Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old-Doomguy

Do you guys even lift?

On 9/10/2020 at 2:56 PM, Aaron Blain said:

[...] virtually no experience with one-upmanship.

Experience with what?

On 9/10/2020 at 2:56 PM, Aaron Blain said:

If you count your reps backward it shaves off an instruction.

Hey now, you don't want to fry your Commodore 64 into smithereens do you!

I tried deadlift today, for like the first time for real. About a year ago I tried it with too light weight and was like huh, what's the point of this exercise. Now I had 50kg and did 3 series with 10 repeats. Could probably had more, but it was ok.

Also I've planned a weight lifting competition for school and now I've found the 3rd move for it with weights. So it's going to have bench press, clean & press/push/jerk (style is free) and deadlift. Then it's going to have some exercises with just body weight: chin ups, hanging from the bar and squats (this could have been with weights, but the school gym doesn't have a squat rack stand for the barbell). Don't know yet if I get to actually do the competition.

Funny thing happened today when I was going to the gym, some old woman kept the door open for me to the gym downstairs corridor, and then the same old woman opened the door to the locker/changing room and insisted that I go in first.

46 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Experience with what?

Ah, sorry, a weird phrase. Competitive male posturing. Phallus waving. Urination contests. Do you even do pointer arithmetic, Bro?

I get a macho kick out of C. But then I don't program for a living, so it's all a game to me.

Another subject where egos are a problem.

2 hours ago, TwinBeast said:

I tried deadlift today, for like the first time for real. About a year ago I tried it with too light weight and was like huh, what's the point of this exercise. Now I had 50kg and did 3 series with 10 repeats. Could probably had more, but it was ok.

Also I've planned a weight lifting competition for school and now I've found the 3rd move for it with weights. So it's going to have bench press, clean & press/push/jerk (style is free) and deadlift. Then it's going to have some exercises with just body weight: chin ups, hanging from the bar and squats (this could have been with weights, but the school gym doesn't have a squat rack stand for the barbell). Don't know yet if I get to actually do the competition.

Funny thing happened today when I was going to the gym, some old woman kept the door open for me to the gym downstairs corridor, and then the same old woman opened the door to the locker/changing room and insisted that I go in first.

Good job! Yeah you could probably do more, my tip is to do heavy deadlifts with 5 reps 5 sets. You should go heavy there because there are so many muscles involved. 

But begin low just as your doing right now. Perfect form is key and when it's flawless you go heavier. 

On 9/10/2020 at 10:57 AM, printz said:

Same with me, except that I don't cycle nearly as long due to the hilly terrain. Half of it is gruelling climbing (testing my endurance), half of it joyful but intense descent (testing my riding attention).

I cannot do that at home due to lack of hills, but this summer when I was on vacation I did a 160km tour in the Black Forest, up to here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldberg_Pass

On 9/10/2020 at 4:59 AM, NoXion said:

I much prefer mountain climbing and hill walking

This. Mountaineering and hiking are passions of mine. I don't get the chance to do it as much as I would like, but it's just on another level of exercise and endurance. Mountain climbing is by far the hardest and most tiring thing I've ever done, and I haven't even gotten to technical climbing. It's absolutely worth it.

Here are some pics of my last climb. Tajumulco Volcano if anyone is curious.

119241456_945575102588716_1858370756406128402_n.jpg.65b0fe82c24ccc5876759c7154753984.jpg

119388754_355308932319230_1884235863358640069_n.jpg.2f786df8ebecb66c355a84381b56d9a1.jpg

If you want a good forearm workout, start working at a gas station where the primary thing they sell is 30 racks of Busch Light. 30x16oz=480, which is 3.75 gal of basically water, so 30 pounds, times 16 to restock the shelf, however many times a day thirsty rednecks show up, plus all the other beer and soda and groceries...

6 hours ago, Endless said:

This. Mountaineering and hiking are passions of mine. I don't get the chance to do it as much as I would like, but it's just on another level of exercise and endurance. Mountain climbing is by far the hardest and most tiring thing I've ever done, and I haven't even gotten to technical climbing. It's absolutely worth it.

Here are some pics of my last climb. Tajumulco Volcano if anyone is curious.

