Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorogrimm

What does GZ in GZDoom mean?

Ok seriously I don’t feel like looking it up in the doom wiki what does gzdoom stand for? I know zdoom was first and I’ve always assumed the g came from OpenGL but just a guess

19 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Skulltag = The old version of Zandronum with a seventy-billion-times-cooler name, derived from DogTag.

Yes... this 100%! 

But more importantly .... is it "zee DooM"? Or is is "zed DooM"? Inquiring minds want to know.

But staying on topic: What does "DooM" in GZDoom mean?

Just now, Artman2004 said:

What do you think of 3DGE/EDGE's name?

Edgy, don't you think?

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Odamex = O Dam, a Mexican server, it's gonna lag like hell!.. Actually means Online Doom... experience... fuck, I used to know.. 

Online Doom Arena Multiplayer Experience?

A bit redundant but it'd work as an acronym.

1 hour ago, ReX said:

What does "DooM" in GZDoom mean?

Aparently doesn't means Doom anymore. All the code is changed and some purists insists that this engine can only emulate Doom, but even with all compatibility flags turned on, can't reproduce a 100% legit experience. Basically a Matrix-like macabre emulation of a world that looks, sounds, and feels like Doom, but in fact, is not real Doom, just a simulation.
We should just start calling it GZ. Or "Graf Zahl Engine". or GZE.

3DGE is a little weird, but I still think it has a cool factor. EDGE is also a decent name on it's own, better than the majority anyway.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

"Hey, Z is a pretty cool looking and sounding letter, let's use that"

I can't confirm it but I'm sure I asked somewhere at some point and that was roughly the answer I was given. It could be total bullshit or a joke but I never questioned it further.. I will say though that ZDoom still has the best source port name out of them all:

GZDoom / LZDoom / PrBoom+ = Too many letters, just sounds like an unappealing jumble, even though the ports are actually great.

Zandronum = Another overly-long jumble that's hard to spell, pronounce, and still doesn't make sense even when you know where the name comes from.

Skulltag = The old version of Zandronum with a seventy-billion-times-cooler name, derived from DogTag.

Odamex = O Dam, a Mexican server, it's gonna lag like hell!.. Actually means Online Doom... experience... fuck, I used to know.. Fantastic port, but underwhelming name. Was going to be named Zwango at one point, which is also a little odd, but still sounds cooler and makes more sense historically.

ZDaemon = Matt Daemon.

K8VaVoom = Actually sounds kind of cool, and it sort of "has to" since it's based on VaVoom, but it does feel a little too long-winded similar to PrB / GZD / etc.

Eternity Engine = Genuinely one of the best named source ports. A little longer than ZDoom so it's a touch less "punchy" but compared to the others it's a downright great name.

Chocolate Doom / Crispy Doom = Sounds a little silly at first, but an endearing name, and makes sense coming off the back of Vanilla Doom.

Doom Legacy = As far as port names go, this one is probably second only to ZDoom. Sounds cool and catchy.

Doom95 = Rolls off the tongue better than literally all of these, but wearing your age right in the name, well, ages the port.. (So glad Doom 2016 followed that convention, 100% intelligence)

This old community has loads of great source ports!... But not loads of great source port names...

*cough* Doomsday *cough*

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Eternity Engine = Genuinely one of the best named source ports. A little longer than ZDoom so it's a touch less "punchy" but compared to the others it's a downright great name.

Do you really think so? I always had the impression that its name is one of those things holding EE back. It's neither catchy nor has it any connection to Doom making the port fall off the radar of virtually everybody.

3 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Do you really think so? I always had the impression that its name is one of those things holding EE back. It's neither catchy nor has it any connection to Doom making the port fall off the radar of virtually everybody.

Oh, jolly, gratuitous personal attacks disguised as "helpfully concerned I wanna help you grow". I don't care that you're addressing the port name instead of its contributors, it's basically the same kind of light (but effective) toxic gaslighting of attacking the essence of the idea instead of doing anything constructive.

Well, say what you want, but that's the impression I always got when discussing source ports with other people.

Also regarding "anything constructive", remember that combined UDMF namespace thing? It led to nothing which was surely not for my failure of trying. That end result was certainly *very* conductive for future endeavours.

And if you want something really constructive that increases visibility, how about changing your project's description on Github? All it says about itself is "The Eternity Engine". Now everybody coming your way immediately knows what it's all about! Put something more in there - but don't forget the word "Doom", because that text is searched when people enter text in the global search box. And your little project (obviously) does not pop up when someone searches for "Doom". If you don't do a tiny bit of advertisement, with that name people simply won't find you - and that's not an opinion, that's a fact.

40 minutes ago, printz said:

Oh, jolly, gratuitous personal attacks disguised as "helpfully concerned I wanna help you grow". I don't care that you're addressing the port name instead of its contributors, it's basically the same kind of light (but effective) toxic gaslighting of attacking the essence of the idea instead of doing anything constructive.

