Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jello

Cool noise in ruiner

So I was sitting there eating and listening to the Nine inch nails song "ruiner" and I could have swore I heard the noise the plasma rifle makes when it fires. I was thinking "what the hell, I'm not playing doom" so I rewound the song and at about 1:53 into it, after he says "didn't you" you can hear a plasma rifle. I just thought this was kinda cool. It also shows that I've been playing too much doom for my own damn good if I can pick that up with the volume down pretty low and I'm not even paying attention to it....Time for more doom!

The first person who starts talking about songs which "inspired" Bobby Prince in this thread will... well, I dunno what will happen to them, but don't anyway. Please? :)

Around 1:53 you said, after/around "didn't you?" Should I be able to hear that in the version straight from The Downward Spiral? I don't hear anything but the same plucked string synth that had been going on throughout the song already...

There's no such sound there. Great song, though.

Near the end of the guitar solo part, I think Trent integrates the drag-and-clip noise a respirator makes into the rhythm.

'Wollt Uhr Das In Flammensehen' by Rammstien uses the weapon pickup and player death sounds from Doom.

I once saw a music video, in which a girl closed the door of a car.
When the door slammed shut, I heared the exact same sound they used in Operation Flashpoint for anti-tank rocket explosions. I laughed all the way through that stupid video.

Spike said:

'Wollt Uhr Das In Flammensehen' by Rammstien uses the weapon pickup and player death sounds from Doom.

Though the weapon pickup really sound uncannily alike with the sound midway through Wollt Ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen it is not so.

The sound is produced by a guitar. I think someone told me it was made by unplugging it and plugging it again rapidly.

Hevn't heard the sound, but I will check.

Was Doom out when Halo 8 came out?

if you're realy up for listening for weird messages in songs, try these three:

NIN - A Warm Place (0:16, turn up your volume)

Rush - The Camera Eye

Beatles - Strawberry Feilds Forever

Ultimate DooMer said:

I've heard the boss shooter sound (when a cube comes out of the brain) on TV many times.

And I thought it was just me! Yeah, I've heard that sound waaaaaay too many times on TV as well. :)

Insomniac said:

I can hear something going on there, but what the hell is he saying?

I think that a lot of the sounds from Doom were either from fairly standard audio collections or that they were made from textbook examples on how to do sounds. I've heard a ton of sounds that are uncannily familiar to the Doom sounds, but I think it's just because they're so easy to make. Something that sounded like the boss-spitter sound was in some stupid SUV commercial where it was driving around in the snow or something, and the death sounds for the Imp sound suspiciously like a llama.

Insomniac said:

'I' before 'e', except after 'c'.

Disorder said:

I can hear something going on there, but what the hell is he saying?

"the best thing about life, is knowing you put it together"

Insomniac said:

if you're realy up for listening for weird messages in songs, try these three:

Rush - The Camera Eye

You should also try playing "Another One Bites The Dust" backwards by Michael Jackson. It sounds like he's saying, "It's fun to smoke marajuanna".

NiGHTMARE said:

'I' before 'e', except after 'c'.

Lennon also says "Cranberry Sauce", which many fans interpreted as "I buried Paul"

Little Faith said:

The sound is produced by a guitar. I think someone told me it was made by unplugging it and plugging it again rapidly.

That isn't to say Doom's shotgun sound couldn't use the same source.

I'd imagine each original sound source would be mastered to fit the mix it's going into. A few EQ tweaks can drastically change a sound sample, let alone speed or pitch tweaks.

TeamKill said:

You should also try playing "Another One Bites The Dust" backwards by Michael Jackson. It sounds like he's saying, "It's fun to smoke marajuanna".

Queen, asshat. Queen.

DC

I have an old drum and bass record (well, jungle, it dates back to 1995 or so) that is covered in Doom samples: in particular, the shotgun, door opening, teleporter, plasma gun...

I'm surprised I haven't heard more dance records with Doom sounds on them. I mean, the whole genre is sample-oriented. It's probably because by the time Doom came out, the UK rave scene had decided that sort of sample was "cheesy" and that sort of record didn't get played any more.

Thank you very much, Power Pill, or whatever the hell that record which basically looped a breakbeat over the Pacman theme was called...

RjY said:

I have an old drum and bass record (well, jungle, it dates back to 1995 or so) that is covered in Doom samples: in particular, the shotgun, door opening, teleporter, plasma gun...

I've got that tune as well - the first (and only, in fact) one I know to have used DooM samples.

The early 90's rave scene had started dying in 1993 when DooM came out, so everyone had stopped making mad tunes with weird samples in. (early Prodigy etc.)

RjY said:

Ultimate DooMer said:

I've got that tune as well - the first (and only, in fact) one I know to have used DooM samples.

Will someone be kind enough to tell me the name of the Artist and of the music (or even of the record) please?

About the reverse trick in music, have fun here:

http://reversespeech.com/music_reversals.htm

Cacodreams said:

Will someone be kind enough to tell me the name of the Artist and of the music (or even of the record) please?

Assuming me and RjY are talking about the same tune (although it's hard to imagine it not being so), it's "Dibby DJ" by DJ Invincible and Matticus.
(I dug out the drum 'n' bass compilation with the tune on it)

Ultimate DooMer said:

Assuming me and RjY are talking about the same tune (although it's hard to imagine it not being so), it's "Dibby DJ" by DJ Invincible and Matticus.
(I dug out the drum 'n' bass compilation with the tune on it)

That's the one. "Dibby Dibby DJ", sung to the tune of "Frere Jacques"(!) My copy is on this compilation called "drum and bass floorburners"... 40 tracks for ten quid, fantastic:)