119241456_945575102588716_1858370756406128402_n.jpg.65b0fe82c24ccc5876759c7154753984.jpg

119388754_355308932319230_1884235863358640069_n.jpg.2f786df8ebecb66c355a84381b56d9a1.jpg

How tall is Tajumulco? How long did it take you to get up there and down again?

The highest I've climbed is Ben Nevis in Scotland, which has a summit 1345 metres (4413 ft) above sea level. It was just about doable in a single day for my young self and the rest of the family, although I distinctly remember being so tired on the way down that I was beginning to hallucinate. I've only been up there that one time, but I'm hoping to return.

The next tallest is Snowdon/Yr Wyddfa in north Wales, which is 1085 metres (3560 feet), which I've climbed loads of times due to being very familiar with the local area. The only problem I have with Snowdon is that it's a bit too accessible; the last time I went up there in 2018, I was a bit miffed at what felt like bloody crowds of people going up the mountain with me and my friend. Although by the time we started heading down from the summit, it seems like almost everyone else had already buggered off home. So my friend and I got to enjoy climbing down Snowdon in the sunset on our own, which was very nice.

Here's a couple of photos I took from that 2018 trip:

56481865-10156479298517400-7539866198238

My first view of the skyline on the other side of the mountain as I was climbing up. Seeing these hazy-blue views and breathing that bracing mountain air are among the things that make the entire trip worthwhile for me.

56416843-10156479299907400-8379450721703

This was the view when we started heading down from the mountain. Even going down the tourist path we met only a handful of people.

On 9/10/2020 at 1:58 AM, Graf Zahl said:

No, I don't lift. I prefer cycling - during summer 1500-2000km per month. No, I didn't lose weight, but I also didn't gain any since I started.

Those 10kg from my early computing years will probably never go away anymore... :(

Nah man, you just lift programming blocks instead :p . Also 2000km/month, wtf? How?

As for me, no, I don't either, it just never appealed to me personally, I prefer walking and running on long distances and doing random exercises instead, though I've been told I should multiple times since I'm really skinny (you'd think those moments when I said I'm a sack of bones was sarcasm due to being a wisecracking forum spammer, but it wasn't, I'm weeeeeell into underweight territory for my age and don't seem capable to put on any weight from food, not even junk food lol, so that's probably the only way to build some mass eventually).

Then again, the last 5 years of my life were so stressful there's no way I could do it even if I wanted to, I would've lost all the gain from stress alone...

1 hour ago, seed said:

Nah man, you just lift programming blocks instead :p . Also 2000km/month, wtf? How?

As for me, no, I don't either, it just never appealed to me personally, I prefer walking and running on long distances and doing random exercises instead, though I've been told I should multiple times since I'm really skinny (you'd think those moments when I said I'm a sack of bones was sarcasm due to being a wisecracking forum spammer, but it wasn't, I'm weeeeeell into underweight territory for my age and don't seem capable to put on any weight from food, not even junk food lol, so that's probably the only way to build some mass eventually).

Then again, the last 5 years of my life were so stressful there's no way I could do it even if I wanted to, I would've lost all the gain from stress alone...

But the lifting would've reduced your stress hormones!

20 minutes ago, Old-Doomguy said:

But the lifting would've reduced your stress hormones!

Or at the very least, exercise intensively (and consistently). Doesn't have to be ALL HEAVY EXERCISES, things as simple as push-ups and sit-ups can do much if done intensively and consistently

Anyway, I've reached a streak of 4 days exercising. Still far away from being consistent... Hope I can be more intensive on another days than today's exercises.

1 hour ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Or at the very least, exercise intensively (and consistently). Doesn't have to be ALL HEAVY EXERCISES, things as simple as push-ups and sit-ups can do much if done intensively and consistently

Anyway, I've reached a streak of 4 days exercising. Still far away from being consistent... Hope I can be more intensive on another days than today's exercises.

Pushups are great, so are pretty much every exercise whether with weights or not. 

But in my experience the really heavy compound lifts gives more of a stress-reducing effect. I can be really stressed out and pissed at times. Exercise really helps against that - but the push-ups don't have that effect on me - sadly. 

