• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Beat Grazza Demos Month

These are demos which I tried to beat but failed:

ks23 pacifist, only one exit and it was 0:26

wtrfront speed, only one exit, 1:10

neb03 nightmare pacifist, it was very tempting, 0:05 with low miliseconds, but lol I didn't even get a 5, 0:06 with high miliseconds was my best

I was playing with area51 map01, but I knew someone would post it. By the time Bdubzzz posted his, my best was 13:24, so yeah. With the baron telefragging I also only took risk to telefrag one, but general strategy and flow and aggressiveness were much worse in my attempts.

Grazza's demos... I actually didn't mean to participate. I thought 50% of his demos are about glides, and 99% about tricks, and when there are no tricks he apologises in the .txt... But Grazza was also recording pioneer runs on some WADs he liked, especially in the beginning, so he was doing what I was doing also in 2010-2011 and sometimes today. I discovered cool WADs, trydent, hate, rage20, dna_tech, escape3. Also alleys, because of the mapper of callisto. Lots of questionable quality ones, too, but I did my best to avoid them :)

Very impressive runs here, congratulations to @GrumpyCat and @4shockblast. From my memory I liked most Icarus MAP10 3 second NM Speed and fort5 MAP04 Max (which I tried myself)... Cool demos by others, too.

Thanks, it was unexpected!
I want to thank 4shockblast for organizing it, and of course Grazza.
It was interesting because of huge number of demos to choose from in all categories, most with some tricks, and many obscure wads.
In a lot of cases I just blindly copied Grazza's routes and tricks, so all credits to him.
Yes, bonus lists was good idea.

It is gratifying to see that this month's contest has been pretty popular. I guess it makes sense, given that I have always been more interested in recording demos with interesting ideas, and less keen (or adept) at grinding the times down. I haven't watched all (or even the majority) of the demos yet (I'm basically taking September off and doing some travelling, as far as this is possible/safe at the moment), but many have surprised and impressed me. 4shockblast's Icarus map04 NM is obviously very nice and hard-worked, and his TVR map10 Speed highly creative, while an improved Build NM Pacifist was really something I didn't expect. But it would be wrong to pick out a list of favourites given that there are many I haven't watched. Some of the Maxes from various players are very entertaining for sure.

It is good to see that some went unbeaten, but whether this is because they are actually good, flukey or just no one wanted to play the maps, I don't know.

If GrumpyCat would actually like the free chess book promised early in the thread, please PM me.