So negative opinions about the Eternity engine automatically equals to personal attacks?

3 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

*cough* Doomsday *cough*

Can't believe I forgot that one. I always thought that was a good name (And JDoom was a good name too, for similar reasons to ZDoom.)

On the note of 3D model based ports, Risen3D is one I've always been torn about. It's a pretty sweet name, but for some reason it doesn't evoke Doom for me despite that.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

I don't want to get involved with any arguments between you developers.. I appreciate all the stuff you guys do for Doom. IMO, the more ways to play it, the merrier. Just want to make my thoughts clear on that so no one takes anything here the wrong way.

However, between Eternal Doom which is a well known wad and Doom Eternal now being out, I can't help but wonder if - solely for "marketing" purposes - maybe being called The Eternal Engine would help make the connection clearer, since Graf mentions here how the connection to Doom isn't instantly clear.

Heck, that's the only reason I'm criticizing names in the first place; if anything I want these ports to have as wide appeal as possible since so much effort has been put into them all and they all have their own interesting flavor. Having a catchy name can be the difference between obscurity and mainstream appeal, because we humans are shallow dum dums.

51 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

So negative opinions about the Eternity engine automatically equals to personal attacks?

If they seek to make one think there's something inherently wrong and cause doubts without explaining what, yes they are. They're meant to undermine someone's efforts without being overt about it (so they're disguised as helpful advice). The fallacy is that it's usually the opinion of part of the community projected as general consensus -- or by inventing issues which aren't there. Usually it's best to debunk such accusations instantly because they don't help, they just serve to waste time, divert the priorities or doubt one's abilities if taken seriously. 

Granted I was able to get a more constructive reply on the second try. I'm still interpreting it as I want: the concern that the word "eternal" gets mixed on search with that id blockbuster is a valid one.

Edited by printz

45 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Yeah this reminds me of something.

I don't think the name is an issue though, I mean "Doomsday Engine" isn't particularly that much better either, is it?

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

And if you want something really constructive that increases visibility, how about changing your project's description on Github? All it says about itself is "The Eternity Engine". Now everybody coming your way immediately knows what it's all about!

The readme is pretty informative, however, which is really just below on the main page.

I like the name Eternity Engine. Sounds good to me. In fact it is the name that got me curious about it. Eventually, I stumbled upon various wikis describing the port. Now, I am using it quite a lot to test it out. Might very well replace PrBoom+ for my personnal usage.

What I mean is... I have no idea where people get the notion that it needs a better name. It works.

I like jumbles of letters because they make it easier to unambiguously search.

The problem with "Doomsday" or "Eternity" as names is that they're actual words so if you search for it, you'll get a lot of false positives. For example, this search will give you a lot of wads that have "Doomsday" somewhere in their description, but try to find how many of those have a text file that actually references the Doomsday Engine...

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

I like jumbles of letters because they make it easier to unambiguously search.

The problem with "Doomsday" or "Eternity" as names is that they're actual words so if you search for it, you'll get a lot of false positives. For example, this search will give you a lot of wads that have "Doomsday" somewhere in their description, but try to find how many of those have a text file that actually references the Doomsday Engine...

Well... Searching for "Doomsday ENGINE" or "Eternity ENGINE" does give good results. On Google at least.

Only on Doomworld can a questionnaire about the origins of GZ in GZDoom turn into a epic rap battle between authors of GoodZhit Doom and Eternity Engine.

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

your little project

Wow. How come you always turn into a condescending prick when it comes to other people's work? 

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Can't believe I forgot that one.

Doomsday was actually the first time I'd played Doom with a source port around '09/10. Thought it was the tits until I tried ZDoom and then naturally moved to GZDoom. I really love the improved lighting effects in Doomsday but I prefer the extended mod support and engine additions in GZDoom which Doomsday doesn't have. Doomsday's 3D model support never really interested me because the models weren't good enough.

10 hours ago, ReX said:

But more importantly .... is it "zee DooM"? Or is is "zed DooM"? Inquiring minds want to know.

But staying on topic: What does "DooM" in GZDoom mean?

I was going to make a post about how "Zed-doom" is much harder on the tongue than "Zee-doom" thus the latter is the superior pronounciation. 

Even though I secretly hate how m'america pronounces 'z', I can never get behind calling it "zed doom"

Anyway, I don't think this has been mentioned, but on the actual topic, I think it was ZDoomGL, then was changed to GZDoom as time went on? A proper port historian can correct me on this.

Also, at different times I've in my head pronounced it "Graf Zahl Doom", "Gez Doom", and "Grazza Doom" as it took me forever to learn these 3 were different people, before two of them had avatars.

8 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

*cough* Doomsday *cough*

forgetting Doomsday is a bannable offense imo.

Doomkid to me is now just SomeKidIdk