Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spineapple tea

What do y'all think is the best song of all time?

There's been a lot of posts about music like, "favorite Doom midi?" or "what are you listening to?", but I don't think I've seen someone ask what they think the best song ever is. So let me ask, what do you think is the best song ever?

Edit: A lot of people have said that music cannot be narrowed down into one "best" song. So to tell you again, you do not need to post one, and you can change your answer if you feel like it.

Edited by N1ck

Personally I think that a lot of songs kinda follow this style. Slow build up to a climatic finish. Also, this particular video has so much passion in every note. Gives me the tingles 

I am going to also go with something said in the past when I think this was asked about videogames.

It is whatever I feel it is at any given time.

Right now - 

Since I don't think anyone can just decide what the best song of all time is, I'll say you can post more than one song, or change your answer if you feel like it.

I have so many...

It definitely changes over time but I have perennial favourites.

Try this one:

Or this:

Or even this:

Up the Irons!!

Edited by smeghammer

54 minutes ago, Smoothandz said:

Also, this particular video has so much passion in every note. Gives me the tingles

And talking of classical, try this:

If this ain't metal, dunno what is!

Sorry for posting on this a lot but thanks for answering with actual songs. I've been doing a survey along with this post by posting this question in a bunch of other places, and it's been a complete mess. Some highlights from other sources are, Fruit Salad by The Wiggles, Megalovania by Toby Fox, and my personal favorite, Fuck You by Unknown. 

9 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

And talking of classical, try this:

If this ain't metal, dunno what is!

Can I just say THANK YOU!!! I have heard this song before, but I never knew what the name of it was. You are spot on with this one! This, to me, is by far one of the most powerful pieces of music I've ever heard.

You are welcome :-)

8 minutes ago, Smoothandz said:

This, to me, is by far one of the most powerful pieces of music I've ever heard.

Yeah, sends shivers down my spine every time. It is excellent. There is a vast amount of classical music, most of which I have no idea about, but certain pieces have stuck all my life. This is most definitely one of them.

You can probably tell from my handle and my above posts I like a bit of classic rock and metal... - there are many occasions where rock musicians have cited classical music as big influences (https://projectrevolver.org/features/articles/how-classical-music-influenced-modern-metal-music/, http://rockclassical.com/article.html [caution - not SSL], etc.). So certain styles of classical music certainly float my boat as well as metal. An excellent example of the clear crossover is DragonForce - very classically structured pieces. 

My favorite songs are either Uncle Johns Band by The Grateful Dead, Kathy's song or For Emily or April Come She Will by Simon and Garfunkel, In My Life by The Beatles, or I Shall Be Released by Bob Dylan. I can't really decide. They're all really good!

3 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

In My Life by The Beatles

My favorite song by the band, excellent choice!

Just now, LiT_gam3r said:

I can't really decide. They're all really good!

It's almost impossible to say just one song is my favourite - mood changes, new songs come along, my taste just changes. I certainly couldn't definitively say song 'X' is my favourite. All I can do is list those that have stuck with me.

I'm certain I could expand my list greatly.  

1 minute ago, DSC said:

My favorite song by the band, excellent choice!

Bob Dylan Wrote it, and The Band played it. Later, Dylan Joined The Band, and they played the song together, then, Dylan played it by himself on one of his greatest hits album, and finally performed it live with them at The Last Waltz. 

I don't like thinking of music in such a narrow way that I could just pick favourites, since its unique power is that it can basically represent all possible human emotions and experiences, including some that are hard to describe and don't appear at all in ordinary life. I don't think any single piece of music can create such a broad and powerful impact to the point that it could be elevated to stand among all others, any more than you could argue that having lungs is more important for living than having a heart. Maybe I'm overthinking it and the actual purpose of this thread is just for people to post various stuff they happen to enjoy a lot.

I don't know about the "best" song of all time, but this is my favorite ever since I heard it as a little kid. 

Cygnet Committee by David Bowie:

Tastes change over time, but this song blew my mind the first time I heard it, lodged itself firmly in my head, and has never left. It's so good.

I think if I were to base a response on just what of blows me the most away, I will see if I can at least keep it to a handful;

It has some stiff competition from several other Opeth songs but I do think this is their best one overall.

spellbinding

Something about the flow and mood of this one just seems very special to me. 

Both parts seperate are great, but together there is a definite build up that I absolutely love. 

All of it. A 40 minute face melter

If you feel the way I do at 4:15 you'll know it. And it was really hard to pick a best song for Be'lakor because they're consistency is incredible, and really it's for specific riffs this one barely edges it.

And I could go on which is why I will stop there because it really changes a lot for me, because these bands are all crazy good to me. What I want from most in music is to go on a journey and boy are these journeys. 

3 hours ago, N1ck said:

There's been a lot of posts about music like, "favorite Doom midi?" or "what are you listening to?", but I don't think I've seen someone ask what they think the best song ever is. So let me ask, what do you think is the best song ever?

Music is subjective.

Next question.

Edit: A lot of people have said that music cannot be narrowed down into one "best" song. So to tell you again, you do not need to post one, and you can change your answer if you feel like it.

Still highly subjective. Basically the question is actually ''What kind of music do you like?'' and have people list examples.

Somehow i am not surprised @hybridial's taste in music. Some interesting songs to check out, however!

Changing answers makes little sense if you can list multiple answers in the first place.

This is a hard one to answer. I have three Rush songs that I have in the top three spot or something.

On other days Spirit of Radio and Subdivisions are in the top 3 or something.

Then I gravitate to Iron Maiden! Like @smeghammer said with Hallowed Be Thy Name. After Hallowed I have a hard time choosing between Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Alexander The Great, Powerslave and a dozen others... Like @hybridial said it's a changing thing. Today I'll choose...

Powerslave! UP THE IRONS!!!

When I get into Megadeth, which is often, I always have to play these two songs.

I don't think, that such thing even exists, at least not in my case. Every time I find a song, that I really like I tend to listen to it, until I get absolutely sick of it.

31 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Hybrid Moments

Okay, I have to give love to The Misfits. That was basically high-school for me. Although I would go with "Where Eagles Dare" myself.

I know this topic is highly subjective, but for me it would be "Oh Comely" by Neutral Milk Hotel. I think it's the most perfect song ever made. But there are so many genres and sub-genres out there to consider, I picked three. Ask me tomorrow and I would probably answer differently.

After that, Slayer, with Angel of Death.

Edited by Jello

I don't think I'll ever have a single favorite song; it changes with my mood, but I can share some songs that have been on repeat recently.