Good job with 4 days, remember to rest as well. Resting is as important as doing the reps. 

@seed In the distant past people used to worry and tell me I'm too skinny often. At some point I started lifting so they would stop saying it. And now the same sort of people might tell me I'm too muscular for a woman and shouldn't lift. Don't listen to this sort of people, you're good as you are whether you lift or not. Walking and running long distances is pretty good exercise anyway.

@Old-Doomguy It used to work like that, but I've been overloaded with stress and depression. If I have a too long break between series, I might start to feel like crying. Gym 3 times a week used to be enough to prevent excessive crying.

The gym really does help psychologically in my experience. And the perceived bro-iness was always a misconception I had before going. The most helpful people I ever met at the gym were guys who someone might have a negative stereotype about in passing. It was one of many things that forced me to reconfigure my perspective on this childish mindset of the “good”, “nice” nerd versus the “mean”, “idiot” jock. Like in reality, I realized I hung out with a lot of bitter loser “nerds” as a high schooler and that there are a lot well-adjusted people who better themselves (which makes sense in retrospect but that perverse mindset is still omnipresent). This was actually touched upon in 30 Rock by Tina Fey, where she realizes she was the shitty person in high school, not the popular girls.

I have encountered people who are assholes at the gym and in my experience they are the people who should be a lot more humble than they are if they are judging people by numbers. They tend to just be assholes in general who now happen to be in a gym setting, not gym elites who are assholes.

9 hours ago, NoXion said:

How tall is Tajumulco? How long did it take you to get up there and down again?

The volcano is 4.220m above sea level. Not an easy climb, but still not super hard. The hard part is that above 3000 meters you already have to be a used to high altitude, or else you'll start suffering mountain sickness, which in the worst cases can be lethal.

It took our team about 9 hours to get up to the top, and about 5-6 hours to get down. We camped on the summit too. Since the latitude of my country is on the Tropic of Cancer, there's no snow here (normally) despite the fact it was waaay above most mountains on the continent and the temperature was quite low at -4 or -6 celsius.

It is, indeed, tiring af. By already half of the volcano (or any mountain that goes beyond 2000m) the legs start to burn, and it only gets worse if it's a mountain with a defined triangle form. Surely not for the faint of heart. An experience to never forget, and one that in the ends feels like a true victory and well deserved challenge. Someday I hope I can climb the Rocky Mountains both in Canada and West US, and also some of the mountains and volcanoes of the Andes.

21 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

I get a macho kick out of C. But then I don't program for a living, so it's all a game to me.

Same, pal. Same.

Not yet.

3 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

The gym really does help psychologically in my experience. And the perceived bro-iness was always a misconception I had before going. The most helpful people I ever met at the gym were guys who someone might have a negative stereotype about in passing. It was one of many things that forced me to reconfigure my perspective on this childish mindset of the “good”, “nice” nerd versus the “mean”, “idiot” jock. Like in reality, I realized I hung out with a lot of bitter loser “nerds” as a high schooler and that there are a lot well-adjusted people who better themselves (which makes sense in retrospect but that perverse mindset is still omnipresent). This was actually touched upon in 30 Rock by Tina Fey, where she realizes she was the shitty person in high school, not the popular girls.

I have encountered people who are assholes at the gym and in my experience they are the people who should be a lot more humble than they are if they are judging people by numbers. They tend to just be assholes in general who now happen to be in a gym setting, not gym elites who are assholes.

Yeah it's not like every gymgoer is a so called bro hehe. Most gymgoers are only there to get the job done and then call it a day. I generally spend 45-60 minutes there. I've seen some noobs and pros alike - apparent assholes maybe three times.

The first few times I was there I was of course intimidated but quickly learned that no one cares how heavy or light I lift. 

8 hours ago, TwinBeast said:

@seed In the distant past people used to worry and tell me I'm too skinny often. At some point I started lifting so they would stop saying it. And now the same sort of people might tell me I'm too muscular for a woman and shouldn't lift. Don't listen to this sort of people, you're good as you are whether you lift or not. Walking and running long distances is pretty good exercise anyway.

@Old-Doomguy It used to work like that, but I've been overloaded with stress and depression. If I have a too long break between series, I might start to feel like crying. Gym 3 times a week used to be enough to prevent excessive crying.

