Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DCG Retrowave

Harmless Pain Elementals? - A Happy DOOM Adventure (Vanilla DOOM II-compatible mod)

Is it just me or is the pain elemental sitting on the toilet completely stuck? It can't seem to move away like in the video but rather keeps spinning on top of the keycard.

Tested with GZDoom g4.4.2 and PrBoom 2.5.1.4.

13 minutes ago, Mara said:

Is it just me or is the pain elemental sitting on the toilet completely stuck? It can't seem to move away like in the video but rather keeps spinning on top of the keycard.

Tested with GZDoom g4.4.2 and PrBoom 2.5.1.4.

The switch in the arcade frees him from the invisible wall around the toilet.  That's why I didn't get the key when I was in there the first time.  The invisible wall for that Pain Elemental is a little more obvious in the original map from DOOM 87, since he's one of the only Pain Elementals in that map :D

This video showcases the trapped Pain Elemental.

I hope this info helps!  Let me know how the happy DOOM adventure goes :D

11 hours ago, DCG Retrowave said:

I recommend using DOOM2P.EXE (Doom II Plus) if you want to use vanilla on DOS because saving your game will most likely crash vanilla (it did every time I tried) and many sprites won't be visible due to vanilla's 128 sprite limit.

Ah, just a minor suggestion: The mod type should be changed to limit-removing because using an alternate DOS executable is already not true vanilla and will imply that the mod won't work well in vanilla-authentic ports like Chocolate Doom.

Nonetheless, interesting stuff.

15 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Ah, just a minor suggestion: The mod type should be changed to limit-removing because using an alternate DOS executable is already not true vanilla and will imply that the mod won't work well in vanilla-authentic ports like Chocolate Doom.

Nonetheless, interesting stuff.

Good point.  I guess I consider it vanilla because the DeHackEd changes are truly vanilla.  It's just the high number of Pain Elementals in the map, but other vanilla maps like Scythe's MAP26 break the sprite limit as well.  Limit-removing to me is something that would crash vanilla with a visplane overflow or constantly suffer from HOM due to the maxseg limit.  I can still change the compatibility description, but I see it as technically vanilla since other vanilla mapsets break the sprite limit as well.  Let me know what you think of this :)

Fun fact, TNT's MAP27 is NOT vanilla and my game crashed during my first playthrough because of this :O

TNTMAP27.png.1e18e05463739dff4effc290de3138b2.png

Getting 100% kills was previously impossible in vanilla and some source ports like Crispy Doom due to the changes I made to explosive barrels.  The explosion is delayed and this seems to prevent a Pain Elemental in an inaccessible area from being pushed through a teleporter when the barrel is crushed.  I made the changes to the barrels after most of my tests with vanilla/Crispy Doom and I just assumed that this wouldn't affect 100% kills because I knew the barrels were still functioning (I tested the barrels outside to verify this, not the barrel that gets crushed inside the mall).  I should've tested this crusher again in vanilla, but I completely overlooked it because I assumed it would still work.  I apologize for this mistake because I still have my own standards for a joke WAD :D

For this update, I've moved the Pain Elemental behind the switch and when you press it, the wall will lower to reveal him.  The updated WAD can be downloaded from either link in the original post or from the links below.  Thanks for reading this message :)

http://dcgretrowave.com/doom87/harmless.zip

harmless.zip

I just spent over two hours playing this mod and I've come to the conclusion that it might be a little too difficult, even as a joke WAD since this can be completed in theory.  Maybe I just need to play better and stop getting wrecked by the "special" Pain Elementals, but I'm considering an update that will add some more health.  I'm thinking about adding two more megaspheres outside which should be enough since I was pretty close with my last attempt.  We shall see, though.  I was playing in DOSBox to record gameplay and now I'm going back to my DOS PC to play it for real this time :D.  If I can pull it off, I'll probably leave it in its current state since this joke WAD just needs to be beatable, regardless of the difficulty because joke WAD :D

Update: I completely missed two megaspheres on the ledge outside.  I forgot that I put them there XD.  Once I discovered that, I managed to beat it with 48% health left, so it is actually beatable, although it's still crazy hard :D

IMG_20200911_181443.jpg.af8adbc05ca3b5006887236f1cfe84fb.jpg

I beat it on my DOS PC and the game is now making fun of me for taking so long :O

Edited by DCG Retrowave

The Beholder from DOOM RPG is about to join forces with the "Special" Pain Elementals to be kinda not nice to Mr. Doomguy 😲😲😲

More "Harmless Pain Elementals?" content is coming soon!  Also, the Rahovart from DOOM RPG will be joining the funnies too :D

Any more news on this? Currently up to some pain elemental hilariosity.

7 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Any more news on this? Currently up to some pain elemental hilariosity.

Since the mall used in "Harmless Pain Elementals?" has been updated slightly in other WADs featuring it, I'll definitely be releasing a new update soon with the Rahovart :D