Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdagenet

Anguish - Custom Doom 64 map

I had a great time testing it and definitely recommend! I need to replay it to see how the final version has changed. Oh and for people new to loading custom maps into the Remaster / EX...

Doom 64 EX / Remaster are compatible with the Doom launcher program ZDL and they also support the -file command in their respective launch options. For example -file “C:\Files\Anguish.wad”. Here is how to access the steam launch options for a program: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1040-JWMT-2947

Gave it a whirl. Played on I Own Doom Difficulty, and had a blast. Very frantic level, felt like I rarely had a moment to catch my breath. Always felt like death was mere moments away. I didn't find any secrets on my first attempt, so I'll have to give it another go and have a proper look. Great reuse of space too, and visually quite appealing. Health was a little scarce, but manageable. I do feel like this level was purposefully designed to make me rocket myself multiple times though haha.

27 minutes ago, whybmonotacrab said:

Gave it a whirl. Played on I Own Doom Difficulty, and had a blast. Very frantic level, felt like I rarely had a moment to catch my breath. Always felt like death was mere moments away. I didn't find any secrets on my first attempt, so I'll have to give it another go and have a proper look. Great reuse of space too, and visually quite appealing. Health was a little scarce, but manageable. I do feel like this level was purposefully designed to make me rocket myself multiple times though haha.

Yeah, everything from the health down to the ammo was strategically placed in a way that requires the player to be cautious how they approach and what they use in fights. Glad you liked it!

Keep the maps comin'. I wish I knew how to map specifically so I could make Doom 64 maps. One goal I have in the back of my mind is to copy some of the great Doom megawads into Doom 64. I know Doom 64 is missing some Doom 2 enemies, so specifically the megawad I want to recreate in Doom 64 the most is Base Ganymede because it's a vanilla-compatible Doom 1 megawad and it's one of my favorites.

Hello. I thought you might like to watch a blind run, so I recorded a demo.

The new PC port does not support demo recording or playback, so I recorded this demo using Doom 64 EX. I haven't played Doom 64 in a while and I forgot just how good the game looked, so I did a lot of stopping just to look around. I also played pretty slowly because I was anticipating lots of ambushes.

Play the demo with the usual parameters: -file jdagenet_anguish.wad -playdemo anguishskill4blindrun

https://anonfiles.com/3aP7rdW0o2/AnguishSkill4BlindRun_lmp

I'm pretty sure I used the latest Doom 64 EX version available on the website. You also need a copy of the Doom 64 ROM; it won't work with the PC port's wad. I'm pretty sure jdagenet knows all this; this is just in case of the off-chance that someone else might wanna watch

The screenshots are already sucking me in! It seems you really took advantage of Doom64's features here. I will have to give this a try as well.

Edit: Fired up this level and played a bit and it was definitely challenging for me, but not in a way I hate.  The use of color as I have seen so far has been wonderful and the use of textures is great.  This feels like what a Doom 64 level should look like.

Edited by Eric Claus

I recorded a 100% kills/secrets run with fast monsters enabled. Spoiler warning: this being a 100% secrets run, I do grab the well-hidden secret(s), so I recommend you play the map first before watching

Spoiler

My thoughts: my only complaint is that this leaves me wanting more. This run was ~7 minutes whereas my other run on your other map, Wretched, took ~14 minutes. Wretched felt like more of an adventure because of its length, and because it's also significantly more difficult, especially with fast monsters; it took me days of chipping away at it to learn how to UV-Fast Wretched consistently. This level, Anguish, reminds me of Scythe in that it's a bite-sized level; it would do well in a ten-level PWAD or episode of similarly-sized levels, and full-episode runs of the said episode would be a lot of fun.

Link to Wretched in case you don't have it:

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The map did start out as a speed map so yes it is quite small in size but my rule of thumb is always quality over quantity :D

Larger maps can be difficult for me to produce and finish a lot of the time so speed mapping a layout and THEN finalizing the little details is a nice little work flow and offers a good change in pace compared to my usual methods.

It's definitely has a lot more attention to small details than Wretched. It's a very good level. Do you have a link to your other maps? I know these ain't your first two.

You should definitely create a Doom 64 megawad of a bunch of small levels; it could be the greatest Doom 64 custom content created to date. Does Doom 64 support death exits? That way, it could be divided up into episodes

5 minutes ago, RonnieColeman said:

You should definitely create a Doom 64 megawad of a bunch of small levels; it could be the greatest Doom 64 custom content created to date. Does Doom 64 support death exits? That way, it could be divided up into episodes

That would be a good idea! Perhaps even for a community event. Series of small maps. Perhaps start off as a single-episode event. Then if it is popular enough, do more episodes until its a megawad.

2 hours ago, RonnieColeman said:

It's definitely has a lot more attention to small details than Wretched. It's a very good level. Do you have a link to your other maps? I know these ain't your first two.

I honestly don’t have many maps out there, I’m a rather terrible mapper in terms of designing something that I think is good enough to post. I released a little Boom map sometime ago called Galine that was okay. I do have some old old maps for Doom 64 EX I released like 9 years ago but they’re REALLY bad, I’d rather not speak about those lol (you can find some gameplay on Youtube of them though I’m pretty sure).

I’ve done some work in the past for some Zandronum deathmatch sets but that was mostly composing music tracks and such, not a whole lot of mapping.

I wouldn’t trust myself for a second to actually finish a megawad of sorts, at least not yet heh. Maybe one day it’ll happen.

Inspired by the @RonnieColeman play through, I also played Anguish on "Watch Me Die" difficulty from pistol start with no mid-level saving and fast monsters (what I call Ultra Hard mode). I took twice the time and had less finesse; but I had fun and the map is a good challenge with those settings!

Is this played on D64EX? or on the new port with texture filering off?

Also I wanted to asked sooner but I didn't want to post off-topic but whatever: how do I get the custom sounds to work in the new port?

9 minutes ago, RonnieColeman said:

Is this played on D64EX? or on the new port with texture filering off?

Also I wanted to asked sooner but I didn't want to post off-topic but whatever: how do I get the custom sounds to work in the new port?

This is done on the Remaster but with texture filtering off. And in reference to custom sounds, do you mean how to load a wad with custom sounds in it, or how to mod in your own custom sounds for the remaster in general? :)

2 minutes ago, RonnieColeman said:

I was talking about your custom sounds mod. IIRC I was supposed to type -file doomsnd.sf2 but it didn't work in the new port

Oh okay! Ya unfortunately the Remaster doesn't support sf2, instead download the wads here. I recommend the new beta versions: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/avwyyi3xdfrxov4/AADO3ufcIza6Hhw_m-AtWO4ca?dl=0

And the command to load the sounds and music would be...

-file "C:/Directory/MorphSound64 1.1 beta.wad" "C:/Directory/MorphMusic64 1.1 beta.wad"

You dont need the directory stuff if its in the same directory as the doom 64 exe.

4 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Interestingly Anguish is compatible with N64 hardware too!

Very cool! Also, does this mean the next Merciless Edition will allow custom mapa as well?

1 hour ago, taufan99 said:

Very cool! Also, does this mean the next Merciless Edition will allow custom mapa as well?

Effectively yes! Although it wont be easy to just plug maps in. But people can recompile the Merciless Edition ROM with the N64 SDK with a custom WAD. And ofcourse I am happy to compile ROMs for people if they send me the WADs with the custom maps.