Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dirk

Maps that are easy to learn?

I'm absolutely terrible at navigation, and so I've found that the only maps that I really enjoy playing are those that are really easy to learn, or else ones that I've played an untold number of times.  Any suggestions for WADs that feature particularly intuitive layouts/navigation?

17 minutes ago, Dirk said:

I'm absolutely terrible at navigation, and so I've found that the only maps that I really enjoy playing are those that are really easy to learn, or else ones that I've played an untold number of times.  Any suggestions for WADs that feature particularly intuitive layouts/navigation?

ORIGWAD.PWD.

(If you'd like a more serious answer, that's a tougher question. What is "intuitive" varies from mapper to mapper, since to some it's basically a highly linear level, while to others it's basically momentary branches but a central structure, etc.)

Tough question for the same reasons @Dark Pulse said. Very subjective question.
I think a lot of maps attempt to balance between non-linear while avoiding things like symmetry & confusing layouts. This isn't always the case and sometimes used to great effect. Honestly, I'd suggest looking at some of the more popular megawads out there (cacowards might be a fine start) because a decent portion of them flow well enough that you will just find yourself practically being led or pushed by different stressors or architectural cues inherent in -what may be understood as- good level design. 

You can also just play this ;)

I tend to find maps with difficult navigation a little offputting myself, and that's partly why I have a thing for small, short maps; they tend to be easy to navigate. If you haven't already played Scythe 1 and 2, those might have what you're looking for. Otherwise, you could let us know if that's close to what you have in mind.

Scythe is pretty damn linear, Alien Vendetta is also very linear, but not always in a good way.

4 hours ago, Dirk said:

I'm absolutely terrible at navigation

You should use the automap more to find uncharted areas. Look for open-ended lines near the edge of the map: that's a place where you didn't go and should visit. And if you're surrounded by monsters, you can pause while in the automap. No matter if paused or not, you can turn off follow mode (using the "F" key) and use the arrow keys to scroll the map.

Ports like GZDoom may make the automap easier to use because you get the option to have it overlaid without losing sight of your surroundings. It can also be textured so you get a better view of how each area looks (kinda like Google Maps satellite view).

I have found Deathless pretty navigable. Some maps might be tricky but overall I didn't feel punished if I went the "Wrong Way".  The challenge was more in the fights and "Solving" the map.  Ymmv though.

As said, very subjective. I don't mind a bit of exploring though. I guess also that a really well designed level will subtly point the way without being obvious about it. I think by definition almost, any huge level will always be hard to navigate though, even if it does have path pointers of some sort.

I must admit, IDBEHOLDA does get used quite a bit for mew/big levels, particularly if I am running around in circles...

Anyway, I recommend a classic mapset that is quite hard IMHO but also very obvious in terms of path - UAC Ultra. Another that is pretty good in terms of obvious path and excellent gameplay is Dark 7.

15 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I rarely found myself getting lost in Scythe, Fava Beans, Coffee Break, Pirate Doom (for GZDoom), MagicDoom, and The Far Side of Phobos. I also try to make all of my maps reasonably easy to navigate. Hopefully you'll have fun with these suggestions

I'm not having the same problems as OP but thanks for turning me on to The Far Side of Phobos, I've never heard of this one.

Try Magnolia or Finely Crafted Fetish Film. Extremely transparent and intuitive in layout and mechanics.

Magnolia_MAP03_map.png.2b244a530ef1c3fcf9415bf74779807e.png

See what I mean?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I'm looking forward to trying these out this weekend!