Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bob372

New map by me (v.2)

Hi i have updated my map I changed a lot of stuff I hope you guys like it

doom map666.v.2.zip

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200916_064606.png.1f167b3f9f8ac94f82ceca35d3773110.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200916_064637.png.976844075c2e653115b235ff423426f4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200916_064652.png.f0dec7a5f2e4d01187304dcecd00a1d1.png

Old Post

Spoiler

Hi I am new to making maps but I thought I would put this out so you guy can send me suggestions.

doom map666.zip

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200914_103515.png.7456ca99a6492a1b79359d4c63072a3a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200914_103542.png.1e3b1bb7cf81946ba2c1afed29e650b4.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200914_103606.png

this picture keeps showing up here instead of in the spoilers 

Edited by bob372

I recorded my playthrough of your map. You definitely have some new things to add to your mapping toolbox yet - like visual indicators for key doors, marking your secret sectors, some variation in floor heights and monster encounters - but this is not at all a bad start! Playing it through was a pleasant experience.

Pretty basic stuff, but it's competent. I'd say your biggest issues are space and variety as the combat was very boring due to the lack of demon variants on display and the map is very cramped. Not sure what is but a lot of beginners seem to make their maps feel like you're strapped in a cramped little maze. Doom's combat flows so much better and is way more fun when you give both the player and the demons a lot of space to move around. Sticking the demons in tiny cramped corridors leads the player to just bottleneck them from a short distance in a dull, conveyour-belt manner that's no fun or sporting. You don't need to make your rooms the size of a football field as that's excessive and has its own issues, but don't be afraid to make areas more spacious. You seem to have an all right grasp on height variation, but only have one example in the whole map. I'd recommend playing with that a hell of a lot more so you can create some interesting architecture that will help make the map more fun and also design it around the combat scenarios and have those two aspects work together to create a more fun experience overall. Besides the final room with the Hell Knights, the map's also really drab to look at as you used more or less the same three metal textures throughout, which turns it into an ugly blur and also can hurt its progression as the player can get lost among the ocean of the same textures stretched all over the joint. Incidentally, it's important to mark your doors with their corresponding coloured keys and also texture your doors with the correct textures. If the yellow key "door" is an optional secret, which I'm kind of assuming it is given the lack of marker and proper door texture, you need to make it harder to acquire the yellow key, rather than just have it sitting on the floor in an easily-accessible room. I'd say the final room with the Hell Knights is the strongest part of the map, as it feels like more effort and imagination was put it, but it still could be better if it wasn't so cramped.

Hey it's pretty nice for a first effort! i'm sure you'll find plenty of tech resources and other great map designs here to draw inspiration from, if you want to continue on making wads.

Thank you for the suggestions guys!

I am planing on updating my map and using the advice you gave me to hopefully make it better

looks like you uploaded the wrong zip file or something

Edit: looks like you fixed it

Edit2: Its small but I liked it and I thought that the soul sphere secret was cool also its a big improvement compared to the last version

Edited by EndHack