What is it that you generally cry about? I'm glad that exercise helps, whatever the case!

1 hour ago, Old-Doomguy said:

What is it that you generally cry about? I'm glad that exercise helps, whatever the case!

I cry about my unsuccessful life that's completely FUBAR. It doesn't help that much anymore, though I suppose I might kill myself if I don't exercise. Maybe I'll die in the gym if I train hard enough.

The happiest week of the year was when the gyms re-opened in June and I was able to lift some real weights again. After a 3 month experiment, I learned that body weight exercises and cardio just aren't anywhere near good enough.

This is my current exercise regiment:

- Backsquats (up to 305 lb)

- 45 degree dumbbell press (up to 75 lb each hand)

- Deadlifts (up to 315 lb)

That's it. No fancy overcomplicated gimmicks. Cardio is in the past.

Edited by AndrewB

8 hours ago, TwinBeast said:

I cry about my unsuccessful life that's completely FUBAR. It doesn't help that much anymore, though I suppose I might kill myself if I don't exercise. Maybe I'll die in the gym if I train hard enough.

Hey listen, crying never solves anything although sometimes it sure feels that way. 

Well, going to the gym and pumping iron won't automatically make your life successful and I doubt you would die lifting, but it could seriously injure you if you go to hard, which in that case would make you cry more, ie feel more bad. 

Whats your name? How old are you? Where do you live? 

I'm Richard, 34, and I live in the northern parts of Sweden in a town called Luleå. The gym is a 3 minute walk away but I'm only there once a week right now. 

I did some pushups last night but my wrist hurts after boxing a heavy bag with too light gloves. 

My life has been a world of shit, especially when growing up, so I am what you would generally call unsuccessful in life. (I stopped caring about school at age 14) Low salary, rental apartment, old car, old computer etc etc. But I do feed my family and make sure the kids will never go through what I did as a kid. 

I have some mental health issues and working out is a good treatment for this but it won't change my salary etc 👍🖖

Used to go 5-6 times a week before corona... Now I just jog 2 miles now and then. Life was way better when spending time in the gym. Everything else outside of the gym was easier. 

41 minutes ago, Dr. Toboggan said:

Used to go 5-6 times a week before corona... Now I just jog 2 miles now and then. Life was way better when spending time in the gym. Everything else outside of the gym was easier. 

Agree. 

Boxing is a really great exercise to add. It gives great cardio and endurance. Even some strength if you have a bag or a buddy. 

Here's how it looked when I did a pad drill with a friend a few months ago. 

IMG_6519.PNG

On 9/12/2020 at 9:56 AM, seed said:

Well, I just did 87 km today. If the weather holds over a month, just do the math... ;)

When the gym closed I tried running, body weight stuff, and whatever I could do with dumbbells. Wasn't the same as teh gym. Ate more junk food :(

I been back since June. I'm still paranoid about exposure so I train only one day a week. Do a full body workout. Hit every muscle group as hard as I can through dumbbell, barbell, machine exercises. I do them in whatever order the stations / equip is available. 

I make it as flexible as possible. If I don't get a barbell for bench I'll just do dumbbells instead. I'm actually liking it better than the split routine.

Gyms bring in all kinds but the majority are positive and helpful. That old meme laughing at an overweight person in a gym is like laughing at a homeless person at a job fair. 

12 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Well, I just did 87 km today. If the weather holds over a month, just do the math... ;)

What kind of bike do you have?.I love riding the bike as well but with two kids and a sick wife, I rarely get the chance to take it for a good spin. 

I have a 2019 Crescent Kebne which is a entry level bike but I love it. 

15 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Heh, okay, the better question would probably be "where do you ride for almost 100km daily?" I'd have to go through my entire city twice or three times to get close to that distance.

15 minutes ago, seed said:

Heh, okay, the better question would probably be "where do you ride for almost 100km daily?" I'd have to go through my entire city twice or three times to get close to that distance.

Well, you can ride a circuit through your county and surrounding regions. 

I've done 82km in two 41km (26 mile) stints cycling to and from work before. Took a long time though, so I'll stick to catching the train. 😅