I never go to gym and always on computer since a little child. Fortunately I have a good metabolism. Also, It's difficult to over-eat, when I'm full my body forces me to stop (with some exceptions to carbs and desserts).

Also what helped my health is during my 20s I got shitty jobs that involved lots of walking, or in high school I had many flights of stairs to regularly climb and so there always were some form of involuntarily exercises to keep me somewhat fit, with big help of my youth.

I'm in my early 30s now and move much less with office work. Only do some minor walking related to travelling to / from work. But Covid hit and now I've been working from home for months... man, I mowed the lawn the other day and several parts of my body was sore for days! Granted the lawn was a bit wet and pushing against some tilted terrain was tough, but never have I felt so weak. On occasion I now go for 30 minute walks or 10 to 15 push-ups (that's my limit on one go) to try maintain some health.

The moral of the story is - I don't exercise but I really need to do commit to a regular routine, even if it's minor. Otherwise if this keeps up, I will be screwed as my youth depletes.

Yeah when we don't go to the job anymore we spend even less time being active. It's great to do 15 pushups, but do more than one set. Maybe to 3-4 sets of pushups and it will increase upper body strength. You could also do some squats and lunges without weights and then you'll have a full body workout in 15 minutes.